When talking about wide receivers Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz, much of the discussion is often focused on how their two different styles of play help break down opposing defenses. However, for defensive backs on the New York Giants, having those two around only serves to make that defensive unit better, says cornerback Prince Amukamara.
"It gets us better. You get the best of both worlds. It's choose your poison. Do you want to go against a fast shifty guy like Cruz or a bigger guy in Nicks. It prepares you for two different types of powers. I'm glad we have that on our team," Amukamara said during a chat with SportsNation on Thursday.
In addition to addressing questions about Nicks and Cruz, video games, pre-game rituals and his potential to break out some dance moves in 2013, Amukamara was also asked what he's gotten better at. And rather than saying it was his footwork, speed or something more field-related, the Prince admitted it was his handling of the oppressive New York media.
"The first thing would be off the field in handling the media. Coming from Nebraska, the coverage in New York is a whirl wind and can be overwhelming. With a lot of stuff that happened, the broken foot, the holdout, the cold tub was preparation for me," he said.
On the field? Well, he's improved on exactly what his teammates have been harping about for the last two years. They call it "swagger;" he calls it confidence.
"On the field, confidence. Just because I played a lot of games last year compared to my first year, it took my game to a whole other level," he added.
He'll need that confidence if he's going to achieve his goal of becoming the best cornerback in the entire league.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Antrel Rolle Calls Hakeem Nicks a “Silent Killer” and Says Victor Cruz Can Ruin Your Christmas
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Offers Teammate, Hakeem Nicks, Some Contract Advice
- Report: Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz No-Show New York Giants Team Physical
- New York Giants’ Kevin Gilbride on Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz Missing Practice: “They Both Need It”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/xkx