New York Giants’ David Diehl not Ready to Be Unseated by Justin Pugh

June 14th, 2013 at 10:00 AM

'David Diehl' photo (c) 2006, Alexa - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ When the New York Giants drafted Syracuse offensive lineman Justin Pugh with their first pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, many thought it spelled the end for David Diehl. However, that's not how the situation has played out to date, with Diehl taking a pay cut to remain with Big Blue. Furthermore, Diehl has made it abundantly clear that he will not be ushering the youngster into his former position and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride expects a tireless battle for the right tackle position.

"The man's not going to give up the job," Gilbride said of Diehl on Thursday. "He doesn’t care who’s been drafted. He was a low draft pick when he got here and nobody expected a lot from him. What’s he been playing now, 10 years? I think it’s going to be very difficult for somebody to unseat him."

Of course, that is not to say it's impossible. Pugh will have every opportunity to win the starting right tackle job out of training camp — it's just not going to be easy.

"But certainly Justin was brought in for just that reason, to be a starting position. Not necessarily to unseat David, because David can move inside and be a guard for us. So it looks like Justin has enough ability down the road. It looks like he moves well enough. It looks like he’s intelligent enough. It looks like he’s focused, professional, determined. So I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t become a good player for us down the road."

In the mean time, Pugh better get his credit card ready — he's got a lot of very large veteran teammates to feed once training camp begins late next months.

Tags: David Diehl, Football, Justin Pugh, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL

14 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Diehl not Ready to Be Unseated by Justin Pugh”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

June 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    REPOST:
    This guy is the best fullback in the league. All you need to know about what the Giants think of him is that they actually signed him to a pretty generous RFA offer sheet a few years back. He’s an instant upgrade over a fully healthy Hynoski, and I love me some Hynoski (I’m wearing my Hynocerous t-shirt as I type this).

That being said, there’s simply no way Reese pays enough to land him nor am I certain it would be a wise move anyway. Assuming Hynoski will be back at full strength sometime in the first half of the season, I’m not sure that our team couldn’t be upgraded more by spending the kind of money required to sign Leach elsewhere.

I agree with you that he’s the best in the league. And we won’t sign him. Goat might disagree with you though, he thinks that at this stage in Leech’s career, the Rhino is better. Crazy talk.

•  F0XLIN says:

Just look at Tony Richardson who was one of the better FB’s in the league well into his late 30′s, Leach has plenty of tread on the tires. I agree though, too much $ for the Giants

I do disagree but let’s say Leach is better and affordable. I still wouldn’t sign him if Hynoski is going to be ready early in the season. If Leach is #1, what is Hynoski like #5? Hynoski is ascending, much younger and cheaper. You don’t upset your chemistry and replace a young rising player fora vet who’s just slightly better.

Repost:

I think Leach was the best FB but not anymore. I respect the Ravens a lot and them letting go of him shows his play has slipped more than many realize in my view. The Ravens know what they are doing which is why they paid him a few years ago and let him go now. Therefore I don’t think Leach is an upgrade for Hynoski. I think the interest in Leach is as an injury replacement. But the continued interest in Leach shows there is real concern about Hynoski and a several have said I think him starting the year on PUP is likely. If we sign Leach I take it as a sign Hynoski could be done for the year because why would Leach sign with other options with teams that don’t have an established FB?

3.  GIANTT says:

Both Leach and Hynoski are good full backs but of course Leach is better maybe the best out there .The debate comes whether Leach would be worth the increased salary over Henry and whether the Giants have the money in any case to pay him . Obviously they dont unless Leach plays for minimum wage which it doesnt look like it will happen unless there is a change in the situation in place right now .
    Plus , the Giants have some cap room right now , why spend it when they have options on team right now and they also might need that space to sign someone else if it comes to the inevitable injury in preseason and the Giants need to sign someone ?
    Putting Pascoe or whoever is on the team and impresses gives them more flexibility on the final 53 . Small moves or nonmoves right now will mean the difference in saving a much needed spot on the final team

If mid-season rolls around … and David Diehl is starting while Justin Pugh is on the bench … then I’m afraid that would make our #1 pick a total bust.

Pugh is here for 5 years. His value is not based on 1 year regardless. I understand wanting Diehl replaced but it was never a given. Is Wilson a bust because he could even earn the #2 RB job last year? Was KP a bust because he didn’t start until late in the season as a rookie? Don’t make your view short sighted in accessing Pugh.

I’m OK with them both starting. But there’s no way to justify David Diehl playing and our highly touted #1 pick sitting on his butt. If Pugh can’t get into the lineup by mid-seaon … that all pre-season and 8 games … AND somehow Diehl can … then there’s something very wrong with him.

I think Diehl is a warrior. I’ve often praised his ethics and effort. But he’s just not very good. He’s no Ahmad Bradshaw. So comparisons to Wilson don’t fly. Besides, Wilson was a killer on specials.

That OL is not exactly stellar. If Pugh can’t crack it then he’s not the player we hoped for.

•  Chad Eldred says:

The horse has left the barn regarding Pugh being a bust.

JBeast says:
      April 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I think the giants really messed up on this pick I think this is JR first bust of a first round.”

This is just part of the comedy gold sitting in the archives.

5.  jfunk says:

As for Diehl, a truly great Giant. He’s had a tremendous career. Has to be one of the best 5th round Giants of all time.

There is absolutely no question that Pugh will benefit greatly from having to pry his job out of this man’s grip.

•  JimStoll says:

Diehl has not been good for a long time, at least 2, arguably 3 years
      if Pugh is not good enough to unseat him then it likely means our O-line will not improve over 2012, unless of course Diehl experiences some sort of rennessaince
      that would be disappointing

6.  jahmyrr says:

Cant say I disagree with this article :( Would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

Outside Linebacker, Giants

It’s an annual struggle for Giants fans. Even though the Giants simply don’t value linebackers as high priorities, a good percentage of the fan base wants the team to finally hit free agency and go after a notable backer or two. After all, the last time the Giants really paid top dollar for a linebacker was when they signed Antonio Pierce, and he was a defensive leader on a Super Bowl–winning team. They bought low on Michael Boley a few years ago and got a useful starter on another Super Bowl winner, so when they cut Boley this offseason, it was reasonable to assume that they might go after a useful veteran or draft his replacement. Nope. Instead, first-round busts Keith Rivers and Aaron Curry will compete for a starting job at one outside linebacker spot, with Jacquian Williams manning the other side. There’s even less behind them. It’s going to be a lot of fun watching them try to chase down Robert Griffin next season. Wait — sorry, to clarify, it’s going to be a lot of fun for Redskins fans.