June 28th, 2013 at 6:30 AM
By Doug Rush

Why wide receiver Hakeem Nicks missed Organized Team Activities (OTAs) remains a bit of a mystery, although speculation has been primarily focused on his contract and/or his fear of injury. What is known is that Nicks had a one-on-one meeting with head coach Tom Coughlin to clear the air before he reported to mandatory mini-camp.

'Eli Manning Warms Up with Hakeem Nicks' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

To make up for the valuable time he lost by missing OTA's, Nicks took it upon himself to personally work out with Giants starting quarterback Eli Manning this past week and will look to do so again in the near future.

"We hooked up twice this week already and we’re going to do it again," Nicks said at his Verizon Football ProCamp at Dwight Morrow High School.

Nicks also told Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN New York on Thursday that he is running full routes, feels great and is "ready to go" for training camp and the preseason this summer.

The Giants No. 1 wide receiver dealt with injuries in 2012, as it cost him three games, but his production on the field was completely hampered due to a knee injury that poked its head in week two against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. As a result, Nicks was held to just 53 catches for 692 yards and three touchdowns last year, which are way down from numbers he normally puts up.

Nicks is looking to 2013 as a crucial one in his career, as he is entering the final year of his contract that he signed when he was drafted back in 2009 out of North Carolina. Nicks will make $2.725 million this coming year and will be looking to get a huge payday and the Giants would like to get him locked up for the future, but they also want to make sure he stays healthy as well. Nicks knows how important his health is to getting that payday.

"It’s definitely big," Nicks said. "Talking about it can't even do it justice. Just got to go out there and do what is expected."

In the meantime, the Giants are still trying to work out a long-term contract for Victor Cruz, who was another holdout at the Giants OTA's, as well as their mini-camp this past month. Getting both Cruz and Nicks signed would be a great benefit to the Giants long-term success, as well as the success of Manning; something the fans, as well as the organization would love to have done.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

13 Responses to “New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks, Eli Manning Working Together Prior to Training Camp”

1.  JimStoll says:

fingers crossed

Nicks has gone about his business in a very professional way. Plenty of veterans going into a contract year manage to somehow miss some OTAs. And, actually, plenty of veterans try to get out of them whether it’s a contract year or not. How many Giants spent the last OTAs standing on the sidelines watching? A pretty good number.

Glad to hear he’s working with Eli. I have a feeling Cruz may be as well.

I think we will get a huge year from both of these guys. They have every reason to make it happen.

•  JimStoll says:

remember when Michael held out the entire 2007 preseason and you wanted to cut him?

•  GIANTT says:

I am glad to see that he feels enough about his situation that he is working out with Eli in private . It tells me that he wants to make up for ANY training that he missed out on . This would bode well for his play this year with a mind set of doing the best he can and (so far) not letting any contract negotiations hamper his preseason workout and eventual season play .

Yeah. Genius on my part. I may not always be right, but I’m never wrong.

Strahan had me so mad at that point that I couldn’t see straight. But, of course, he was also saying at the time that he might retire so, unlike a lot of these guys, there was a real threat that he wouldn’t be with the team.

•  JimStoll says:

remember our debate over eli after the 5 (or was it 7?) turnover performance against Buffalo?

Yeah, well at least I was right about that one. Thank goodness.

Actually, I think the game that had EVERYONE lined up against me in regard to Eli was that Vikings game during which he looked absolutely horrid. I could see that the problem was the stupid game plan, the Vikings PERFECT defensive game plan, (and Shockey’s incompetence and refusal to run out his routes), but no one wanted to hear it. All of New York wanted Eli run out of town that Monday and a new quarterback drafted.

Of course all of those people now claim they always believed in Eli.

3.  JimStoll says:

every off-season you can’t help but look at your team and see the possibilities

this year the offense looks like it has the potential to be really special

Eli is in his prime

Nicks and Cruz should be vintage 2011 dynamic

Randall could be Manningham plus

Wilson and Brown could be the best running back tandem the team has ever seen; certainly the best running back production since 2006

Tight End could be improved, at least on the receiving end, with Myers

and the O-Line ought to be at least better than what we’ve seen over the past 2 seasons

it all adds up right now to an explosive unit with the potential of posting a 480 point season

fingers crossed and hoping

I’ve been beating that drum for months and think it is almost a certainty that the Giants’ offense is going to be awfully good. So will be the punting game. And with stronger legs around now the kickoff team should be good on the coverage side. I think things boil down to defense, and kick returns.

We have plenty of talent for punt and kickoff returns but there’s some question as to whether it should all be used for that purpose. There’s also the question of why our punt returners seem to never have much time to make a first move on the first defender near him. We have to get the punt blocking better. I think the kickoff return will be fine since I think Jernigan will be pretty good and Wilson may still be used in some situations.

Defense is a mystery. I don’t think anyone knows how good it will be, including the coaches. So many question marks at this point. I think it is certain that they have improved up the middle in the front seven, and that’s important. That’s offset somewhat by the loss of Kenny Phillips. I think our defensive ends have immense potential, and SHOULD have a very good season provided they stay healthy (already a question with JPP and ALWAYS a question with Tuck). I’m not confident that they have the cornerback position solved even though I think Prince will be the best corner we’ve had in a long time. Safety seems okay but youngsters need to step up there and any mental errors could be seriously problematic. And the outside linebackers could range from surprisingly terrific to not much. It’s just too early to tell.

On balance, I think there’s so much potential on the defensive side that SOME of it is bound to turn into something good (I like Hosley, Hill, Curry, Rivers, Ojomo, and Jenkins to add more than most expect). But except for Jenkins, those are all very speculative calls.

What I do know is that I am liking this team. I’ll stick with my sense that they may be a year away, but I now think they can compete for a championship in 2013. A lot will depend upon health (as always). Interestingly, I can see them finishing anywhere from Super Bowl champs to last in their division, depending upon how the defense comes along and upon how many injuries they suffer. I’m really looking forward to the season, and think it holds great promise, but every game on the schedule looks relatively tough to me. So I am obviously not “confident” at this point.

•  JimStoll says:

if I were handicapping right now I’d say offense looks to be excellent; defense terrible

Perry Fewell has never put together solid game plans
        and the talent level at LB, DT and CB/S is really questionable

who knows how things will develop, but right now we better plan on scoring a lot of points