Just when they think they're out, the idea of landing All-Pro fullback Vonta Leach pulls the New York Giants back in. And perhaps a little of that has to do with concern over the MCL injury suffered by Henry Hynoski. Or so reports Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, who offered a somewhat surprising update on both late Saturday night.
Citing a source with knowledge of the situation, Vacchiano reports the team may make a "last-ditch" effort to try to sign Leach — a player whom they've danced around with many times before. And despite having only minimal cap space, the Giants have remained in contact with Leach and his agent, and may consider upping their offer due to lingering concern over the health of Hynoski.
However, there is a catch. The report also adds that Leach has absolutely not intention of signing anywhere on a one-year or veteran minimum-type deal. In other words, if the Giants are serious about signing Leach, they're going to have to pony up a legit and potentially multi-year deal.
As it currently stands, the Giants have approximately $3.3 million in cap space, whereas the Miami Dolphins, with whom Leach visited on the 12th, have upwards of $17.6 million in cap space. Another hot contender for the services of Leach, the Houston Texans, have only $2.8 million in cap space.
The chances Leach ends up in blue remains slim, but General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. aren't giving up on the notion just yet.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1 Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants a Long Shot to Land Fullback Vonta Leach
- New York Giants Out of Vonta Leach Sweepstakes; Miami Dolphins in Lead to Land Fullback
- New York Giants Officially Reach Out to Agent of Vonta Leach; Remain a Long Shot
- Baltimore Ravens Set to Part Ways with FB Vonta Leach; Could New York Giants Be Interested?
- New York Giants Inquire About Former Baltimore Ravens’ FB Vonta Leach
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/wc2