June 26th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Late last week, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive lineman Warren Sapp ripped into former New York Giants' defensive end Michael Strahan, suggesting that Simeon Rice was a far better pass rusher than he and more deserving of the Hall of Fame. It was just another in a long line of unprovoked verbal attacks from Sapp in Strahan's direction, and something he defended on Tuesday night during an interview with NFL Network.

'IMG_0110 Warren Sapp' photo (c) 2013, Roger DeWitt - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"For all of the people who are not historians of football as I am, Michael Strahan started his career at right defensive end in New York to replace Lawrence Taylor – the great Lawrence Taylor," Sapp said on NFL Network Tuesday night. "In those three years, he had 12 sacks which averages out to four a year. So they put ‘B-U-S’ and they said, ‘Wait, before we call him a bust let’s move him to the left side.’ Ten-and-a-half sacks a year, 128 [at left defensive end]. He’s a great left end. Simeon Rice [had] 122 [sacks] at right end and was never moved.”

Sapp's stance has not been received well by many, with current Giants' defensive captain Justin Tuck calling Strahan "the greatest pass rusher to ever live," and former Big Blue running back Tiki Barber coming out and bluntly calling Sapp "an idiot."

For such a "football historian," it's somewhat ironic that Sapp seems to have forgotten that Reggie White played primarily at left defensive end his entire career. It's also worth noting that Strahan moved from LDE to RDE in 1995 — not 1996. And, finally, Strahan played only nine games during his rookie season, initially as a back-up, due to a number of injuries. But, hey, since when does Sapp care about facts?

The other thing Sapp fails to mention in his endless jealous criticism of Strahan is his ability to play the run. Not only was No. 92 one of the most elite pass rushers of all-time, he was also leaps and bounds better against the run than both Sapp and Rice.

At the end of the day (royalties to Antrel Rolle), this assault by Sapp is nothing more than what you'd expect to see out of a spurned teenage girlfriend. The next thing you know, Sapp will be sending Strahan a note that reads: "Do you like me? Circle one. Yes – No."

Tags: Football, Justin Tuck, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Reggie White, Simeon Rice, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tiki Barber, Warren Sapp

17 Responses to “Warren Sapp Continues His Diarrhea of the Mouth, Says Michael Strahan was Close to Being a “Bust””

1.  Chad Eldred says:

Excellent piece. These are the points that need to be made when any discussion of Strahan’s value takes place. Strahan was a complete player. Played the run, rushed the passer, was a team leader, and did it over the course of a long career. That’s not homerism, that’s just the truth. Strahan may want to get himself a restraining order. I wouldn’t be surprise to find out Sapp is rifling through his trash on garbage day. His preoccupation with Strahan is bordering on obsessive.

Warren Sapp was a great player in the NFL. It’s a shame that he’s so incredibly jealous of Stray that he has allowed himself to look like a real fool. I’ll get knocked for this, but I recognize it for what I’ve seen from a number of my friends who come from tough backgrounds: a combination of contempt and jealousy for those African-Americans who have “passed” and are fully welcomed into the upper reaches of society because they “act white”. While Sapp has to work for whatever ESPN will pay him, he watches Stray get a deal that will make him more money than he ever could have dreamed of while he was playing ball if he can keep his Q-rating up. He gets to co-host with one of America’s sweethearts, which never could have happened if he was “ghetto” or “angry”. I’m sure Sapp thinks Mike is a fraud, thinks Mike is lucky to have the right look, and jealous as hell that it couldn’t be him. There are probably a number of other ex-players who feel the same, but they keep it under wraps better.

It doesn’t matter what Sapp thinks. Michael Strahan was a great defensive end (one of the best ever) and is going to be in the public eye, getting rich, getting successful in many areas, probably at some point being urged to run for office, and in all likelihood utterly unconcerned about what Sapp thinks of him. He’s so far beyond the place where Sapp’s criticism could matter that he needn’t pay a scintilla of attention to it. He shouldn’t respond, and I hope he won’t.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Besides his spot on the Today show which i dont think Sapp cares about, what does Sapp have to be jealous of Strahan for?

Sapp was one of the best DT’s to ever play the game. He’s a 1st ballot HOF’er. Strahan will get in eventually. I just don’t see the jealousy connection that you are implying.

Sapp does need to just let it go already, it’s a tired act.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Also, What you said is kind of racists. But whatever.

•  kujo says:

It wasn’t racist. It was an observation about two black men who, while occupying similar positions on the surface, are actually two very different members of society. And it’s f***ed up that anyone who talks about something racial is immediately dubbed “a racist.”

•  BigBlueGiant says:

‘ I’ll get knocked for this, but I recognize it for what I’ve seen from a number of my friends who come from tough backgrounds: a combination of contempt and jealousy for those African-Americans who have “passed” and are fully welcomed into the upper reaches of society because they “act white”.

Perhaps racist wasn’t the right word. So i take that back. but what he said, is an outsiders opinion on something that he “thinks” he knows about.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

let’s not further get into it though.

FF55, I apologize for the racists comment. I dont think you are in the least. Just dont think that statement you made is very accurate.

•  kujo says:

Right. He was commenting on the intra-racial divide between those who “stick to their roots” and those who do not. That’s not a hateful, or inappropriate, thing to do, even if you are a old white Jew from Westchester County, or a young fat Irish-Catholic living in Orlando.

But you’re right. Let’s not go down this road.

3.  GIANTT says:

Btw Dan , in the previous post , there was absolutely no criticism of you – you posted as it was written and I knew that when I commented .Im just nonplussed (always wanted to use that word somewhere) that any decent spell check didnt pick it up

tobogan = I deliberately misspelled it and even my rudimentary system picked it up

Its a bad day – I poured mayonnaise all over the cereal – I dropped tuna salad on my foot and I put my hand in some mysterious glop of uncertain origin – all before 7 am
    Of course my wife was laughing like crazy -Id better be careful or my reputation will be worse than meat locker boy

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I didn’t take it as a criticism. It was a poor oversight on my part (especially since spell check DID pick it up). I was merely in a rush. Bad mistake by me.

Does Strahan own this guy or what? So funny to see him b1tching. Makes it all the more sweet.

•  JimStoll says:

pretty soon no one will remember either player other than as some guy who was once really good but now only appears in grainy NFL films
      Warren’s just milking the last bit of notoriety out of his career before we’ve all forgotten and the newest and youngest fans never knew

5.  norm says:

All that remains to be done is for Justin Tuck to offer his views on Warren Sapp’s views on Michael Strahan.

Only then will the cycle be complete.

6.  kujo says:

It’s like Sapp isn’t satisfied with having gotten into the Hall of Fame before Strahan (which is f***ing bullsh*t if you ask me). He’s gotta rub dirt into the wound with a big stupid grin on his face, and gibberjabber coming out of his mouth. He’s a clown masquerading as an analyst (or “football historian”). F*** him. Hope Aaron Hernandez pays him a visit.

7.  F0XLIN says:

Aaron Hernandez released, should JR kick the tires?