June 18th, 2013 at 12:30 PM

When the New York Giants selected tight end Adrien Robinson with their fourth-pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, they did so with the expectation that he'd become a quality all-around player with athleticism unmatched by most at the same position around the league. In fact, General Manager Jerry Reese even went as far as calling him the "JPP of tight ends."

Of course, that was a lot of pressure for a young player to endure, and his rookie campaign didn't exactly go the way he would have liked it to. But, now entering his second season with the team, Robinson feels like he's come a long way and could make an impact here in 2013.

"I feel like I've come a long way from last year as far as understanding the offense and assignments. I think that's what impressed them the most," Robinson said last week.

Robinson's positive outlook has been mimicked by tight end coach Mike Pope, who admits he's seen a tremendous change in Robinson.

"Adrien appears to have gone into the land of the believers and, yes, he has been making some good progress. He is understanding assignment-wise," Pope said. "Now we have to get him to adjust to the way the defense is playing on each particular play and to make the best decisions based on how the defense is playing. But he is running well and he has his weight down some. The quarterback is starting to find him. He is hard to miss — he is the tallest tree in the forest out there. So he is a good target. But we are more than mildly pleased with the progress that he has made from an assignment standpoint."

This is a far cry from a year ago when both Pope and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said he was too "raw" and had "huge room for improvement." And while he hasn't perfected everything he'll need to in order to make a tremendous impact in this league, like the once raw Jason Pierre-Paul, he's getting there. Perhaps more importantly, and unlike a season ago, he'll have many more opportunities to learn on the job here in 2013.

As it stands, Brandon Myers is slated to be the starting tight end, but Robinson will certainly see some action behind him. The two are poised to play predominantly different offensive roles, and with Bear Pasoce filling in at fullback for the injured Henry Hynoski, the second-year player out of Cincinnati certainly has the chance to capitalize.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Brandon Myers, Football, Henry Hynoski, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jerry Reese, Kevin Gilbride, Mike Pope, New York, New York Giants, NFL

37 Responses to “New York Giants’ Adrien Robinson Feels Like He’s Come a Long Way; Mike Pope Agrees”

1.  Kevros says:

Repost:

fanfor55years says:
    June 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    This will be the first time in three seasons that Snee, Baas and Diehl enter camp fully healthy. I do not think most fans realize that, nor do they realize what that could mean.

Barring injury the 2013 offense can take this team a long way.

The defense may be unsettled, but there’s even a chance they will come together too. I think two things are critical there. If Herzlich wins the starting job he will have beaten out Connor, whom we know is at least an average NFL inside linebacker. That would mean that Herzlich is “better-than-average” and a future fixture at the position, likely to get progressively better as the season transpires. The other big issue is whether Corey Webster can come back from a disastrous season to play well enough to cover #2 receivers, and whether Fewell will have Amukamara switch to the #1 corner spot.

If those two things work out I think we’ll be okay on defense. If we’re “okay” on defense we should be in the thick of the race for the championship, with the added advantage of knowing it would be played for in our building. I’m starting to see the Giants as a sleeper team in 2013. I think most pundits will figure that San Francisco, Green Bay, Atlanta and and Seattle are the NFC powers and that Washington is the NFC East favorite with the Cowboys as second choice. They will feel the Giants have “too many questions”. Fine with me. I think a lot of the questions will be answered pretty well. They may still be a year away, but I’m starting to really like this 2013 team.

GOAT56 says:
    June 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    I’m not normally negative but why would we think Bass or Snee or going to be healthier when they haven’t done anything. I hope all three are healthy I just don’t think that’s a given yet with Bass and Snee.

I also thought it was interesting you though Diehl would start at guard or were you just naming players?

I don’t think Herzlich starting means he’s better than Conner. I think Conner has to beat Herzlich out, it’s not a completely fair fight. But I do have hope that Herzlich can be above average.

