July 12th, 2013 at 10:00 AM

David Wilson enters 2013 with the starting job essentially his to lose. And although he's bound to split carries with Andre Brown, he's showed enough improvement after only one season in the NFL to become the lead dog for the New York Giants. However, despite what offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride calls "significant growth," there are still some concerns over his blocking ability.

"You see a guy like David Wilson, who started with no clue on who to block, much less how to block, to a pretty good understanding of what it is that he has to do," Gilbride said. "Now it is a matter of doing it. And it is a matter of getting better at it. He is still not 100 percent."

Head coach Tom Coughlin faced endless criticism (primarily from fans) in 2012 for not utilizing Wilson enough, but his blocking ability had been suspect from the onset. And while his performance in practice improved drastically as the year wore on, there were still times on the field where Wilson appeared to be confused and unsure of who to block.

"He still makes mistakes but there has certainly been some significant [growth]," Gilbride added. "Now until you get the pads on -– and he has to show that he, as a smaller guy, can do the things necessary that other small backs in this league have done –- you are still kind of holding your breath when you see him."

It will be imperative for Wilson to improve his blocking ability if he wishes to hang onto the No. 1 role. The Giants pride themselves on the blocking ability of their running backs and each are expected to know their assignments to perfection and execute them accordingly. After all, it's quarterback Eli Manning's health that hangs in the balance.

Tags: Andre Brown, David Wilson, Eli Manning, Football, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

19 Responses to “Giants’ Kevin Gilbride on David Wilson: There are Still Mistakes, but Also “Significant” Growth”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    July 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Should this group of LBs under perform I think it’s more likely Moore and/or Tracy are moved to LB. I think with Williams most agree we are at least adequate at WLB. At MLB it’s going to be Herzlich especially with Conner’s arrest. Herzlich you have to think is at worse Blackburn like. SLB seems to be the real concern though I have good hopes for both Rivers and Curry. I think the sleeper is Paysinger because he’s steadily improved while getting bigger, faster and stronger. Should all fail I still think it’s more likely we turn to Tracy or Moore rather than Kiwi. At DE other than JPP & Tuck we really only have Ojomo whose a legit DE in terms of size. I don’t think we can afford to move Kiwi back to SLB. I think we have more possible answers at SLB than DE when you consider playing the run as well.

GOAT56 says:
    July 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    The player I expect to surprise and be a near pro bowl level player is Joseph. I think many are overlooking him because his play dropped last year. His drop in play from my view is clearly because the DTs beside him should have been no more than a rotational DT in the NFL. Joseph had to play a ton of snaps for a DT of his size and it wore him down. So even by the time Canty returned at less than 100%, Joseph was already warned down. During our SB run Joseph teamed with Canty to provide tremendous play at DT. I think with the vet additions and especially Hankins we will see an even better 2011 version of Joseph in 2013. In some ways Joseph this year reminds me of Beatty last year. He’s shown flashes but it’s his prove it year. I think he will maybe too much so and price himself out of re-signing here.

Repost:

fanfor55years says:
      July 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM
      I don’t really disagree, but he was absolutely putrid last season. And frankly, teams ran well against the Giants at the beginning of the season when he was, presumably, fresh.

I hope he has a great comeback season (heck, I hope Austin breaks out and proves Reese’s faith in him valid), but I’ll believe it when I see it. Beatty was a bit better than average before he broke out last season. Linval was a LOT worse than average after looking very promising the prior year.

F0XLIN says:
      July 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM
      Don’t forget Jpseph was playing on what he described to be a numb leg all season, and Canty coming of microfrature which has proven to take a full season to come back into form. Behind that we had little to no proven depth.

Rock Benard was starting next to Joseph playing big snaps. Joseph was double and keyed on every play. I think he was as awful as you think just he was in a circumstance where it was hard to be effective.

Benard’s drop from decent in 2011 to awful in 2012 is another reason why I don’t believe Jenkins can be counted on the start after this year. At 32 he’s at the age when even players that were good just lose it without notice.

Tiki was a great player for us but he kind of snuck up on me. When he first came I was thinking of a Meggett type player and never thought he could do everything fulltime. Wilson I had hopes for immediately of being that do it all #1 RB we haven’t had since Tiki. I haven’t been this excited for a young RB since Rodney Hampton. I really think Wilson can be an elite RB and a Tiki type presence for this offense. And with a #2 like Brown that insures we don’t have to overuse him. This really should be our best offense of this era and we have had some good ones. Guys like Wilson, Cruz and Murphy provide quick strike ability we have had before for so many players. I really excited about this offense. The only real question on offense is RT but through competition I think we will get a pretty good player. LG has some questions but Boothe is more than solid and if he gets beat out that’s only a positive.

