June 14th, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Wide receiver Victor Cruz is reportedly on his way to the New York Giants' team facilities in East Rutherford, NJ this morning where he will sign his one-year, $2.879 million restricted free agent (RFA) tender.

"I'm going to sign my tender today and will continue talks for a long-term deal before camp starts," he told ESPN Bureau's Josina Anderson.

The timing of this decision is not as random as it may appear on the surface and by no means indicates he was merely trying to skip organized team activities (OTAs) and mandatory mini-camp. Instead, this decision comes only days before the Giants could have reduced his tender amount from the aforementioned $2.879 million to the veteran minimum of $630,000.

Although negotiations on a long-term deal remain in a bit of a stalemate, it was inevitable that one side blinked before the other and it comes as no great surprise that it was Cruz's camp. The Giants have had, and still have, most of the leverage in these ongoing negotiations — negotiations that now become a big easier for General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. as Cruz can now be fined $30,000 a day if he holds out of training camp.

The risk for Cruz becomes his health. Ideally, he and his agent, Tom Condon of CAA, would like to come to a long-term deal before he ever sets foot on the field because an injury (a la Steve Smith) would essentially end any and all hopes he had of such a deal.

photo credit: Football Schedule via photopin cc

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Smith, Tom Condon, Victor Cruz

11 Responses to “Victor Cruz Will Sign One-Year RFA Tender Today; Still Seeking Long-Term Deal from New York Giants”

1.  GIANTT says:

So is this just a predictable non event ?
    So he signs his tender and starts to work on a long term deal .
    Giants will offer or keep on the table the deal they have offered him so far .
    Cruz will demand what he has been demanding .
    If he has an average year and gets to free agency some desperate team will over pay and he will leave the Giants and miss the money he would have made in NY working with JZ
    If he has a good year some team will DEFINITELY overpay and he will not miss that money so much but …
    If he has a poor year or gets injured , he will go the way of Steve Smith and miss out on a big pay day and the Giants and Eli will find his replacement

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

Just as I thought would happen.

I’m not as optimistic as everyone here for Cruz staying past this year. Let someone else overpay him.

3.  Chad Eldred says:

Predictable, yes. But strategically this is a bit of a concession on the part of Cruz. Being a malcontent and skipping camp, holding out, etc will not help him negotiate a long term deal with us or anyone else. Reese and Mara have had the leverage since the beginning. This is Cruz’ only play.

4.  jfunk says:

I’m not sure I’d call this a concession by Cruz.

I’m not sure exactly how many days there are of training camp that he can be officially fined for, but I suspect the math works in Cruz’s favor.

In other words, under the 2.8M tender, if he skips camp and holds out until the last possible moment his six game checks will still be more than his salary for the year would have been under the 10% increase rule.

I made a post spelling this out a few days ago. But they say he’s in the building so it might not be any drama.

It makes sense for Cruz. I always wondered why he wouldn’t sign the tender once the offer sheet period ended. At least he guarantees him self 2.9 mil. I guess he didn’t have to until Monday so he thought it might help with negotiations.

The long term deal will be interesting. I still think this article might be the type of compromise that could be made. A 3 year deal might work well for both sides.

“A deal should be able to be made if Condon embraces this concept. Placing a value in the $10 million per year neighborhood on each of Cruz’s two unrestricted years and adding the total to his $2.879 million restricted free-agent tender could give Cruz a three-year, $23 million deal. He would become an unrestricted free agent as a 29-year old under this approach.”

6.  F0XLIN says:

What the hell am I suppose to read about for the rest of the summer?

I wonder if Cruz has an entourage now that travels with him. Maybe some fat bodyguards. And a couple of hot girls fetching him softdrinks.

8.  norm says:

Only $2.879 million?

For a whole year’s worth of work?

That’s chump change for a fashion mogul. I doubt Pierre Cardin or Giorgio Armani even get of bed in the morning for anything less than five.

I’m actually starting to feel bad for the kid. Think I’ll scoot on over to the mall and load up on Young Whales summer wear. At the full retail price, of course.

Anything I can do to help.