July 20th, 2013 at 3:14 PM
By Kenneth DeJohn

Will Hill has been suspended for four games without pay by the NFL for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, and newcomer Ryan Mundy will now have to step up his game and fill in for Hill while he's on the shelf.

'NY Giants Defense' photo (c) 2009, Heath Brandon - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Mundy played with the Pittsburgh Steelers for the entirety of his four-year career before being signed by the New York Giants this offseason. A safety by trade, Mundy has also seen significant time at cornerback. That being said, the last time he played there consistently came back in 2010.

The 28-year-old West Virginia product is known as one of the hardest hitters in the NFL — even if he's only started five games in his career. He's never missed a game however, playing in all 64 games since he was drafted 194th (sixth round) overall. He has one career interception and two forced fumbles, while only recording 59 career tackles.

Mundy's career has obviously been less-than-stellar up to this point, but Hill's suspension could give him the chance to find more playing time. Stevie Brown and Antrelle Rolle are slated to start at the safety positions, and Mundy likely would have filled in as the immediate backup to Brown. Hill was slated to play behind Rolle but, with him out, head coach Tom Coughlin may not be willing to rely on David Caldwell to take his place. Mundy could feasibly play a dual role as the backup to both Brown and Rolle.

This would put him on the field much more than he would have been otherwise. The ability to play defensive back also gives him an advantage, but the Giants actually have some depth there. In an emergency, Mundy could easily step in.

The focus now will be on his ability to play both strong safety and free safety, though. The Giants defense ranked 31st overall last season, and there wasn't one particular unit that deserved all the blame. The defensive line had issues getting in the backfield, the linebacking unit was decimated by injury and inability, while the secondary allowed big plays and had issues tackling in the open field. Mundy obviously can't help in all of those areas, but he can definitely bring some intensity and hard-hitting to the secondary.

There's also the chance for Mundy to step into a starting role if Brown can't live up to the high expectations he's placed on himself. Brown earned the starter's spot after a stellar 2012 season in terms of takeaways, but oftentimes great safeties and defensive backs don't rack up the interceptions. It'll be his ability to cover and tackle that determines whether or not he plays.

This scenario would have Mundy making an impact far beyond the four games Hill will be suspended for.

Hill was far from a game-changer in 12 games for the Giants last season, but his loss will be felt if Mundy can't step up. In his first season with the Giants, Mundy has the potential to make a huge impact.

Tags: Antrelle Rolle, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Mundy, Stevie Brown, Will Hill

Short URL:

14 Responses to “Will Hill’s Suspension Means Ryan Mundy Needs to Step up and Perform for New York Giants”

I get the feeling the team knew about the suspension for a while. It didn’tmake sense to me that there was no talk of Hill. It not our way to automatically put a vet like Mundy over Hill in OTAs but that’s what we did. You don’t get rid of Hill because there’s too much talent. PED is a different type of trouble. A player like him out of the NFL had strong reasons to try to get back in the NFL. I don’t think this means he hasn’t turned his life in a more positive direction.

This means Thomas and Cooper really have a chance to make an impact at safety. Mundy will start as the 3rd safety but I think Cooper or Thomas can eventually beat him out.

Mundy is a bum … a guy … nothing more. As for Hill … cut our losses. He came into the league with a bad rep … a year later he’s been suspended twice. Remember all that stuff on the Internet? The drugs … the parties .. yeah, he’s THAT guy. And you know what makes it worse … an NFL paycheck. Hasta la vista. Go be someone else’s problem.

I need to revise my original stance. I completely forgot Hill had been suspended for PEDs last year. And while skiming I assumed this was Hill’s first PED violation. This suspension being substance abuse completely chances things. I still don’t know if I would cut him now just because if we have injuries we could use him. But if we did I wouldn’t be upset. I’m extremely disappointed because I had high holes for Hill long term. This shows that even if he’s around this year he can’t be trusted as a long term solution. Very disappointing. Now I think TT has a real chance o being moved to safety. I think cooper will be involved in packages as a nickel LB but don’t know if he will be trusted enough for the 3 safety look at least for the first half of the year. I don’t know if Mundy is any good. By most reports it doesn’t seem so but after seein what Steve Brown did last year I won’t dismiss him yet.

•  MentalHockey says:

He violated the Performance Enhancing Substance policy last season for Adderall. This time its the Substances of Abuse Policy he’s violating. More than likely, he got nabbed for smoking pot.

Looks like there’s a real possibility Hill will be a waste of tremendous talent. That would be too bad. But if he has blown his shot he has no one but himself to blame.

I think Mundy should be just fine in the Deon Grant role. Is he as good as Polaumalu or Ryan Clark? No, but he doesn’t have to be. Frankly, I figured he’d start the season as the #3 guy on the depth chart anyway and Hill would have to thrust him aside over the course of the season.

This creates a possible reprieve for Sash.

5.  TroyThorne says:

Shame Hill couldn’t stay clean. He has a ton of potential.

Ryan Mundy is bad. Like really bad. Like approaching CC Brown levels of terrible. Having him even make the team let alone relying on him for any sort of playing time whatsoever is a scary thought.

If Hill doesn’t blow it now he’ll blow it later. This is like ‘Battered Wife Syndrome’ … he loves me and he’s going to change. Ummmm … no … he isn’t and neither is Chris Brown. This kid has had chance after chance … and he still sparks up. Seriously … what a fool. Back to the neighborhood fool. Say hi to Rolando McClain when you get there.

Hmmmm … I can’t wait for the excuse. This tall tale is going to be very entertaining. I bet his Facebook page was hacked … and they sent him subliminal messages to get high. Or maybe he was kidnapped by aliens who gave him a ganja anal probe. Could happen ! Yeah, that’s it … aliens.

•  MentalHockey says:

“No one told me the brownies had weed in them but now that I think about it, that explains why everyone was laughing their butts off after eating them.”

8.  Dirt says:

Didn’t jfunk call this within the last week?

I still think Sash is in serious roster trouble. I think one of the random CBs has a roster chance because we can now keep 6 CBs with TT or Ross serving as our 5th safety if needed. Also as a 5th safety your role is almost purely special teams and I like a guy like Tweady to play that Martin role from 2 years ago. Sash was also buste last year so I don’t have the greatest faith in him either. I don’t trust Sash to play if needed to play real defensive snaps.

10.  rlhjr says:

REPOST

I thought the kid realized that he could have been out of football and on the street.
    He’s was set to be a really good player.

Like my dad told me, “You can talk to ignorant, but stupid just won’t listen.”

It’s on JR now, and Hill better have a really good excuse or he’ll be hitting the bricks.
    IMHO