July 9th, 2013 at 3:37 PM
By Doug Rush

Back in March, the New York Giants made perhaps one of their best signings in free agency when they landed former Oakland Raiders tight end Brandon Myers to a four-year, $14.25 million deal to replace the departed Martellus Bennett.

Myers got his first chance to start in the NFL back in the 2012 season after former Giant Kevin Boss departed from Oakland and Myers made the most out of his opportunity, hauling in 79 catches for 806 yards and four touchdowns playing in an underperforming offense with quarterback Carson Palmer. Now, Myers has a chance to play with an elite quarterback in Eli Manning, who has a history of throwing to tight ends in the current offense, so Myers will definitely see a lot of looks his way.

Myers chose the Giants over nine or ten teams that had reported interest in his services in free agency and a big reason why he chose to come to New York was playing with Manning and in the Giants offense, as he told Dave Hutchinson of the Newark-Star Ledger.

"It all worked out for the best. I’m with a great organization, a proven team with a proven quarterback (Eli Manning), in an offense that if you’re a tight end and you can get open, you’ll get a lot of opportunities to catch the ball."

What Myers was referring to as "it all worked out" was the contract that Myers signed, in which only the first year was guaranteed, which is for $2.25 million; the other three years on the deal are voidable, but the tight end isn't too worried about the deal he has with the Giants.

When asked about replacing Bennett, who stepped in during 2012 and had his breakout season; his first as a starter with 55 catches for 626 yards and five touchdowns, which then lead to him landing a four-year deal with the Chicago Bears, Myers didn't want to think about the past and is only focusing on the future with the Giants.

Last year is last year. There are different aspects of his game and my game. I think it’s all about the system rather than the player. It’s about knowing what you have to do and being where you have to be and when your number is called make the play. I don’t really feel any pressure. I think winning takes care of all of that. If you win games, obviously that means guys are playing at a high level. I don’t really worrying about proving myself.

A while back, Myers had talked about how in Oakland he played under six different offenses in five seasons and now with the Giants, he'll be playing in another new offense under offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride and tight end coach Mike Pope. Myers said learning the offense is his goal heading into training camp and the season.

"I think the main thing with me being new to the offense is the playbook. Just sticking in the playbook. There are so many different options as the tight end. It’s a lot different than a lot of other offenses I’ve been in."

Myers was originally a sixth-round draft pick out of the University of Iowa by the Oakland Raiders in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Tags: Brandon Myers, Eli Manning, Football, Kevin Gilbride, Martellus Bennett, Mike Pope, New York, New York Giants, NFL

13 Responses to “New York Giants TE Brandon Myers: I’m with a Great Organization and Proven Quarterback”

I loved this signing and contend that he’s a better player in this offense than Bennett because he’s better in the Red Zone thanks to better hands.

Last comments re: Nicks. He plays much taller than his height (ask the Packers). He will sign with us because no player without wealthy parents is taking a one-year injury risk when there’s $30MM in guaranteed dollars on the table. In the end, the WORST we do is a first round pick if we lose him, but I cannot see Mara and Reese allowing that outcome. Nicks is one of the few unique offensive players who are worth at least two other very good players. Even if it takes $10.5MM Reese should tie him up. As fans we should remember, as I insisted in regard to Cruz, let’s not worry about guaranteed dollars. That’s the owners’ issue. All we need to be concerned with is that cap.

I think if he leaves via Free Agency then there’s no compensation. Comp pick maybe …

I’m assuming if it was clear we couldn’t pay him enough that there would be teams ready to give up a first pick to be sure they got him. You can’t find top-5 receivers in most drafts. Maybe we’d have to settle for a #2 and #4 pick, but I suspect not.

In any case, I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Having three top wide receivers is a great asset. And if Reese knows he has Nicks in the stable then the 2014 draft is going to be all about defense, which is what we need.

•  jfunk says:

They have the tag in their pocket to ensure they don’t lose him for nothing.

I think Bennett was better for this offense because his blocking. I also think because of his size and speed he drew attention. Myers I have questions about because he’s a one year wonder without great talent. The pressure in NY is different along with playing for team where the games really matter. I would be more concerned about TE but I think Robinson will provide a nice spark.

Playing on a one yea franchise tag of 10.5 mil is much different than the 2.9 mil Cruz would have had to play for. If there is real differences in our offer and what Nicks feels he’s worth I can see him not settling for a long term deal. Wallace getting 12 mil has to make nicks think he’s at least worth 12 mil. I just worry about Nicks because I don’t think has a Cruz like desire to stay here. I think he’s willing to stay for a slight discount but not cheaply.

Getting back to this topic, I expect a terrific year from Myers. It’s hard to see why he cannot get consistently open when the defense has to worry about the wide receivers so much, and Myers WILL catch the ball. He should give us,too, what Boss did: a very reliable target in the Red Zone. It will be open season on defending linebackers and safeties.

•  jfunk says:

I still haven’t seen anything to tell me that Myers can actually make the athletic plays that Boss & Bennett did though.

Myers hands do appear reliable, but I haven’t seen any athletic grabs from him. Hell, he was practically standing still for a lot of his receptions.

3.  jfunk says:

That Nicks career highlight reel linked earlier was sweet. Makes me want to “go nosh” on all the people “disrespecting” Nicks. :-P

Basically Nicks either signs with us or he leaves in Free Agency. The rest is kind of Madden-esque.

•  jfunk says:

You can still trade a player after placing the tag on him. No Madden Fantasy Magic required.

5.  Dirt says:

Receiver A has 129 catches on 233 targets (55%), with 4.45 YAC/C over the last two years.

Receiver B has 168 catches on 274 targets (61%), with 5.52 YAC/C over the last two years.

Which receiver is the one focused on his outside interests, often drops the ball and is “only” a “slot receiver”, and which receiver is the future Hall of Fame, catches anything in his ZIP code and is generally an unstoppable beast?

•  Dirt says:

For reference, here are some of the other stars discussed today over the last two years:

AJ Green: 162 catches on 280 targets (58%), 4.44 YAC/C
      Andre Johnson:145 catches on 215 targets (67%), 4.72 YAC/C
      Brandon Marshall:199 catches on 339 targets (59%), 3.41 YAC/C
      Calvin Johnson: 218 catches on 363 targets (60%), 4.81 YAC/C
      Dez Bryant:155 catches on 241 targets (64%), 4.95 YAC/C
      Julio Jones:133 catches on 225 targets (59%), 6.77 YAC/C

•  Dirt says:

Cruz has more yards after catch than all but one of the above and higer completion percentage than all but two of the above.

Y’all are talkin about Nicks being a Hall of Famer.

I’m now officially on record as being the first to discuss CRUZ! as the potential Hall of Famer.

And I am a certified Nicks nutrider.