July 18th, 2013 at 4:48 PM
By Doug Rush

While developers have been trying to get the American Dreams Complex up and going adjacent to MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, the owners of the New York Giants and Jets have been trying to put a stop to the project, which has since ended up in court.

'NJ Governor Chris Christie' photo (c) 2011, Bob Jagendorf - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The biggest concern the Giants and Jets have is the fact that the complex won't charge a fee for parking, which wouldn't be an issue for them until on game days, where both teams make an estimated $12 million a season on parking fees from the fans outside of the stadium. Fans could simply park in the American Dreams Complex and walk over to the stadium, which is where both teams would stand to lose a ton of revenue during the season.

The goal for the project was to be up for Super Bowl XLVIII in February, which would give the state of New Jersey and the city of East Rutherford another drawing power to lure the out-of-town fans in during Super Bowl week, but with this case now tied up in court, current New Jersey governor Chris Christie doesn't think it will be done in time, and isn't sure if it will ever be up.

“I have personally spent days and days and days negotiating with these parties and I think at this point….I think the teams are being unreasonable in terms of their approach…but ultimately now this is going to be for a court to decide,” Christie said. “I can't do anything further than what's been done — which was to personally intervene and try to bring a resolution — and for the (New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority) to act on its own to approve the changes to the master plan that the American Dream folks requested.”

In the lawsuit, both Giants owner John Mara and Jets owner Woody Johnson cited that traffic would be a nightmare for fans during the season and would cause a tremendous problem for the fans to get to and leave the stadium, which is a legitimate concern, but many feel that Mara and Johnson's biggest concern is the revenue lost over the parking.

In May, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority gave the approval for the developer of American Dreams, Triple Five, to continue building what would be an indoor water park and theme park, which then prompted the Giants and Jets to file a lawsuit to halt production.

Tags: Chris Christie, Football, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Woody Johnson

8 Responses to “NJ Governor Chris Christie Won’t Further Intervene on American Dreams Complex Project”

Everyone is concerned that the fans won’t be eff’d hard enough. Can you imagine … getting to park for free … when you could be lining the pockets of millionaires !!! Totally un-American.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    July 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Repost:

Fewell has his faults but I think especially last year the issue was much more the players. DTs play was poor, as was the LB play and webster forgot how to play football. We will have issues with some calls because Fewell tends to be more conservative than most of us would like. But we have enough to make his defense work this year if the CBs stay healthy. I think the speed at LB is the DL does it job will help a lot in the short to medium range passes that were completed so easily last year.

Krow says:
    July 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    A coach is supposed to put his players in the best position he can for them to succeed. We were 28th against the run and 31st against the pass last season. So if you feel Perry Fewell did a good job then this is about where you think we belong talent-wise.

I think due to injuries and performance our defense did perform poorly last year. I’m not saying Fewell maximized what could have been done. I’m saying maybe a better DC gets us into the low 20s in those categories. Some I’m not saying he has no effect but his influence on the performance last year I feel was overblown. And you can’t overlook that some of the yardage stuff is part of the scheme because we were high in TO forced and didn’t finish that bad in points allowed. With Fewell’s scheme I think even an elite defense is going to struggle to finish in the top 10 in terms of yards but should finish very high in terms of points against and TOs forced.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    July 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Nicks is going to get paid big bucks!

kujo says:
    July 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    …by us.

GOAT56 says:
    July 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    That’s probably true but I don’t think it’s a given. If Nicks has the type of year I think he can have with the running game, Cruz and improved Randle then he might price himself out. I think we franchise him in 2014. I think Nicks is going to want more than we are willing to give but we won’t let him go when we can keep him for 10.5 mil. If we don’t sign him before the year I’m really worried about keeping him long term because what a true #1 WR would be worth on the open market with no other #1 WRs.

A ton of guaranteed money seems like to best way to make it work. Meaning maybe 30 mil in guarantees to offset a 10-11 mil per year offer.

Krow says:
    July 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    The only shot we have is to sign him before we’re deep into the 2013 season. If he hits the market it won’t matter what he did. He’ll still get a mega-offer from someone. He has no ties to the area. He’s won a Superbowl. He’s not big on the celebrity lifestyle or endorsements. There’s no reason he won’t follow the money.

You can’t forget about the franchise tag. Especially given that it might cost 10.5 mil per year or more to sign him the franchise to is a real possibility for 2014. After 2014 it goes up 20% so then it’s long term or he walks. But next year given the contracts we have coming off the books I think Nicks is here via long term deal or franchise tag.

4.  Dirt says:

There is no fvking way Nicks is allowed to leave the Giants after 2013. Or 2014.

No. Fvking. Way.

•  Dirt says:

And to those who got caught up in all the anklegrabbing during the negotiations with Cruz, please save us all the 12 year old girl hysterics during the Nicks negotiations.

Goat … I know we differ on the franchise tag. But I do appreciate that it’s an option. I just don’t feel the Giants would use it. If you look at our history it’s a tactic that’s been employed very sparingly. And I’d be hard pressed to find an example that would parallel Nicks’ situation.

Once it’s gotten to the point where a player decides he’s leaving then trapping them … forcing one more unhappy and reluctant year out of them … well it’s not something the Giants seem to do.

Now if there’s progress on a deal … and they need some space to finish it off … like with Weatherford … then yes, they might do it. But if they’re at impasse then I think they let him walk. Because at that point he has an offer we won’t match. An offer he’ll get a year from now.