July 15th, 2013 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

Ever since the verdict was announced in the George Zimmerman trial, there has been an outrage from the community about the outcome, and a lot of NFL players have voiced their opinion about the matter, including New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz.

'Victor Cruz makes the catch' photo (c) 2011, Kathy Vitulano - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Cruz sent out what appeared to be a rather odd and angry tweet about the results of the trial, in which he thought the hood would catch up to Zimmerman and wouldn't last a year out on the streets.

"Thoroughly confused. Zimmerman doesn't last a year before the hood catches up to him," Cruz tweeted.

Cruz did immediately delete the tweet, but it was out long enough to generate news and have it portrayed in an extremely negative light for the newly-signed wide receiver. On Sunday, Cruz did apologize for his tweet about Zimmerman and explained why he deleted it immediately from his Twitter account.

On Monday, Cruz appeared on the Dan Patrick Show and talked about the regret of his message and how he understands his role as a public figure in the community in New Jersey.

“Kids look up to me and I’m a role model to these kids and I don’t want them to think that what I wrote was OK, what I wrote was something that should be done or something that’s positive in our community, because it’s really not,” Cruz said.

He later went on to talk about why the Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman case bothered him so much and how he let his feelings get the best of him, which resulted in his public message on Twitter, something he has since regretted.

“I was a little angry, because as a father you think about if that was your son, if that was your kid that that happened to,” Cruz said. “I put the tweet out there, and once I put it out, I was like, man, that’s not the right thing to say. There’s kids that follow me and I don’t want them to think I’m trying to incite violence on anyone. Those aren’t my intentions, I’m not that type of guy. Where I come from, I heard violence outside my window each and every day. I don’t want to be someone to promote that even more.”

The Martin/Zimmerman case drew national media attention and with the protests out in Los Angeles going on, there will still be some outcry over the verdict. But with Cruz's comments, they will likely blow over and be forgotten, especially once the Giants report to training camp on July 26 and focus their attention on football.

Tags: Football, George Zimmerman, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Trayvon Martin, Victor Cruz

3 Responses to “New York Giants’ Victor Cruz: I Want to Be a Role Model; My Zimmerman Tweet was Wrong”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

and… here…. we….. go…..

I will not comment on this.

Repost:

jfunk says:
    July 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    GOAT56 says:
    July 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    I don’t understand the view that this should be view as Eli’s last best chance.
    —————————————————————————————-

Because all this speculation about the 2014 and 2015 teams being “better” than this team requires a great number of unknowns to workout for the best in order for it to become true.

As fans, saying “yeah this 2013 team looks OK, but just wait to see how good it looks in 2015? could be setting yourself up for huge disappointment. The quality of this team is being overlooked in favor of a hypothetical “dream team” on which all holes have been filled.

The 2014 Giants could easily be without Hakeem Nicks, Andre Brown, Antrel Rolle, and Justin Tuck. Throw in an injury to David Wilson that slows him down to mere mortal speed and say Ruben Randle turns out to be just an average X receiver. Suddenly it won’t matter how many home runs JR hits at LB between now and then. That team may be good enough too, but it could also easily be worse than the 2013 team.

All I’m saying is, don’t be too quick to look to next year. We’ve got a really talented team right now, one that should be good enough on offense to carry the team. Don’t overlook it just because you think it could be better 20 theoretical perfect transactions and a lot of injury luck from now.

GOAT56 says:
    July 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    I’m not overlooking this team. I just don’t view the window is closing because we will have some roster turnover. I’m excited about this year. I think this is the best offense we have fielded in the Eli era. My concerns are on defense but I think the defense can surprise. The DL stops the run and the offense allows us to play from the lead our pass rush to have an influence.

Of course you try to win now and shouldn’t wait my point is that is just that the future looks good as well. Really as long as we have Eli we have a chance. And JR has always surrounded him with enough talent. This is the golden age of Giant football. That age ends when Eli retires not at the end of 2013.

JimStoll says:
    July 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    picking up from the last thread, the two big ?’s on this team are O-Line and overall defense; but of the 2 defense is the biggest concern
    Fewel’s defenses are incredibly soft, don’t get off the field, surrender time of possession, and can get beat equally badly by the run or pass, by bad quarterbacks and good
    although my cyber-friend, FF55, will forever see the untapped potential in every unit and every player, until we see improved production we can only assume that what we’ve seen of late is what we’ll likely see again.
    Our LB’r corps has not visibly improved; our best LB’r over the past 3 years (Boley) is gone; our second best (Kiwi) is returning to his natural position; and our signal caller (Blackburn) has departed. They’ve been replaced with a couple of guys whose great college careers have not translated into great pro careers, and our young guys (Herzlich, Williams and Paysinger) have yet to prove they are anything other than JAG’s).
    Our DT situation is only marginally more promising at the moment We’ve brought in the Eagles’ cast-offs; we’re still hoping a very old and over-weight Rogers has something to offer; we’re banking on Joseph bouncing back from a lackluster 2012 campaign; and we are projecting production out of our no. 2 draft pick which would seem to be at odds with Coughlin’s general approach, as well as the college-to-pro transitional difficulty the position presents.
    Then there is the secondary. We all question Stevie Brown given his poor coverage skills displayed last season. Will Hill is a second year so we need to see if he develops. Hosely is still developing. TT likely won’t make it back — at least the odds are against him.
    In other words, there is a frightening combination of weak defensive philosophy married to sub-par talent. This translates into Eli needing to steer the offense to 30+ points per game, which is difficult to do if the O-Line is inconsistent.

On our defense concern is fair. I think the key is DT and I think you underestimate the improvement considering the version of Canty we only half the season. Our other DTs last year besides Joseph are worse than the Philly cast offs, Rodgers and Hankins. The DT play changes the run defense and allows the pass rush to take play against more favorable down and distances. The improved DL also helps the LBs. I think the LB play was poor last year so regardless it doesn’t take much to be better. The version of Boley, Blackburn and Kiwi we got last year isn’t hard to replace at all. And I think it’s likely that we are better even if just adequate overall.