July 16th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

When the New York Giants report to training camp on July 26th, first-round draft pick Justin Pugh said he will be there whether he's signed or unsigned. It's a similar stance to the one he took when he arrived for both rookie mini-camp and mandatory team mini-camp. But despite the good will, he remains at odds with Big Blue over his contract — specifically, the guaranteed money.

Every pick from No. 14 through No. 21 have signed with their respective teams — all except Pugh, who has been looking for more guaranteed money on what will likely be a four-year deal worth right around $8.345 million.

Should the two sides not bridge this gap by the time training camp begins, Pugh will be put in a precarious position: does he show up and practice as he said he would or does he risk a holdout?

What it all boils down to is that players selected in the lower teens lack a fully guaranteed fourth year, and that's what Pugh is seeking. It roughly amounts to $750,000, which Pugh would receive in a roster bonus if he's not cut before March of 2016 — something that, theoretically, shouldn't be a problem anyway.

In the end, this seems like a very minor hiccup that the two sides should be able to squash over the next two weeks.

Pugh's former Syracuse teammate, quarterback Ryan Nassib, also remains unsigned.

Tags: Football, Justin Pugh, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

12 Responses to “New York Giants, Justin Pugh Still at Odds Over Guaranteed Money; Holdout Possible?”

1.  JimStoll says:

hopefully this doesn’t go beyond the 26th
    all of us are sort of penciling him in at RT to start the season
    that may already be optimistic given Coughlin’s predilection towards his vets and his distrust of rookies’ readiness, and refusal to let them learn on the job
    if he misses a week plus of camp, especially in this era of fewer practices, he will almost definitely be a red-shirt candidate, and that would mean another season of David “Turnstile” Diehl

•  Chad Eldred says:

Even if Pugh clearly establishes himself in the preseason as the second coming of Anthony Munoz, chances are that DD starts the season at RT.

•  JimStoll says:

sad but true

This belief here on 101 has been way overstated. The rookies that were ready to play or didn’t have good players in front of them have played. Wilson last year wasn’t ready. Randle had vets in front of him that knew their jobs. And Hosley play a lot even though he might have not been ready. Nicks played a ton and so did KP even if he didn’t start. TC doesn’t love playing rookies but he’s not holding the team back.

•  JimStoll says:

yes, but if he’s not there to practice due to a holdout he won’t be “ready” and DD will once again be anchoring (or not) the right side

It possible. But if so how is TC doing something wrong? Pugh can’t afford a hold out. If you’re in competition for any position you have to be present to actually compete.

•  JimStoll says:

I’m not saying TC is doing anything wrong; I’m just saying should Pugh hold out at all the only pugh that will be on the field come opening day will be David Diehl

2.  F0XLIN says:

Repost

F0XLIN says:
    July 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Louis Riddick posted his top GM’s/HC’s charged with building a team in the current NFL salary cap environment

1. Jerry Reese
    2. Ozzie Newsome
    3. Trent Baalke
    4. Bill Belichick
    5. Ted Thompson

Reese: Picking up Damontre Moore in the 3rd and putting him with the DL group in New York is a huge win given JPP’s situation

Signing Brandon Myers to replace Martellus Bennett for 1/2 the price and equal the production is what every team builder wants to do

I can’t see Pugh holding out even if this minor issue isn’t resolved in time. He’s in competition for a starting job and even a few days hold out can make a difference in his quest.

Like F55 I am one of the more optimistic posters here so I thought it would be right to state my concerns for the upcoming season.

1) CB – Reminds me of safety in 2009. If everyone stays healthy I think we will be fine but depth is a major concern. The TT comeback is a great story but even if “healthy” I don’t trust him to start at CB should an injury occur. I don’t trust Ross either. I know Ross was solid 2 years ago but Ross is older than his draft status would indicate and I think he’s close to done. I’m counting on Prince as a given aa our #1 CB to be a very good player. I trust that Webster as a #2 CB can be at least solid. But both starting all 16 games seems unlikely so that’s why my key play at CB is Hosley. I think Holsey has to step up and beat out Ross at slot CB because Ross just isn’t that good. Also, Hosley has to do enough to be next in line as a starter should Prince or Webster miss time. Hosley has the talent to be a good player for us. Hosley wasn’t good last year but he got a lot of snaps as a rookie and I expect tremendous improvement much like Prince from year 1 to year two.

Really CB by far and away is my concern. RT is a concern but with 3 solid options I think we will get good enough play. Even if Diehl wins the job if he plays poorly I think his leash is much shorter than the past because Brewer and/or Pugh or realistic options as well.

LB is a concern for most and I understand why but I’m with F55 on this group. I see much more talent than I have since the Armstead, Barrow days so I have little doubt that they will be better than last year. The group we had last year have resumes but based on last year’s performance it’s hard not to be better than the performance we received.

Safety is another position some question but I really like Hill and Taylor so even if Brown can’t cut it I think we will be fine. I also think allowing Rolle to play more of a free safety plays to his strengths more than how we have had to use him the past few years. A healthy KP is a loss but we can still get quality play from the group we have.

DL has some concern but I think there are so many pieces that can help that we will produce a quality unit even if some players don’t produce. This assuming JPP is back at least in a Beatty 2012 type way for the start of the year.

If Pugh’s here when camp opens then it’s a non-issue. But it bodes ill for the future. If the kid is a contract problem now then one can only imagine the drama in 4 years.

Of course any sort of holdout hurts his chances of starting. And if he misses much pre-season then he’s going to have a flat a$$ by the time he gets off that bench. Any sort of minor injury and he won’t even be dressing for games. I suspect the Coughlin Doghouse is very tough to escape from too.

5.  CT GIANT says:

I’m reading the comments about TC and starting rookies, and unless you’re missing an eye, Coughlin will not start ANY rookie, any time until he is convinced
    they are “really ready”.
    Sorry, as much as I love Coughlin, his stance on rookies in the current NFL, is indeed holding back some guys who should not necessary start, but get some snaps, enough to feel both part of the team, and more importantly, get extremely valueable experience!
    From playing this great game, I can tell you, you cannot learn from practices, it does not make up for “real game time” experience, and he has to get more youth into the mix, as soon as possible. His OCD must take a hit, as mistakes will happen and like Wilson, he showed his talent when given his chance, so much so, Bradshaw feet and money, got cut.
    You can’t pick guys in round #1 & #2 and sit them down very long, and I’ll make bet, you see Randle on 1st & 2nd downs this year, with some serious production, which might have happened sooner, but it will happen this year.
    Coughlin is the man, and is always going to be the man, I am not making any case for any one else, but the need to see the young guys in rotation just makes sense.
    CT GIANT

•  bigjschiese says:

100% agree with you. I do not like to question TC but I never agreed with his stance on rookies. David Wilson has a ton of talent and he flashed enough to make the Giants comfortable enough to let Bradshaw leave. I want to see Pugh on the line this year, have to get younger. DD is not doing the job anymore, he had some great seasons but it is time to move on. Don’t name Pugh the starter now, make him earn it in training camp but he has the talent to get the job done. I was very pleased when the Giants selected Pugh. The draft had a lot of good linemen in it and I wanted the Giants to get one. I also agree Randle will/should be seen more. He made some big plays last year, I hope TC takes the shackles off him.