New York Giants Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers: What to Watch For

August 10th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The wait is finally over. For the first time here in 2013, the New York Giants will put on their pads and hit someone else. In other words, are you ready for some football?

'20121104-1-Giants vs Steelers (14)' photo (c) 2012, Jack and Dianne - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Tonight, Big Blue will take on the Pittsburgh Steelers in their first preseason game, and although starters will take between only 12-15 snaps, there's still plenty to keep an eye on. After all, these preseason games provide opportunities to propel young careers a la wide receiver Victor Cruz. They also help determine starting and reserve jobs, while others simply fight for their spot on the 53-man roster. Accordingly, there's plenty to keep an eye on after kickoff at 7:30 PM EST.

Linebackers: Every single position at linebacker is wide open. It's very literally an open competition and everyone has a chance to not only make the team, but earn the opportunity to start. Mark Herzlich will begin in the middle with Keith Rivers and Spencer Paysinger on the outside, but they will quickly be followed-up by Dan Connor, Jacquian Williams and Aaron Curry. We'll also get to see plenty of Jake Muasau, Kyle Bosworth and Etienne Sabino. Six spots, three to the starters and nine men vying for those jobs. It should be intense.

David Wilson: Wilson is the man now. Plain and simple. Yes, he will split carries with Andre Brown, but when all is said and done, he's the starting running back for the New York Giants and he'll have to show improvement in his pass protection and blitz pick-up. And against the Steelers, he's going to have quite a few opportunities to test exactly how far he's come in that area, as running back coach Jerald Ingram plans to use him quite a bit tonight. It will also be interesting to see if he returns kicks.

David Carr vs. Ryan Nassib: Can the Giants really afford to use three roster spots on quarterbacks? They say that's the plan, but injuries to Jason Pierre-Paul, Henry Hynoski and an overall uncertainty about some of their defensive backs returning from injury may prevent them from doing so. As such, the battle within the battle between Carr and Nassib could become very important. The Giants traded up to draft Nassib at the NFL Draft this past year, and that means they have to find a space for him or risk losing their entire investment. On the other hand, would they truly feel comfortable with an untested rookie behind Eli Manning when David Carr — a proven and talented veteran — is their other option?

3-4 Defensive Implementation: With the Giants "toying around" with the idea of Justin Tuck as a pass rushing outside linebacker, and some of the 3-4 looks the defense has showed thus far in camp, it will be quite interesting to see how that plays out on the field against a very physical Steelers offense. The fact that Tuck (back) may miss the game could prevent the team from testing it as much as they would like, but fans should fully expect to see some 3-4 looks tonight.

Rookies/Opportunity: Every year, rookies and other young players are given an opportunity to shine. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Tonight will be no different, and fans can expect to see a lot from players like Damontre Moore, Michael Cox, Ryan D'Imperio, Trumaine McBride, Charles James, Adrian Tracy, Adewale Ojomo, Brandon Mosley and many others. It's a chance for you to familiarize yourself with the depth the team has at training camp, to watch players you wouldn't otherwise see and to get a glimpse of some players who are sure to shock everyone and make it onto the 53-man roster.

Tick. Tock. It's only a matter of hours now.

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Adrian Tracy, Brandon Mosley, Charles James, Damontre Moore, David Carr, David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Nassib, Spencer Paysinger, Trumaine McBride

10 Responses to “New York Giants Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers: What to Watch For”

1.  Dirt says:

I picture David Wilson like Tommy Davidson in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls. The Giants are gonna roll into the circle of battle this year and Killdrive is going to turn around, open his burlap sack and let out a growling, spitting, shifty, nasty attacking machine.

No one in the league knows what’s in that sack, but they soon will.

•  kujo says:

Amen!

It’s been a long a– week, and there’s no end in sight. But tonight, I’ll put it all aside, crack open a few beers and watch the Giants play alongside my dad. It’ll be the first of many opportunities to do so now that my wife and I have moved down to West Palm. This season could go t-ts up, and I’d still be happy because I’ll have my pops next to me.

Happy huntin’, fellas. Welcome back to the REAL WORLD!

2.  SouthernYank says:

Hello fellow giants fans! I’ve been reading for at least five years; this is my first time posting. By far my favorite website!

I was wondering if there was any chance one of the writers could post the roster before the game tonight? I’m not sure what all of the new players’ numbers are

Go GMEN!!!

3.  SouthernYank says:

I know that i can go to the giants site. It’d just be nice if it was posted here since i’ll most likely be reading the comments

4.  Aziz Mohamed says:

Things I’m looking forward to seeing tonight..

1. How much has Wilson progressed in his pass blocking from the Eagles game 7 months ago to now?

2. How will Herzlich/Rivers/Paysinger and the other linebackers look like against another teams offensive line and running back?

3. Randle. I want to see if everything I’ve heard up to this point during the offseason is true. He finished off the season against the Eagles last year on a high note, and supposedly he’s made major strides in grasping the offense. We should get a serious look at how our receiving corps will fair this season with Nicks and Randle as the X and Y and Cruz in the slot.

5.  rlhjr says:

Tickled pink about the 34 look. Really can’t wait to see the likes of JPP, Tracy and of course Moore playing both standing up and hand down.

Talk about NASCAR? That’s going to be more like F1. Madden “THAT” haters.

6.  GIANTT says:

Wow , new faces and Dan you sound excited . Im predicting a very good season for the Gints .

Like Kujo and Jim Stoll , I will park myself in front of the TV and crack open the cold ones , I will however as is my tradition watch Giant games alone so that I dont bother anyone else etc . I will watch the reruns a la Jim Stoll and like him I will love the short term memory loss and think I am watching for the first time !
    What will I be looking for tonight ? EVERYTHING because this time of year who knows what will spring up as the surprise of the year ? Another Cruz! a great running game ? Eli cementing his position as a top 5 QB ? (I dont care what the other pundits say , I still think hes in that group ) veterans showing they have come back from injury ? and on and on .
    Are we ready for some football ? heck yeah !

7.  Dirt says:

I got the G-Men at 12-4 this year, provided they stay reasonably healthy on offense, and I am definitely not a homer.

•  Aziz Mohamed says:

I’ve been thinking 11-5 to 12-4 too. Schedule is much easier than last year and we should be a better team (again, provided we stay relatively healthy on both sides of the ball), 2-3 more wins isn’t that much to ask for.

8.  CT GIANT says:

If ever there was a time for the “new DT’s”, to show how hard they can hit and literally stop the run, it’s tonight.
    There are many, Jenkins, Joesph, Patterson, Hankins, Austin, Rogers, they all have one thing in mind, hit hard, hit often, stay in your gaps, and STOP RB’s.

I have no doubt someone will look awesome, someone will look terrible, but’s its a young man game, and the Tracy’s, Ojomo’s, Curry’s, Bosworth, Herlizh, Paysinger, Rivers, Williams will be on display , no hiding, some will get cut, but who starts at LB, three will?
    I am personally hoping Da’rel Scott has a great night in some way, as i belive he
    can be used in some way, he he, not me, has to show the coaches where!
    CT GIANT