August 5th, 2013 at 2:30 PM
By Doug Rush

Two years ago, the New York Giants drafted cornerback Prince Amukamara in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, but on the second day of his professional career, he suffered a broken foot that kept him on the shelf for four months.

'Commissioner Goodell with Prince Amukamara' photo (c) 2011, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

In his debut game against the Philadelphia Eagles back in November of 2011, Amukamara showed exactly why he was the high draft pick when he intercepted a pass from Vince Young, but then during the stretch run, the then-rookie at times played like he was lost and still needed more time to adapt to the NFL.

Last season, with Aaron Ross playing for another team and Terrell Thomas on the injured reserve for the season with another torn ACL. Amukamara had to step up for the Giants and saw a lot more reps, which only helped him as he gained more experience and more confidence that he was a solid player.

Now, entering his third season in the league, Amukamara is starting to finally show his teammates and coaches exactly why he was that first round pick two years ago, as he has looked even better in training camp for the Giants. When David Satriano of the New York Post asked Amukamara about what the difference was for him, he said it was a confidence issue.

“I think that every corner in this game wants to be the No. 1 corner and so that’s just the mindset that I have,” Amukamara said after practice yesterday. “Just my confidence with this position, playing defensive back, you’ve got to have a certain level of confidence.”

One thing Amukamara mentioned that has helped him is the veteran leadership and presence of the other cornerbacks on the team like Corey Webster Ross, Thomas. Amukamara even said that Thomas has been a big help to him because of how involved he has gotten in making sure he stays focused and sharp on and off the field.

“Right now, I sit right next to [Terrell Thomas] in the room and he is definitely just a student of the game. He is on me more than the coach. He doesn’t even let himself settle, so he’s not going to let me settle. Always wants me to get better and better every day.”

Last month, Amukamara said that he not only wanted to be the number one corner on the Giants, but looked to be the number one corner in the entire NFL, which meant being better than Darrelle Revis and Richard Sherman, who are the top two elite corners in the game right now. If Amukamara's confidence and play can get him to that level, then the Giants truly to have a special player on their hands who will make their defense even better.

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Terrell Thomas

19 Responses to “New York Giants’ Prince Amukamara Cites Confidence, Veteran Presence for Improved Play”

I think Prince is the biggest difference between those that have confidence in this team and others. I see him as a definite #1 CB who will play at a probowl level. To me he played at just under a probowl level last year when healthy. He is the biggest key on the defense. And considering the confidence in Eli maybe our most important player. JPP and Nicks are important but we have quality depth at those positions. At CB we are in big trouble without Prince. We need him to play great and stay healthy. I keep recalling that the Prince was a top 5-10 player coming out at one point. I think injuries slowed him down his first few year but this year he actually puts it together.

•  kujo says:

Your lips to God’s ears. If he plays at an elite level, a lot of our worries about the secondary will be lessened. Combine him with an ascending Hosley, a solid Ross a respectable showing from Webster and maybe something from Thomas, and we should be able to improve on last year’s performance, which was, at times, embarrassing.

My worry is health. I think for the reasons you mentioned we will get improved play if healthy. But we only have 4 CB we can count on. Thomas has to me treated like he won’t contribute until he gets on the field. That’s why this preseason I’m looking hard at our young CBs especially Junior Mertile, Charles James and Terrence Frederick are the guys I’m going to be really paying attention to in the 2nd half. Each is young enough with Frederick being the only non rookie that they could have been overlooked and my turnout to be a diamond in the ruff. The CB position really could use a diamond in the ruff addition talent wise to our CB group. Even if Thomas returns it seems more likely he’s going to help at safety than CB.

Packers left tackle Bulaga out for season

The biggest injury thus far. Now GB has huge questions at both tackles. Maybe after Arod and Mattews he was there most important player.

3.  Andiamo P says:

Prince is progressing at a fine rate.

It’s unreal how Giants fans and media view their players, especially the CBs.

