June 13th, 2013 at 1:52 PM
By Doug Rush

A little over two years ago, when he was selected in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, Prince Amukamara came in with high expectations for the New York Giants.

'Commissioner Goodell with Prince Amukamara' photo (c) 2011, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

With veteran cornerbacks on the team like Aaron Ross, Corey Webster and Terrell Thomas, Amukamara was looked upon as the new guy who would make the group better. He suffered a major setback on his second day of training camp with the team, as he broke his foot, an injury which knocked him out for almost 3.5 months. Amukamara didn't make his debut for the Giants until November of 2011 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

He was finally able to show everyone why the Giants took him with a high pick, as in his first game, he intercepted a pass from Vince Young. He also was part of a secondary that helped the Giants get to and win Super Bowl XLVI in February of 2012.

In 2012, because of injuries and lack of depth, Amukamara was one of the few bright spots in the secondary and make improvements to his game; making 53 total tackles with an interception and seven pass deflections.

Now coming into his third season into the league, the just-turned 24-year-old corner has set some lofty expectations for himself in 2013 and in his career, thinking that he can be the Giants number one corner, as well as the best corner in the whole entire NFL.

"I want to be the No. 1 corner on this team,'' Amukamara said. "I feel like right now Corey [Webster] is and my goal is to always just try to beat him out and I think as soon as I establish myself as the No. 1 corner than hopefully become the No. 1 corner in the whole league. I know that’s gonna take work but I mean, guys that came out of my drafting class are doing great, Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman, those are the guys I kind of compare myself to. I’m just trying to exceed all of them, I guess."

When you look at Amukamara's game films and break him down, he has all the skills to be a true number one cornerback, but his biggest setback has been the injury bug and being able to stay on the field for a full season.

In all of 2012, Amukamara only got burned once on a big pass-play down field, which was the high-scoring game against the New Orleans Saints in early December. Other than that, Amukamara is able to use his strength to re-direct receivers and get them off their routes and use his speed to stay with them and break up a play.

With Webster in the final year of his contract, along with Thomas on a one-year deal, Amukamara's time to step up for the Giants is this season, and from the looks of things, he's realizing that he has to, and it's something his position coach, Peter Guinta, sees in Amukamara and told Art Stapleton of the Begen Record last week during OTA's.

"From last spring to this spring, he's a different player. He sees the game completely now," he said.

Right now, most would consider Tampa Bay Buccaneers corner Darrelle Revis and Seattle Seahawks corner Richard Sherman to be the best corners in the league right now, so Amukamara has still some work ahead of him to be playing at that kind of level. However, the sky is the limit on how well Amukamara can perform, and if he can develop into that number one cornerback role, then he makes the Giants defense that much better going forward.

Tags: Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Terrell Thomas

13 Responses to “New York Giants CB Prince Amukamara: “I Want to Be the No. 1 Corner in the Whole League””

Though I haven’t lost hope on Webster still being a good player, he shouldn’t be our #1 CB. We NEED Prince to be the #1 guy and if he isn’t we are in trouble.

2.  jfunk says:

It would be absolutely huge for this team if Prince can establish himself as a top-5 corner and remain healthy in that position for the duration of the Eli era.

He definitely has the talent. He appears to have the brains. Can he stay healthy?

3.  norm says:

I’d say the title of #1 CB is very much up for grabs.

No one can say at this point how Revis will bounce back from his torn ACL.

And it remains to be seen how well Sherman can play sans juice – for which he presumably will be tested to a fare-the-well this year.

That said, my pick for the title going forward would not be Prince but the Cards’ Patrick Peterson. Dude’s gonna be a stud.

You beat me to this post … !!!

I agree that Peterson is next inline. But honestly we just need Prince to play at a probowl level, not be the best. I’m glad that’s his goal though.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Caliborne > Peterson.

Don’t agree at all. Prince is better today than Claiborne. Prince has the Same upside as Claiborne. Peterson is an elite athlete which neither Prince or Claiborne is therefore has all decade ability. He reminds me of a young Champ Bailey.

•  purorock says:

100% agree on Revis. How can someone be the best at something when you haven’t done it? He didn’t play last year so how is he the best CB?

4.  LUZZ says:

The Giants do run draw in their 2:00 offense, just not as much. Why? Because it’s a 2:00 offense and a draw doesn’t allow you to easily stop the clock.

The obsessing about the play calling here is over the top. The amount of checking that Eli does at the LOS makes it nearly impossible for any of us to know what’s truly coming in from our OC and what Eli is checking to.

The offense really wasn’t the problem last year. They had their bad moments, but performed decently on the whole. The defense … 29th in the NFL … sucked. Yet Gilbride is the target of much more abuse than Perry “3rd and long? Sure, be my guest” Fewell.

•  LUZZ says:

Fans don’t realize we could do far far worse than Gilbride.

2nd guessing playing is simply the easiest thing to do as a fan on all levels. Go to any high school game in the country and sit in the stands. All you hear are people who know nothing about football questioning the play calling.

Last year was the first time in 5 or 6 seasons that we didn’t have a top 10 offense in scoring and yards. Gillbride has done an unappreciated job. He’s not perfect but neither is Eli.

6.  mikesenior says:

The Giants need a better medical staff or scouting staff or luck because when it comes to the secondary the INJURY BUG is big and mean.