New York Giants Eliminated from “Greatest Uniform in NFL History” Tournament

July 12th, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Only one round after their 1980-1999 "throwback" uniforms were ousted by 1973-1980 Los Angeles Rams, the New York Giants watched as their current uniforms were also eliminated from NFL Network's "Greatest Uniforms in NFL History" tournament. This time, in round two, they were defeated by the current uniforms of the Seattle Seahawks.

'New York Giants Huddle Up' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The tournament, which tallies fan votes, does not provide percentages, but odds are the Seahawks won by a large margin. They have what are considered by many to be the nicest uniforms in the game today.

Seattle now moves on to face the New Orleans Saints in round four, while the Los Angeles Rams uniforms of 1973-1980 remain alive and now match-up against the 1960-1963 Philadelphia Eagles.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks

22 Responses to “New York Giants Eliminated from “Greatest Uniform in NFL History” Tournament”

1.  rlhjr says:

I love the old Giant Blues and the current old school helmet lettering.

But I have to be honest, there is no better looking uniform than the San Diego Charger powder blues. They are Alpha and Omega. Second place, KC.

First place for any uniform regardless of sport? Yankee pinstripes baby.
    The ultimate in simplicity and class. Nothing else comes close.

2.  Dirt says:

Drats. That damned 12th man again. They’re so loud, they have the biggest impact of every fan base in the world. They truly give the Seahawks such an advantage. I mean, let me tell you – they are serious.

Except they’ve never won a damn thing.

•  Dirt says:

And now we go to commercial and a word from your local FOX station, so here’s some Nirvana as we go to break, BECAUSE NO ONE FUCK|N REALIZES THE GAME IS IN SEATTLE AND NIRVANA IS FROM SEATTLE AND HOW CLEVER IS OUR PRODUCTION TRUCK!!! EVERY DAMN TIME!!!

•  rlhjr says:

They are also blind as bats. I find the Seattle skins totally repugnant.
      I mean really? Turtle poop green? Really? The old silver and blue one were better.

The only thing they’ve won Dirt, is most hidden speakers and amplifiers in a football venue. And by a considerable margin.

3.  rlhjr says:

Did anyone see the major “A-hole” who backed into a young mother and her baby knocking the mother down, and dragging the baby and his carriage about 20 feet before stopping long enough to let the mother extract her baby.

He then exhibited the panicle of class by driving off without even checking on the health of the mother and child. I hope they catch him and for a limited time bring back public flogging/stoning. What a waste of flesh.

Are you saying Aaron Hernandez got bail !!!

•  rlhjr says:

Almost, not quite. LOL. But really, what a dirt bag. And yeah, it was a stolen van. Guess he could be excused for not stopping because he was in a hurry to evade the cops.

The human race is capable of wonderful things and horrible things. I continue to wonder why many of those who are on the right side of the ledger continue to believe that if only those on the wrong side could be “persuaded” to change their ways all would be well. There are those who cannot be changed, and who are fully capable of evil behavior, and we should recognize them as such. This dirtbag may or may not be in the same category as Hernandez, but both deserve residence in one of Dante’s lowest rings of Hell.

4.  Hanshi says:

Hanshi says:
    July 11, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    Where’s Dan? We had a bet and he said this would never happen.

Dan BentonDan Benton says:
    July 12, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    Right here. I said if he returned to DE I’d leave Giants 101. And I am now leaving Giants 101.

Dan BentonDan Benton says:
    July 12, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    And while I am leaving G101 (seriously), don’t get too excited. This experiment will last maybe two games max before 30 linebackers get hurt and they have to move him back.

THE BET IS OFF! DON’T LEAVE!

5.  F0XLIN says:

Re faith in the LB’ers. I agree, Rivers, Curry do not give me much hope that they will miraculously find a way of staying healthy. But i do have faith Herzlich and Paysinger will step up. They are coming into their 3rd year, when most players who need some time to develop start coming into their own. I also think they beef added at DT is going to make our LB play a lot better.

