In recent weeks and months, a debate has raged over the value of the New York Giants' top two wide receivers and which of the duo is not only more talented, but is the team's clear No. 1 wide receiver. Safety Antrel Rolle recently said it was Hakeem Nicks, and on Monday, Victor Cruz agreed with him.
"I think the No. 1 wideout is Hakeem Nicks," Victor Cruz said on NFL Network's "NFL AM" on Monday. "I mean, he's been here longer, he understands this offense. He's our big-play guy, he's on the outside. So I definitely think he's our No. 1 receiver, there's no doubt about it."
That's not to say Cruz isn't valuable, or that he doesn't see the value he brings to the team, but like most, he understands exactly what it is a healthy No. 88 brings to the table. Still, he also feels that wide receivers league-wide should be paid for what they do on the field and not necessarily where they line up (outside vs. slot).
"I do think we've been undervalued; I think it definitely signifies a change in the game," Cruz said. " … I think the numbers are the numbers and they have to be scaled according to the tops in the league no matter where you line up on the field."
And after receiving what amounts to a six-year, $45.879 deal earlier this offseason, it's clear that Cruz has set the table for other slot receivers around the league to cash in on what had previously been an undervalued position.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Projected to Be a Top 20 Fantasy Wide Receiver in 2013
- Antrel Rolle Calls Hakeem Nicks a “Silent Killer” and Says Victor Cruz Can Ruin Your Christmas
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/y3y