Kevros says:
    June 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    I think Herzlich starting means that he is better than Connor in this defense, right now. I absolutely think it’s a fair fight, it’s just that Herzlich has a head-start on the playbook and with relationships with everyone on D. If Connor is better by the end of camp, then he will start, but I have a feeling that they are about equal physically and Herz’s leadership will elevate him to being a decent MLB for us…

I just don’t think we want to give the starting job to Conner if he’s not clearly better. A tie or slight advantage by Conner I think still ends up with Herzlich as the starter. If just simply for the fact we have Herzlich under control for another year and Conner is only here for one more year.

Repost:

This article made me think about what he could bring to the table for us. Not too different than Cribbs but I think Hester is more dynamic but not the all round special teams player Cribbs has been. I don’t know if we would give up a draft pick but if he’s on the market we have to consider it. I think Jerigan and some other player will give us good enough KR/PR to succeed this year. But Hester is a HOF level PR/KR guy. We brought in Brain Mitchell and Hester is younger and better than Mitchell was when we had him.

•  F0XLIN says:

If it came down to Barden v Hester, I’d take Hester all day. It would take Wilson out of the mix without losing any return ability, and offer a big upgrade at PR. I could careless about him as a receiver as he wouldn’t see the field much anyway, and would be better than Barden

•  GIANTT says:

I cant see the Giants giving up a pick for him and paying him more than a vets minimum wouldnt be in the cards either . No , I think that PR and KR duties will be handled by those on the team now .

I’m very high on Robinson. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up the year as our starter. Robinson has the talent to play TE in the exact way we want our TEs to play. He brings a very similar skill set to Bennett’s but Robinson is actually faster. Him missing OTAs last year put him at an unfair disadvantage. Myers I understand has some pass receiving skills. But his blocking skills can hurt his playing time with us. Also, without Hynoski I see more 2 TE sets.

4.  sonnymooks says:

I know the Cruz situation has been beaten to death and resurrected, but this new weird twist is getting annoying now.

The whole “prima donna” myth or complaining that he was in a club buying champagne.

Lets be clear here.

NONE of these guys are boy scouts. Eli liked to go to places in Hoboken before he got married and started a family, and there were a few stories about him back at ole Miss.

Peyton was known to enjoy his night life too.

Cruz buys some champagne, wow, look, he’s not a minumum wage guy making a few bucks, and he is a celebrity, its not like he can go to the neighborhood corner bar and kick back with a few beers and not get swarmed.

If he wants to go out to a bar, it has to be a club, and it has to be where he can get VIP service (i.e. in a roped off area with security).

This phoney baloney “faux populism” man of the people act is honestly annoying, alot of celebrities do it, I find it patronizing, condescending and frankly insulting.

He had a contract issue, he couldn’t show up to camp, he has an agent, and he is letting his agent do what his agent is supposed to do.

If he isn’t letting his partying get in the way of his playing, then its no concern of mine. Granted, not everyone is the eagle scout who stayed home and worked on their game nonstop like Mickey Mantle used to (oh wait, lol).

As for a clothing line, well, good for him if so, if anything, it makes it more important to stay in NYC then it does to go anywhere else, and it gives the Giants that much more leverage.

The only concern I have is what he does on the field, if what he does off the field affects that, then its an issue, if it doesn’t, then its no problem.

I’m not going to let envy or jealousy color my rationale on his production, he produces, then he can do whatever the hell he wants….

That story is silly and means absolutely nothing.

But I do think there are legitimate worries to how important football will be too Cruz once he gets his money. This contract is not repaying Cruz for being grossly underpaid for the past two years it’s to pay him for his worth for the duration of the contract. I’m a little worried that Cruz will lose a little focus. Not anything that he’s not working out or taking his job seriously but that razor sharp focus that it took him to get to this point from 3 years ago maybe lost. That concerns me more than some other players.

5.  wrdag says:

Several posts ago there was a debate on the taxes that players pay, having worked for a sports agent let me clarify how its done. To make the numbers easy assume a QB makes exactly 16 million a year or 1 million a game.
    For federal tax purposes its easy thats 39.5% tax on 16 million.
    State tax is broken down by where games are played.
    For a Giant 8 games are home played in NJ, thus 8 million taxable in NJ at max rate of nearly 9%. = ballpark $720,000
    One game played in Dallas..no state tax, zero owed
    One game played in Philly, state tax in Penn. 3% = 30m
    One game played versus Redskins, tax in DC 8.5% = 85m
    you get the idea, each game 1/16 of the total salary is allocated to where the game is being played. This works like this for other sports and for example is why the Dream Team in the NBA is located in Miami where there is no state tax. That saves LeBron and company millions a year. If you think that the tax rate in states like NJ or California are high (CA is nearly 11%) dont get signed by a pro team in Canada where the rates are insane. In the NBA and MLB there are plenty of trades that have been bolcked or fell apart because the player wont sign for a team in Canada based on the tax.
    You can figure any pro athlete pays 39.5% federal, on average 5%-6.5% in various state taxes and 5-10% to his agent and as you can see a good accountant. This means that HALF as in the famous Eddie Murphy comedy routine is gone the day they sign..THATS HALF THEIR MONEY. There is no secret rich person way to avoid this contrary to what the left leaning media may have you believe. With half the money gone before they buy cars, homes, jewelry and have multiple kids and marriages you can assume that going broke is a foregone conclusion especially in the NFL with no guaranteed contracts outside signing bounus.

There absolutely is a rich man’s way to save on taxes. Become a poor man. It’s like the old saying: “How do you make a small fortune? Start with a large one.”

There’s a reason plenty of world soccer stars and actors are residents of Monaco.

When my accountant tells me every year what percentage of my gross income is owed in taxes I threaten to fire him every time. I admit that it’s fair given an obligation of those who do well to share the bounty, but it is most definitely painful and probably impossible for a young man with no financial education, little support structure, and very little sense of how to limit one’s desires when everyone wants a piece of you to keep a lot of the money. There are exceptions (no one will ever have to worry about Eli or Peyton or Tom Brady) but those are exceptions. It’s pretty sad that many of these guys sacrifice their bodies and wind up with too little to show for it because they’re fools. It’s their own fault, but it’s still too bad.

•  wrdag says:

We dabbled in tennis and the taxes on those international athletes are still pretty high. Most tournaments withold taxes at the source and then the athlete files to get back some of it. For example a golfer or tennis player wins a million in France, the French tourney pulls out the tax based on French taxes as if they live there and you net 400m for example. Then you need to file a French tax return to try to get back some of that. What Monaco does in large part is keep the taxes down on their huge endorsement deals. Same in the US where Tiger Woods lives in Florida and pays zero state tax on endorsements but would get hit with California tax on his tourney winnings at Pebble Beach.

•  wrdag says:

Most guys are in serious trouble by their 3rd year in retirement and in most cases have no marketable skills to land a decent job. In Baseball if you can get them to I think 45 and they had a decent career the pension can be nearly 100m plus depending on how much they made and how many years played. Football has very little money guaranteed and with such short careers the pension is not very good. Allof which combined with our crazy tax burden you can get a Vince Young…as you said his fault but still bad.

•  sonnymooks says:

Before we get into the whole tax thing, something to consider.

Players hire agents, the agents job is (supposed to be) to work in the best interests of the client.

Usually that means seeking out maximum contracted money.

Most of these players do not come from wealthy backgrounds.

They have family (and as many athletes attest, that family seems to get alot bigger when you sign a contract). They have friends (oddly, the circle of friends seems to also grow when you sign a contract).

NFL players and NBA players seem more prone to sport bankrupticies then other sports, and part of it, they do not know how to handle money, they have “people” (usually not the best people either) to manage it.

There is also a paranoia, that at any given time, they can lose everything. Its also why football players constantly worry about transitioning to post playing days.

If you are going to blame a player, blame his agent first. Their job is their job, just as the teams job is its job with contracts.

Baas had bone spurs removed from his elbow and a “little procedure” on his body and has pronounced himself feeling better than in a long time. Snee had what had been a real hip problem corrected, and was said by team doctors to have been significantly restricted in lateral push last year because of what are now problems of the past. And we know Diehl played hurt the past two seasons.

New dings will come, but it really helps to start out feeling good.

Robinson is going to be a stud. Myers is going to make the catches that Boss used to make and be a key part of a very much improved Red Zone offense. I loved Marty B. , but these tight ends will wind up giving the team more than he did. The fans are going to wonder how Reese got Myers at the price at which he came.

•  jfunk says:

Myers is never going to see that $4M/yr option from the Giants.

Robinson is going to be the unquestioned #1 2-way TE by mid season.

No way is JR paying our #2 TE $4M.

The $4MM will probably be renegotiated, but I think Myers will be here for a while beyond 2013. If we have the ability to line up with two tight ends who are both threats and we have David Wilson and Andre Brown (or Cox if Brown moves on after this season) in the backfield, and Nicks and one of Randle or Cruz out wide, there aren’t defenses that will be able to cope with that. The matchups will kill anyone.

7.  rlhjr says:

I think Robinson is a stud and will demonstrate as much when he get’s on the field. I think he is/was a true sleeper pick and will be strong evidence as to the scouting and talent evaluation prowess of Reese/Ross and the remainder of the Giants scouting department.

I agree with all that Kevros says with the following exception;
    Herzlich will only be as effective as the middle of the Giant defensive line is.
    And while I believe in the kid, the development of Hankins, Moore, Ojomo and Tracy along with help from Jenkins and Patterson are essential to the Giants success on defense.

I just don’t see any scenario in which Herzlich or Connor will be difference makers in the Giants defense. Strong contributors yes, difference makers no.
    What makes the difference for me is I would love to see Herzlich succeed.

The only thing that would change my lack of faith in Snee and Baas would be a demonstration of ability to “pull” or “trap block” their lack of mobility detracts from their performance. Slowness afoot leads to many holding calls, a fair share of sacks and blown up running plays.

8.  F0XLIN says:

During the same interview Gilbride spoke about Bear playing in the backfield, how it would open up a lot of options and keep the D guessing. That is if you are in the school of thought that he offers any ability as a blocker and or pass catcher.

One thing for sure: if we don’t see a very successful Red Zone offense with the personnel we’ll be able to put out there this season then the problem is the coaching, no question about it. Two great tight end targets, two backs who can get into the end zone both by run or pass, Nicks healthy, both Nicks and Randle able to win the fade battle in the air, and enough big bodies to supply an additional tackle when needed. No excuses this season. It’s all on Coughlin and Gilbride.

•  F0XLIN says:

And the o line, if they can step it up from average to slightly above average… we’re in for a show

10.  wvchirodoc says:

Thoughts on Cruz, he’s developing Diva tendancies. How many diva WR’s help get their team to the Super Bowl?? He just wants money now which is a big change from where he was at entering the league as an unknown. I get it, he wants paid I just dont want the Giants to spend a boatload on the WR position when unknowns can be plugged in with success. We need to give the big contracts to the big uglies fighting it out in the trenches. Nicks is a WR Im on board with, does his job, keeps quiet and has the ability to take over a game. Anyone who didnt watch his final bowl game at UNC needs to watch it. Big play after big play, guy is an animal when healthy. Cruz went undrafted for a reason and now that he’s tasted success and has shown other interests outside of football, expect his production to go down. More dropped passes, less effort every play. Anyone remember Braddie shoving him around for his PU$$Y blocking effort last year?? Thats what Cruz represents. I dont think he’s a team first player now. He’s made it. Get ready for the new VC!!