Give this man a kewpie doll. He gets it. Linebackers generally can play only as well as the defensive line in front of them allows. There have been only a small handful of linebackers in the history of the NFL who could beat offensive linemen one-on-one if a running back uses his blocks correctly. And especially as linebackers get smaller, in order to cover receivers in a pass-happy league, asking most of them to contend equally with a 310-pound guy who only needs to seal them off from a gap is asking too much.

Over the past 4-5 years the Giants have all too infrequently allowed their linebackers to have decent shots at an unprotected running back. The defensive front has allowed too much “trash” to get out into the second level of defense, and left light linebackers grasping at runners with one arm and little chance. With very few exceptions the defensive fronts have not allowed linebackers to get into running gaps quickly and meet running backs head on. Once a linebacker is even partially sealed and can only hit a runner after he is 3-4 yards downfield and has gained momentum, the defense is going to lose most of those battles.

So I am confident we will have better linebacker play because I have much more confidence in Jenkins and Hankins than I’ve had in our defensive tackles since the days of Fred Robbins. I also know Kiwi will be better against the run than was Osi (although Osi was never as bad as his reputation around here in that regard), and that Tuck may be past his peak but will probably play hard enough this season to hold up offensive linemen at the LOS rather than let them have a free pass to the linebackers. I’m also confident because we have more speed at linebacker than has been the case for years, and I still think that what I saw from Herzlich in Week 17 last year was very promising. You could see he was reacting, quickly, instead of over-thinking and hesitating. There’s no doubt he’s smart enough, and now experienced enough, to know the defense. There’s also no doubt that letting a coaches’ favorite like Blackburn go was an indication of real staff confidence in Herzlich.

So just as I’ve had to disagree with Dan about where Kiwi would wind up this year, I now have to disagree that we will find our linebackers inadequate and have to move Kiwi back to SAM. He may play there in certain packages, but I think we’ll have that position covered pretty well by some combination of Rivers, Curry and Paysinger. And as rlhjr says, we may see some of Moore there too. This is the first time in years I see a glimmer of hope across the entire corps of linebackers.

6.  Dirt says:

Can’t wait till the Super Bowl. It will be odd when the Giants are designated as the home team in their own stadium, but they’re going to win it nonetheless. And just like the ’05 Saints “away” game, the Silky Johnson and the rest of the haters will hate.

Should this group of LBs under perform I think it’s more likely Moore and/or Tracy are moved to LB. I think with Williams most agree we are at least adequate at WLB. At MLB it’s going to be Herzlich especially with Conner’s arrest. Herzlich you have to think is at worse Blackburn like. SLB seems to be the real concern though I have good hopes for both Rivers and Curry. I think the sleeper is Paysinger because he’s steadily improved while getting bigger, faster and stronger. Should all fail I still think it’s more likely we turn to Tracy or Moore rather than Kiwi. At DE other than JPP & Tuck we really only have Ojomo whose a legit DE in terms of size. I don’t think we can afford to move Kiwi back to SLB. I think we have more possible answers at SLB than DE when you consider playing the run as well.

The player I expect to surprise and be a near pro bowl level player is Joseph. I think many are overlooking him because his play dropped last year. His drop in play from my view is clearly because the DTs beside him should have been no more than a rotational DT in the NFL. Joseph had to play a ton of snaps for a DT of his size and it wore him down. So even by the time Canty returned at less than 100%, Joseph was already warned down. During our SB run Joseph teamed with Canty to provide tremendous play at DT. I think with the vet additions and especially Hankins we will see an even better 2011 version of Joseph in 2013. In some ways Joseph this year reminds me of Beatty last year. He’s shown flashes but it’s his prove it year. I think he will maybe too much so and price himself out of re-signing here.

I don’t really disagree, but he was absolutely putrid last season. And frankly, teams ran well against the Giants at the beginning of the season when he was, presumably, fresh.

I hope he has a great comeback season (heck, I hope Austin breaks out and proves Reese’s faith in him valid), but I’ll believe it when I see it. Beatty was a bit better than average before he broke out last season. Linval was a LOT worse than average after looking very promising the prior year.

•  F0XLIN says:

Don’t forget Jpseph was playing on what he described to be a numb leg all season, and Canty coming of microfrature which has proven to take a full season to come back into form. Behind that we had little to no proven depth.