Deon Grant Retires from NFL as a Member of the New York Giants

August 7th, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Veteran safety Deon Grant, who spent only two years of his 11-year career with the New York Giants, will officially retire from the NFL as a member of the team.

'I want to retire as a Giant,” Grant said in a press release. "I want to be a Giant for the rest of my life."

Grant, who was a part of the 2011 Super Bowl champion Giants, had several opportunities to sign elsewhere and play last season, but only wanted to return to Big Blue. And although the two sides stayed in contact and left the door open, the reunion never materialized.

"I always said, once I win a ring, I think I’m going to leave the game," Grant added.

Over the course of his 11-year career, Grant played with the Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Seattle Seahawks and, of course, the Giants. He was initially a second-round pick of the Panthers in the 2000 NFL Draft, and would go on to play in 176 NFL games, recording 776 tackles, 6.5 sacks and hauling in 30 interceptions.

Grant joined the Giants as a free agent in 2010 and immediately assumed a leadership role, while also taking over as the third safety. During his brief time, the Giants were able to implement a dominant three-safety look that helped lead them to a Super Bowl XLVI victory. And even in Grant's absence, the third safety position is still widely referred to as the "Deon Grant role."

“The Giants are a connection in my heart that I knew that I was supposed to be there,” Grant said to Giants.com. “The last year that I signed there to go to the Super Bowl I could have signed with a bunch of teams, but I wanted to sign with the Giants. The way that the owners opened the doors and signed me back and the general manager [Jerry Reese] and the coaching staff … we did each other a favor, but it definitely solidified my career for me.”

We certainly wish Grant the very best in his retirement. He had a tremendous reputation during his time in blue, was loved by fans, players and media alike and earned the right to go out however he wanted. Once a Giant, Always a Giant.

Photo credit: Chris Pusateri Photography / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Deon Grant, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

11 Responses to “Deon Grant Retires from NFL as a Member of the New York Giants”

Two years seems like a short time, but the most he spent anywhere was 3. And here he was a champion.

Always liked this guy … glad he retired blue.

That’s great stuff. He was a wonderful addition to the team and I’m glad he wants to be known as part of the Giants’ family. He was one of those late-in-his career safeties who proved that just because a player has lost a step doesn’t mean he cannot be VERY valuable. I suspect Ed Reed will be reminding everyone of that at some point this season. I hope Justin Tuck, Corey Webster, Chris Snee and David Diehl will too.

•  F0XLIN says:

The same can be said for Adrian Wilson in New England this year

And Ramses Barden.

I hear he lost a step and they mistook him for one of those statues that Woody Johnson’s more-talented relative creates that are so life-like. Next thing you know he had a lot of pigeons expressing their opinion of his play on his nearly immobile head.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    August 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Krow – there is a huge difference between an established vet and an unproven player missing practice time. Everyone is not the same so the concern about Snee or Nicks missing time isn’t the same as a Brewer, Pugh or Taylor.

Krow says:
    August 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Weird. Cause Tom Coughlin said yesterday how it was good to have those vets back cause they needed the work … needed the practice. Said it right on TV. Wonder how he could be so wrong ?

Come on of course in a perfect world the coach wants everyone practicing. But the difference in a vet missing some practice time and a younger player is huge. With Nicks and Snee its a matter of trying to get timing. With the other players we are still trying to figure if they can play, what can they do and teach them the system.

Odd that Coughlin sees it differently. What an old fool. You’d think after all these years he’d know better.

Apparently Webster looked pretty good yesterday, Prince is blanketing people, and this guy Scott is outplaying the other “no-names” at cornerback.

Also, according to my friend who was there, it may be tough to dump Muasau, whom he was very impressed with and who apparently laid a huge hit on someone that prompted Coughlin to yell that he didn’t want that. He also said Jacquian Williams was flying around the field and looked like he was showing his very best.

It’s way too early, but it sounds like the defense is more than holding its own against a very potent offense.

He also said that Robinson looks a bit “lumbering” but like Boss used to, finds open areas and gets the ball. He was astounded at how good Myers looks. Said he caught anything anywhere near him.

•  F0XLIN says:

I think Robinson’s massive size makes him look slower than he really is. In and our of his breaks he looked very fluid to me, and saw him turn the corner on a couple LB’ers

5.  BillyS says:

I’m really stoked that Deon Grant is retiring as a Giant. He was here at the end of his career, but he was a very solid player for us. Plus I never recall him ever complaining about not getting as many snaps as some of the other guys. He was content with his place on the depth chart and was eager to share his experience with the younger guys. On top of that he could also contribute and was productive for us. Glad he’ll always be a Giant.