New York Giants’ Pat Flaherty: “My Right Tackle is David Diehl”

July 29th, 2013 at 1:25 PM

'David Diehl' photo (c) 2006, Alexa - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ With first-round pick Justin Pugh now under contract and in attendance for his first training camp with the New York Giants, the pressure would appear to be squarely on the shoulders of veteran offensive lineman David Diehl, who has been thrust into a battle for his starting job. Or so you would have thought. But while speaking to the media on Monday, offensive line coach Pat Flaherty said, emphatically, that Diehl is his starting right tackle.

"My right tackle is David Diehl," Flaherty said. "We have a lot of confidence in David Diehl."

That, of course, is not to say Pugh couldn't outplay him and win the job later on in preseason, but out of the gate, it would appear Diehl has the inside edge. And, as he's said in the not too distant past, he's not ready to give up his job, and fully intends to battle it out with the rookie.

“That is part of being in the NFL – it is about competition and competing,” Diehl said in late April. “There are always going to be new guys coming in. It definitely does bring competition and that does nothing but help your football team win games.”

Meanwhile, Pugh is just happy to be at camp, admitting that during the last few days of the contract negotiation he was "sweating it out."

So far, he's worked exclusively at right tackle, but expects to get some work at guard in the near future.

Tags: David Diehl, Football, Justin Pugh, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pat Flaherty

42 Responses to “New York Giants’ Pat Flaherty: “My Right Tackle is David Diehl””

1 2 3

Repost:

The OL I would like to see is Beatty, Brewer, Bass, Snee and Pugh. I believe unlike many that Pugh’s best NFL position is RT (maybe center) because of his feet. I think the guard position doesn’t allow him to fully use his biggest strength. His short arms are more than made up for by his feet. With Brewer at LG it would show his development and that he’s good enough to beat out a very solid player in Boothe. Boothe then would become a great 6th man with Diehl. Boothe would backup the 3 inside positions and Diehl the tackles. I doubt this lineup happens but if it does it says a lot because Pugh and Brewer would have beat out 2 solid and trusted vets.

2.  JimStoll says:

now why do the coaches say things just to make me mad?

Many are going to be disappointed but Pugh or Brewer are going to have to beat out Diehl. Even Beatty never beat out Diehl. Maybe the injury really hurt Diehl last year. While he struggled at LT in 2011 you would think his 2011 play at RT would make him a good or at least solid RT in 2012. I rather see a new face like most but I’m not going say him starting is horrible news yet.

re-post

fanfor55years says:
    July 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM

The line I’d actually love to see would be Beatty, Pugh, Baas, Snee and Diehl. Boothe as Super-Sub. Brewer, Mosley and Cordle as depth. Herman to the practice team along with McCants.

Why Diehl? Because I think we’re going to run a bit more this season and with Pugh’s ability to pull from the left side over to the right we could have run-blockers of Diehl, the tight end, Snee, Pugh (having pulled) and Hynoski. Diehl is a mean SOB in the run game and I’d accept his weakness against speed rushers because it’s Eli’s right side and the QB will get rid of the ball before getting hit very frequently.

It would be great if Brewer beat out Diehl or Pugh beat him out while Brewer replaced Boothe. I’m just not sure that will happen. I’ve said before, DD is one tough customer who will not yield his position easily.

It seems like from the comments Pugh is being looked at at mainly RT. If Pugh doesn’t get his fair share of reps at LG I can’t see them giving him that job.

Probably right, but that is still my ideal line for this season.

Yours is, quite possibly, the starting line next season.

If every player on this team was as tough as David Diehl we’d be odds-on favorite to win the Super Bowl. He’s a mean, nasty, character on that field. The younger guys need to learn from him.

•  JimStoll says:

ugh
      let’s not engage in collective memory loss
      Diehl has been bad, very bad, for 3 years now
      he was very good ’05-’09, but from ’10-’12 he has flat out stunk
      he is presently a liability on the line
      I am hoping flaherety’s comments are intended to say to Pugh: “you think you can hold out and afford to miss OTA’s and mini camp? well, guess again.”

by the third pre-season game, pugh better be taking snaps with the 1′s, or the right side of our line will start the season looking like it did finishing last season — more often than not, not good!

•  rlhjr says:

Kujo must be on vacation. Otherwise he’d have been all over this one.

I admire DD and think his being around will help young players including Pugh and Brewer. But Diehl is better at pirouetts than Baryshnikov.

Like JR said about Moore, “He’s sacks” So to is DD, only for the other team.

6.  rlhjr says:

repost:

Tom Coughlin on the New York Giant’s Defense:

“YOU NEED TO GET A COORDINATOR. LOVEY SMITH WHERE ARE YOU?”

7.  rlhjr says:

I’d watch for Pugh at center or guard. Brewer’s best assett are his feet.
    Thats what got him drafted along with his size. He’d be wasted inside IMHO.
    He could be another McKinze. Dude is has imposing size, not yes as strong) as Reggie.

Pugh is able to play any OL position so I would not rule out his being the replacement for Snee, Baas or Boothe. Pugh’s strong suit is football savy.
    He’d make an excellent center again IMHO.

Why would an athletic guy like Brewer be wasted at guard but an athletic guy like Pugh not be wasted? Pugh has LT feet, Brewer has tackle feet. I think a player with LT feet shouldn’t wasted at guard. Center I could see. But he’s clearly not playing center this year so that’s a future position. I see for year one Pugh be mainly a tackle. Brewer has gotten a lot of reps a guard between the end of last season and this offseason. Brewer wasn’t mentioned by Flattery as challenging for RT so I think as of now Brewer is a guard and a 4th OT. Brewer could bring the pulling aspect that F55 mentioned of Pugh to guard with his athleticism.

•  rlhjr says:

I dont totaly disagree with you. However, a player with left tackle feet should be playing left tackle.

I am also willing to bet that those feet make Pugh more of a fit as a pulling guard. In fact size wise at only 300lbs, pugh is just a bit under sized to be a mauler. I think he’s technician enough to play ROT, but Brewer is a natural and Pugh is much quicker afoot than Brewer. Brewer is potencially a more powerful player than Pugh. Again, IMHO.

From the early reports it seems that Hankins and Moore will be bigger contributors earlier than I expected. I don’t recall any recent rookies besides maybe Cruz getting the glowing reports these guys are getting from the coaches. It seems like each will have a real role on the defense week one. Hankins readiness and if Austin is ready to that probably means we keep 4 DTs. Hankins is one the roster and Austin is very likely so each of them being ready for real snaps means we don’t need to keep a vet because they are not ready.

Giants 101 @Giants_101
    Hakeem Nicks has gone from stretching to catching passes during offensive walkthroughs. #goodsigns

Those panicking yesterday need to find another topic.

10.  LUZZ says: