June 23rd, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Just when they think they're out, the idea of landing All-Pro fullback Vonta Leach pulls the New York Giants back in. And perhaps a little of that has to do with concern over the MCL injury suffered by Henry Hynoski. Or so reports Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, who offered a somewhat surprising update on both late Saturday night.

Citing a source with knowledge of the situation, Vacchiano reports the team may make a "last-ditch" effort to try to sign Leach — a player whom they've danced around with many times before. And despite having only minimal cap space, the Giants have remained in contact with Leach and his agent, and may consider upping their offer due to lingering concern over the health of Hynoski.

However, there is a catch. The report also adds that Leach has absolutely not intention of signing anywhere on a one-year or veteran minimum-type deal. In other words, if the Giants are serious about signing Leach, they're going to have to pony up a legit and potentially multi-year deal.

As it currently stands, the Giants have approximately $3.3 million in cap space, whereas the Miami Dolphins, with whom Leach visited on the 12th, have upwards of $17.6 million in cap space. Another hot contender for the services of Leach, the Houston Texans, have only $2.8 million in cap space.

The chances Leach ends up in blue remains slim, but General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. aren't giving up on the notion just yet.

photo credit: The Brit_2 via photopin cc

Tags: Football, Henry Hynoski, Houston, Houston Texans, Jerry Reese, Miami, Miami Dolphins, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Vonta Leach

10 Responses to “New York Giants to Make Last-Ditch Effort to Try to Sign Fullback Vonta Leach: Report”

Have to give Leach credit … he certainly knows how to use us like a tool. We’re definitely his b1tch.

2.  Dirt says:

What is the shelf life of a FB? Multi-year deal for a 31 year old free agent FB who couldn’t get such a deal from the employer who saw him every day?

It’s a negotiating ploy to get more out of the Fins. Just like the last time we flirted with signing him.

•  rlhjr says:

You nailed it bro. But if the dolphins have any gray matter at all they will stand pat. They should know the Giants wont give Vonta more than their current offer.

As for the shelf life of a fullback. The guy who finished up his career with the Jets (Tony Richardson) he was still at the top of the heap when the kid Connor replaced him. I think that was four years ago. We’re talking guys who are beast like and understand how to take care of themselves.

Richardson went strong for 15 years. Leach has been around for 10.
        Given the nature of his work Leach may have three good years left.
        But the guy is a beast, and the Texan running game will miss him big time.

That said, I really like our Jurassic period fullback and would hate to lose him for a guy who while he is top tier, wont be a Giant for very long and will cost a lot more.

3.  GIANTT says:

So once again , wheres the money coming from ? The Giants still have two draft picks to sign – is that money already budgeted ? You know that someone is going to get injured in preseason , I hate to sound pessimistic but it happens . I think that 3.3 mill is a cushiion for that .
    Again who is Ralph Vs source ? Leachs agent I bet . I guess I dont mind the Giants being used to extract more money for Leach as long as its not the Giants money .
    I suppose I hope that Miami sees the error of its ways and refuses to pay Leach and he has to sign a one year vet minimum deal

4.  G-MenFan says:

Some bonehead will give him a multi-year deal. The Giants are just officially remaining interested in case several historically brain-dead FO’s are on vacation and don’t swoop in with a truck load of gold bullion and sign him through 2025.

5.  GIANTT says:

Just reading Pat Traina on the running backs . She must have read my mind . She cant see the Giants picking up Leach (as I said although if he has to take vet minimum it might work ) . She foresees Pascoe as a good fill in but if there is a tight end injury then the Giants will shift him back there and look for a full back later in the preseason (thats the 3.3 mil available ) or hope that someone like Cox is up the the task

6.  GIANTT says:

One thing Ive always respected about the Giants is that they always get value for money in their contracts and they always have been great manipulators of the cap .
    I dont understand how a team like Miami say can get to this point in the season and have 17 mill cap room . That tells me that they are not gettiing the best players available for the money . that kind of cap room represents a top echelon QB or a couple of top flight skill players or several run of the mill players who are better than the players they have at the moment and which they can certainly use .

7.  maratechfan says:

Those that say Leach is trying to use us to get more out of the Fish, have a good point.
    However, Let’s look at a few facts. IF Leach is not THE best fullback in the NFL, he is in the top 3. He is 31 years old. He played very well last year and is a weapon Gilbride and Manning would love. He can pass protect too.

I wanted him 3 years ago and all I want to say is I hope we can sign him now. I am not saying reach, just fill a hole we have to make our team better.

8.  Sonny Mukhopadhyay says:

Save the money, and go for the L.B, from Green Bay, we need defense more then offense at this point (and I like Leach).