You know, Kevin Gilbride really reminds me of that professor you had in college who always sounded smug and self-satisfied while describing the shortcomings of his students who might, just maybe, someday meet with his grudging approval after they had struggled to impress the Great Man under whose wing they were so fortunate to have the opportunity to learn. You know those types of guys, the ones who always think they’re the smartest guy in the room and never allow for the truth that just like the rest of us they are really generally ignorant. Usually as people age they rightly conclude that they really don’t have a handle on much of anything, because the universe is far too complex for us to fully understand. But Gilbride just goes on year-after-year, cocooned in his smugness, and apparently always sure that if the players don’t succeed it was because of THEIR inability to execute his brilliant offense.

He’s a very good coach. I just get the feeling that I’d despise him if I knew him. And I’ll bet David Wilson will prove FAR better at what he does than Gilbride is at what he does.

•  kujo says:

Yeah, I know the type. Only, I’ve most recently encountered it on my favorite sports-related website, where this bloviating elderly gentlemen goes on and on about the length and breadth of his life experience and knowledge of the Giants, tricity politics and theatrical productions of Shakespeare. God, there’s nothing more annoying than THAT guy…

How come he never has concerns about David Diehl’s blocking ability ?

•  jfunk says:

I believe that’s because he knows that Diehl is what he is at this point. David doesn’t need to be motivated or coached up, he’s an old vet that knows exactly what to do and how to do it.

David’s problem is his age is rapidly catching up with him due to his always mediocre physical talent. There’s no point in talking about a guy’s failing body.

5.  jfunk says:

Meh, this coaching staff is not the type to declare a player is awesome and has it all figured out. They talk about the things Eli needs to work on when asked about him too.

And let’s be fair here, Wilson needs DRASTIC improvement in his run blocking if we’re putting him on the field for 75% of the snaps. He nearly got Eli killed on a play last year. And that was when he actually DID try to block his man so Eli assumed it was picked up…only he got trucked so badly he didn’t even slow the guy down.

Wilson didn’t exactly help his cause when he publicly stated that he didn’t know what the coaches wanted from him and he thought he had proven everything he needed to prove. Honestly, that tells me they were right in holding him back. If David Wilson didn’t even “get” why he had to be a better blocker, then he was in fact the problem.

6.  CT GIANT says:

Think Cullen Jenkins is a very young 32 year old, and still has very quick moves upfront, I watched film of him against our pro bowl Snee, and he just blew around him, making those moves, will likely make Joseph a much better
    player in run stopping and sack potential.
    Reese must agree, he brought him here in a NY minute.
    CT GIANT

7.  Since 1963 says:

Maybe Killdrive, ever tactful, is going public with his knocks on Wilson because, in his heart, he still pines for Danny Ware. Nobody could run the shotgun draw like Danny, says Kevin.

•  rlhjr says:

I’m sure Gilbride would give up a body part for either Bradshaw or B-Jac.
      Wilson is never going to be the equal of either blocking wise. However, Wilson is “Flash” (hope you guys read DC) and will make you forget all about blocking when he takes an off tackle dive 92 yards in about 6 seconds.

Yes he needs to know his assignments and hopefully keep Eli healthy.
      But his job is to get the football into the end zone or damn close to it.
      If the O-line blocking at guard and center holds up (better than last year) your running backs don’t have to be all pro guards. Like Mr. Mura said, we need more physical toughness on the offensive and defensive lines.
      Lets hope the former has been addressed before demeaning Wilson.

•  kujo says:

I dunno, all the leaping and flipping makes me think of him as more of Spider-Man, but the Ultimate one named Miles Morales. He’s a mixed race kid from Brooklyn who is still new to the suit and hasn’t discovered his full potential, relying instead on instinct, flash and luck. Dead ringer for David Wilson.

8.  GeezUp says:

Call me crazy but this would be the perfect scenario for ole Tiki to get back in the good graces with the organization and fans. Nobody other Giants RB caused havoc like Tiki did in Killdrive’s system, well except maybe Danny Ware.