New York Giants’ Jayron Hosley Stepping up and Possibly In

August 3rd, 2013 at 9:00 AM
By Jen Polashock

We have been discussing who will be that player to step into that true nickel role for the New York Giants — especially after Will Hill was recently informed of a four game suspension from the NFL. It may very well not be a safety.

Although many defensive players are reportedly having strong camps, one second-year player is taking advantage of his clear opportunity. Virginia Tech defensive back, Jayron Hosley is coming into 2013 having played in 12 games in 2012 (six as starter), recorded 40 tackles, five passes defensed, a forced fumble and one interception. He played corner as well as nickel/dime. While he has the coaching likes of corners coach, Peter Giunta and safeties coach, Dave Merritt on his side, invaluable advice comes from his veteran DB brothers and new DB-turned-coach: former New York Giant and Super Bowl champion, Sam Madison.

Hosley admitted to Giants.com recently that he made “rookie mistakes” last season,” but also claims he learned from them.

“I would always take the bait and jump on the guy in front of me instead of playing the guy behind me. This year, I kind of saw it coming [a Curtis Painter pass that he recently intercepted] and I was so used to it last year that I just kind of faked like I was going to take the bait and got back into my drop and he threw it right to me. It was kind of one of those things I was anticipating and more prepared for this year knowing what to expect," Hosley said.

He also sees the value in having someone like Sam Madison helping out from a player/coach point-of-view.

“He’s definitely the real deal,” said Hosley, who admittedly grew up a Dolphins fan, watching Madison play for the fish. “He’s definitely a great person. As a coach, he wants you to be professional, be the best you can be, and he cares and really wants to teach you and show you things that helped him. I look at him as a teacher, so as a student, I want to soak it all up and take anything I can from him and apply it to my game.”

One surprising game facet that Jayron is covering during camp is special teams — as a punt returner. While it may seem like much to put on a still-new plate, he doesn’t appear to be overwhelmed. The 2012 third-round draft pick is approaching it in very Giant-like mindset.

“It’s going pretty good. I’m just working on catching the punts right now, and then progressively, they put in different schemes. I think I got a lot better just knowing what the coaches want and just being able to get that done," Hosley said.

Practice the fundamentals, then carry them out — sounds like soon-to-be Hall of Fame head coach Bill Parcells. On returns: plant, catch, and then run. Keep things simple. Get the guy with the ball. Tackle. Strip, if possible, and recover. Football basics on defense are where Hosley’s head seems to be at — which may very well lead him onto the field much more for the upcoming 2013 season.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Bill Parcells, Dave Merritt, Football, Jayron Hosley, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Peter Giunta, Sam Madison

13 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jayron Hosley Stepping up and Possibly In”

1.  giankees says:

Going to take a drive to watch training camp today any tips to parking or getting close?

2.  giankees says:

Can you not be allowed in if you go after 1:30?

•  Jen Polashock says:

YES– Although they claim to limit the number of fans to 2k, it’s far from truth. Last Saturday had over 7k and fans were coming in after 2pm during practice. The earlier ya get there, the better the bleacher seats you get– I’ve been getting there 12-ish & it works. Of course, I don’t wait on “the line” either…lol.

3.  kujo says:

Giankees!

Take a look at Jaicquan Williams today. We’ve heard about how he’s trying to take that next step, so it would be great to have one our own report back on his progress. Thanks, bub!

4.  GIANTT says:

Reading the divisional news on the side there – u guys think we have problems ?
    Redskins still looking for a linebacker
    Eagles have Riley Cooper to worry about
    Dallas has Romo
    So wheres the worry mate ?

I love Hosley as a long-term member of this team and a future top corner in the slot and possibly even outside because of his leaping ability and recovery speed. He’ll have a tough time beating out Ross this season but should see plenty of playing time. And watch this kid as a future ballhawk who will help keep the turnovers coming from this secondary. He has as good physical ability to jump routes as any corner I’ve seen. Better, physically, than Asante Samuel. He just needs the mental part now.

•  kujo says:

Exactly the corollary player I was thinking of. You can’t teach instincts, but you can smarten them. Asante was the bane of Eli’s existence during his tenure on the Eagles because he just had a read on Eli. Sure, as the years wore on, Eli began to have a read on Samuels as well (he almost always bit on pump fakes and double moves).

Jayron has more quicks and hops than Madison ever had, but if he could become even an approximation of the type of cerebral player as Sam was, he will be the best corner we’ve had in decades.

•  rlhjr says:

The two Cleveland Brown corners (Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield) were the two best “short” corner backs I’ve ever seen play. Both were students of the game and knew the tendencies of the receivers they played against every week.

But Jesus could they run, jump and defend. Wide outs at or above six feet tall had no advantage against them. I think Hosley is cut from the same cloth.

If Madison can school Hosley on the details, Jayron will take it from there. The kid is not afraid to play the game. I like the idea of his returning a kick here and there too.
        We all know Wilson is fast. Hosley can haul a$$ too.