A little less than a week ago, New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks was forced to leave practice after experiencing tightness in his groin. Since then, Nicks has participated on a limited basis, but most of his time has been spent on a stationary bike. That hasn't sat well with wide receivers coach Kevin Gilbride Jr. or head coach Tom Coughlin, who both insist he needs to practice after missing quite a bit of time last year as well.
But Nicks remains optimistic and told reporters on Friday that he will likely return to full practice "in a day or two," and claims that he and Coughlin are on the same page.
“Just trying to protect myself from myself. I’m so competitive. Something I’d have pushed myself & pushed myself through last year," Nicks said. “[Coach Coughlin and I] talk daily about it. We’re on the same page. [Missing practice] is in the best interests of both sides.”
As far as the public perception, Nicks feels fans have things a bit mixed up.
"They're outsiders looking in," he said. "They don't understand."
Fans only understand what they see, and what they've seen is an oft-injured wide receiver who has not yet been able to string together a full 16 game season. It's gotten to a frustrating point for all of those on the outside looking in because they can clearly see what Nicks brings to the table … when he comes to the table. And that frustration won't subside until he's on the field.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.Football, Hakeem Nicks, Kevin Gilbride Jr., New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin
- New York Giants WR Hakeem Nicks Leaves Practice with Tightness in Groin
- New York Giants’ Kevin Gilbride on Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz Missing Practice: “They Both Need It”
- New York Giants WR Coach Kevin Gilbride Jr. on Hakeem Nicks: “He Really Needs to Practice”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/ycy