Now that the Victor Cruz contract situation has been solved by the New York Giants, they are turning their attentions back to the free agent market and fullback Vonta Leach, who still remains unsigned.
Leach was released by the Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens last month after he failed to restructure his $3 million salary for 2013, and has been pursued by teams like the Giants, Miami Dolphins and Houston Texans; plus the Ravens are reportedly still in contact with Leach.
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald says that the Dolphins remain the front-runners for Leach, who have $17.6 million in cap space to sign him, but Jackson did say that the Dolphins would prefer to sign him to a low-money deal, whereas the 31-year-old is looking for a more sizeable deal. He also noted that unless another team wows Leach within the next two weeks, the Dolphins are still the likely team.
But as Connor Orr of the Newark-Star Ledger has reported, the Giants are by no means out of the mix and firmly remain in the hunt for the Pro Bowl fullback, especially if Henry Hynoski starts the 2013 season on the PUP List as he is recovering from knee surgery.
About two weeks ago, Leach's agent Ralph Vitolo said the Giants "were in the top three" for his client's services, especially since the Giants are a potential playoff contender in the NFC and they have a starting spot they can offer him with Hynoski going down back in May with the knee injury.
Orr's source in the story, who requested to remain anonymous because of the situation, said that Leach has definitely kept the Giants on his short list of teams he is interested in, which is great news for the Giants since they have tried to land Leach in the past.
Vitolo did tell Paul Schwartz of the New York Post last month that if the Giants truly did want to sign Leach, they would need to be creative in a contract offer, and suggested as much as the Giants would have to offer a multi-year deal to land him.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Inquire About Former Baltimore Ravens’ FB Vonta Leach
- Baltimore Ravens Set to Part Ways with FB Vonta Leach; Could New York Giants Be Interested?
- New York Giants Out of Vonta Leach Sweepstakes; Miami Dolphins in Lead to Land Fullback
- Vonta Leach May Visit New York Giants; Miami Dolphins Remain Front Runners
- Agent for Free Agent FB Vonta Leach: New York Giants Will Need to Be Creative
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/x6x