New York Giants’ Peter Giunta Expects Jayron Hosley to Take Next Step in 2013

July 21st, 2013 at 8:15 AM

With many lingering concerns in the New York Giants secondary — namely injuries and age — second-year cornerback Jayron Hosley has flown under the radar this offseason. The focus has been on the development of Prince Amukamara, the return of Aaron Ross, the health of Terrell Thomas and what to expect of veteran Corey Webster. However, secondary coach Peter Giunta feels Hosley is ready to take that next step in his second NFL season.

"[We're] looking to see if he can play multiple spots — can play the corner and the nickel spot well without making a lot mistakes," Giunta said. "[We want him] out there being productive, making plays for us."

The big transition for Hosley will come when he's moved from the nickel spot to the outside. It's something Giunta plans to work with him extensively on throughout training camp.

"Using the sideline to help him; knowing where he is," Giunta said of what Hosley will need to learn. "Being able to handle a guy on an every down basis instead of being nickel and playing a limited role."

Hosley flashed all sort of talent in 2012, but also made quite a few rookie mistakes. In fact, Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons took the youngster to school during an embarrassing 34-0 week 15 loss. It was a humbling experience for Hosley, who expected to play much better and more aggressive in that game.

It will be worth keeping an eye on the second-year DB throughout training camp because he may ultimately play a larger role in 2013 than many anticipate.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Football, Jayron Hosley, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Peter Giunta, Prince Amukamara, Terrell Thomas

Short URL:

9 Responses to “New York Giants’ Peter Giunta Expects Jayron Hosley to Take Next Step in 2013”

Well, I think most of us have anticipated that Hosley will be the #2 or #3 corner (depending upon how Webster bounces back, if at all), so he’d BETTER improve. He clearly has the talent. But we cannot wait another season for him to learn how to play. It has to happen this year.

I have to add that any of you giving up on Mundy are foolish. Being the #3 safety in a Dick LeBeau defense behind two Pro Bowl quality starters is hardly a bad résumé. Some of you seem to think we should have a superstar at every position. It’s the same syndrome that has most belittling the linebackers. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t work that way in the cap era.

I don’t know what Mundy is and I don’t pretend to have any real opinion. He could be solid or even good in the 3rd safety role. But I like the upside of Cooper or even TT if healthy in that role more. Fortunately, safety is in my view a lot deeper position than CB so we can lose a talent like Hill and still be fine.

2.  giankees says:

I hope hosley steps up and is great and i hope webster is better so we have 3 solid cbs.

Will hill is simple now. He gets caught with anything his career could be over. Hope it snaps him back into shape i feel like he can be a difference maker on def.

Ryan mundy was picked up cause he is a hitter from a great system. But im not sure thr giants think he is the next rolle. He probanly is considered 5th or 6th on the safety chart with great ability to play spec teams. I didnt think much of him just that he hot beat by tebow on a really stupid blown covrrage and that he was an athlete. Maybe change of scenery and diff coaches would devrlop him further. Im not sure reese was tuinking he was a starter by any stretch

I’m guessing he was signed to compete for the #3 spot on the depth chart with the hope Hill would win that competition, and to play special teams, but with the knowledge that Mundy absolutely could give them decent play in a three-safety set.

I’ve said repeatedly that I expected Mundy to be the #3 guy even though I love Hill, and that I thought Hill would, by the end of this season, be headed toward a big-time role IF he could keep his head on straight. I hope for the best for the kid, but he may just not have the ability to stay straight. Sad.

At corner we need a LOT to go right. Prince has to become a #1 corner (I think he will), Hosley needs to take a big step up, Webster needs to play decently, Ross needs to be a very solid depth player, and Thomas or one of the youngsters has to be able to contribute strongly. AND, they need to stay healthy. This is a VERY tall order.

I think Hosley is a key because if Prince or Webster miss any time then I that Holsey needs to be the one to step up. Ross at this point is a backup and shouldn’t be counted on for more than spot duty. Hosley has the ability to be a good player and this year he has to progress towards being that much like Prince did last year.

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, i’d like to say this on the whole Will hill Situation. Being a marijuana user for recreation and medicinal means, it is NOT a PED. It will help relax you and stay calm when playing, but it will certainly not give you an edge in anyway shape or form.

Adderol, is 10000000% a performance enhancing drug. There is no question about it. And I am guilty of using Adderal during Jiu Jitsu competitions to help me stay focused and give me extra energy. There is no doubt that it is performance enhancing.

The problem is he has a separate suspension for each of them. The substance suspension is troubling more because of his background and he already had at least one strike against him with the PED suspension last year.

•  GIANTT says:

I was a teenager in the 60s and there is QUITE a bit I remember and a lot I dont but thats neither here nor there . We are not talking about the physical effects of drugs here , we are talking about the career effects of taking them . Whether you find smoking marijuana harmless or not if you take a job (and thats what pro football is in my opinion ) then there are certain rules and regulations you abide by and receive your reward of a lucrative payday .If the rule is NO DRUGS OR YOU WILL BE SUSPENDED AND NOT GET PAID IF CAUGHT . Then you dont do drugs period . Nobody twisted Hills arm to play football and its the same with any athlete . Heres the rules , if there is something in there that you find particularly onerous to your life style then dont become a pro athlete .