People act like JPP, Eli, Tuck, Webster, etc, etc etc….just came into the league like it was falling off a log.

He played well last year, he even played well in 2011 down the stretch (remember the GB game when Ross got hurt?)

it’s called natural progression….instead the media wants to sell you this story that “he cares more” or “He wants it more now” or “his attitude has changed”.

Always trying to sell these Black or White Stories….

4.  GeezUp says:

A lil late to the party but I don’t see how we can keep David Wilson off the field as our KO return man. This guy is electric!!! If I’m not mistaken Adrian Peterson was the Vikings starting RB and KO returner when he first came into the league. I understand the concern for health in this league but I’ve seen guys suffer a season ending injury without any contact(see Revis).

As far as our LB situation, granted we don’t have a seasoned vet out there but I like this youth movement(Paysinger, Williams, Herzlich). It seems to me all of them have the desire to be great and do whatever it takes to make the team better. I know it takes skill to play in this league but I’ll take guys with strong desire and will who’ll lay it on the line every down v. some guy with great skill who plays as he sees fit.

Cannot help pointing out that many, many Giants fans were ready to call Prince a bust not that long ago. You have GOT to be patient with young players. And those who don’t trust this team’s evaluations are flouting history.

Lions release Devin Thomas

I’m not Barden hater. I think he’s a good option as a 4th WR and decent as a 3rd WR. But on this roster he’s the 5th or 6th WR just because Murphy provides a deep threat option that will keep him in the top 4. If that’s the case and the young WRs continue to underwelm and don’t show long term promise does an option like Thomas make sense. I’m assuming he’s in the same shape health wise as 2 years ago. Thomas is not the WR that Barden is but he was decent for us in that role plus he’s familiar with this system. And much more importantly he was great on special teams and that’s something we could really use as a backup WR. Maybe Thomas is the wrong option but my point is that if Barden isn’t in the top 4 then his roster value isn’t as high as more of a special team’s type of WR.

•  Kevros says:

I agree. Devin Thomas is more valuable to this team than Barden is…

Don’t sleep on Kevin Hardy. This is his ticket too. And he’s on the roster. My bet to displace Barden as the #6.

Hardy has to do it in games and practice. One reason I’m down on these young WRs because none of them is even making a name for themselves in practice. In past years I recall hearing from at least 2 no name WRs making serious noise. Last year it was Douglass and Steinback. Maybe Hardy or someone else emerges but it doesn’t seem like it. Remember the coaches are not looking for a reason to not have Barden on the roster, they are looking for the best 6 WRs in terms of the team winning. Hardy or another WR needs to shine in special teams. Barden because Eli can trust him is going to have the advantage as a WR even against a 4.3 guy.

Well we’re a week into camp … any word on how kane holo?oko?a Snee is doing ?

8.  rlhjr says:

My only issue with Prince was his lack of balls. He let WR’s push him around after plays and never made a move to defend himself. He played scared.

Every since JPP took him for a swim, he’s a changed man. He’s cupped 4 or 5 receivers up side the head last year after his dunking. Sometimes nobody can call you out quite as well as your teammates.

I love this. Just got off plane where I saw Schlereth make Giants sound like dog poo and practically predict a cellar-dwelling season. ESPN, as usual, downgrades Big Blue. Bring on the disrespect. Never mind that they know little of Prince and Hosley, less of Randle, Wilson and Brown, and nothing of our linebackers and the slow youth movement on the O-line (they called it “aging”, which is only part of the story).

Fuel for the fire again. I almost believe ESPN is on Mara’s payroll. They help our cause nearly every season.

10.  Jared says:

Who in their right mind would predict a first round pick to be a bust after only one year? I so not recall any posts of that nature.

Yea, I don’t think much of ESPN’s predictions, but do think the Skins have a legitimate shot at winning the division. The Giants could easily be in the runner up position, once again on the playoff bubble.

•  demo3356 says:

The usual AG characters.. It wasn’t even after one year, the Menses had him labeled a bust like week 11-13 of his rookie season