July 5th, 2013 at 2:30 PM
By Doug Rush

In his eight-year career with the New York Giants, 2012 may have been one of the worst for veteran cornerback Corey Webster. The 31-year-old looked awful on the field at times and was getting beaten by some of the opposing team's best receivers.

'Grunt' photo (c) 2010, AJ  Guel - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

What a lot of us didn't know until further down the road was that Webster was playing during the season with a broken hand, which Giants defensive backs coach Peter Guinta told Jane McManus of ESPN New York that it affected his play greatly, which lead to his struggles.

"In his defense, he breaks his hand, and it set him back a little bit not being able to use his hands up in press coverage," Giunta said. "He struggled in the end when we didn’t have a lot of continuity back there. He did have a tough year for himself."

Webster was coming up on the final year of the five-year, $43 million extension he signed back in December of 2008 and was set to make $7 million in 2013, which is why his name came up a lot as a potential salary-cap casualty. Instead of being cut by the Giants, Webster agreed to a salary cut back on March 7 that dropped his base salary from $7 million down to $4 million, which ended up helping the Giants save cap space to sign free agents. It also showed that Webster was committed to the Giants and wanted to prove that 2012 was nothing more than a fluke.

When Giunta was asked if he felt Webster would bounce back in 2013 and redeem himself, the defensive backs coach was very confident in the most veteran member of the Giants secondary and what he could do this season.

"Definitely," Giunta said. "Finishing the way we did, everybody has a real sense of urgency this year to get back to playing the kind of football we did at the end of the 2011 season in that six-game stretch and playing that kind of defense."

Webster should get some help this season with the return of Aaron Ross from the Jacksonville Jaguars, as well as Terrell Thomas from two consecutive ACL injuries. Prince Amukamara has emerged as the team's leading cornerback, something Webster had been on the team for quite a while.

Webster was the Giants second round pick out of LSU back in the 2005 NFL Draft and will enter his ninth season in the NFL, all with the Giants.

Tags: Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Terrell Thomas

26 Responses to “New York Giants DB Coach Peter Giunta Expects Bounce-Back Season for Corey Webster”

1.  kujo says:

What a great article by Doug Rush. Impeccably written, germane in content and just an all around joy to read. The perfect tonic for the doldrums of the pre-training camp lull.

(There. Now that I’ve commented on Doug’s article, we can get back to making fun of purorock.)

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

Funny, Giunta metioned the broken hand in the article, but there was no mention about that famous mentioning from FF55 and the”Torn Hamstring” he played on all year long.

Anyway… Hope Cwebb bounced back. And TT too. But i think they’re both done.

•  rlhjr says:

Not sure what was wrong with him, but to me he struggled running and back peddling all season. The dude is a seasoned corner. And most of the time he looked lost. But he was always two or three steps away. He almost had to have a leg issue. Either that or he’s a crack head.

What? Only reference I ever made to that was based on rumors around the team and the easy observation that something was wrong with his legs. I never said I thought he had an injury that was proven. In fact, while I DO believe it’s impossible for a player to drop off that fast unless there is a health issue, I have been very critical of Webster.

Perhaps my general disagreement with you about , we’ll, just about everything, is jay dicing your views.

3.  rlhjr says:

Well at least Kujo and purorock’s first date brought njmom back. Mom and Jen are anything but shrinking violets. They know Kujo is a sick puppy who tries very hard to hide the fact that he’s a first class human being.

I take it that purorock is new to G101. So he may not know that Kujo loves only his wife and family better that a good argument. LOL.

Dan Benton, I’ll go ahead and state the obvious, you will be missed.
    I wish you the best wherever you go. And I’ll try to keep clear of the F5 key, politics and vulgar language that can not be coded with special characters.

Where’s Dan going?

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I’ll be leaving Giants 101 to concentrate more on Sports Media 101. I’ll be phased out over the next 6-8 weeks.

•  Begiant says:

You have done an excellent job with this site Dan. I only post here once in a while, as I prefer to talk football with fans from other divisional teams as well, but I come here very often in order to stay updated with everything Giants

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Appreciate it! We hope to add a lot more to this network as a whole and will be releasing a complete redesign soon that should increase divisional traffic and banter. Lots of big stuff coming to be announced soon.

5.  Begiant says:

One of the reasons I was high on a better Webster this year, is that both T2 and Aaron Ross are back in the fold. Hopefully the familiar faces will spur Webster to compete even harder to keep them in backup roles. Hopefully a healthy Webster will be able to help improve our defense, as it was pretty terrible in terms of yards last year.

6.  Barry Faecher says:

Just as when you lose that loving feeling,it’s over when it’s over.

Webster is a modern day version of Elvis Patterson……TOAST

Not yet. Let’s see what he does this season before we declare him done. It’s true that corners can get worse over 2-3 seasons (see: Terrence Newman) but Webster’s fall was so abrupt as to allow lingering hope. I’m hoping he can be a solid #2 to Prince’s #1 this season as he gives the Giants one last productive year. But it certainly is possible that he’s never going to cut it again. Personally, I doubt that but cannot assume its impossibility.

Good luck Dan with the bigger universe. I hope you succeed wildly. You’ll be missed around here. Stop in every once in awhile.

What ? Huh ? Dan’s leaving ? When did this all happen ? WTF !

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Been in the works for a little while now. I’m still 6-8 weeks away from leaving though, so you guys still have to deal with me for a bit.

Fantastic news and my sincere best wishes Dan. I hope it works out great for you. Thanks for all you’ve done over the years … don’t be a stranger !

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Thank ya. I’ll still post from time to time (and across the network), so I won’t totally be gone. If anything, it’ll free me up to comment more.

9.  CT GIANT says:

Would like to wish Dan all the best in his “new spot”, thanks for the news ans insight.
    Webster; Thomas; Ross, two 2nd rounders and one 1st round picks all three at the very end of there respective careers, like many others, Webster hitting 32; Ross hitting 31; and Thomas hitting 29.
    This team, is the “oldest” team in the NFl, no doubt my mind, because of Coughlin who would field a team of 40 year olds , as long as there veterans, and he better dam well look around at who is winning in this league, and how they got there.
    From Seattle; Niners; Denver; Lions; Colts and add KC as the up and comer, and there are more.
    On defensive, you simply have to have young DB’s with legs, the WR in this league are blazing fast and big, and without speed, this team has to move into that next group of young guys who add that obvious need.
    Sure, Webster might pull off another year and I wish him a full turn around, because whatever happened last year was a disaster as are most seasoned CB.

This is a pass happy league, and shows no sign of change, and I hope Coughlin see the light with one good play, your beat and done! A mix of the young guys is paramount, and I know someone will get beat, but you can’t get experience sitting on the pine, simple.
    Change to change is dumb, but this team gets older every where you look, and that is dumb!
    CT GIANT