June 12th, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Training camp is not yet upon us and already the top New York Giants story is related to injuries. Some of them are old, some of them are new, but the common denominator is that they're keeping players from practicing. And on Tuesday afternoon, head coach Tim Coughlin offered a few quick updates on most of them.

Coughlin on David Baas (elbow) and Chris Snee (hip):

“That’s what I’m told, that they will be ready to go,” said Coughlin. “I’m sure there will be some limitations. It won’t be like what it is here. They’ll be able to work.”

Coughlin on Jason Pierre-Paul (back):

“He’s back and he’s here, but he’s in the process of getting to the point where he can do some things and I know that probably for the first three or four weeks he’s not going to be doing much.”

Coughlin on Hakeem Nicks (knee):

“He got some work in today and that was good,” said Coughlin.

Coughlin on Henry Hynoski (knee):

“He’s doing well,” said Coughlin. “Everyday he’s in there.”

In addition to the aforementioned Giants, cornerback Terrell Thomas (knee) did some individual work on the side and hopes to be ready for training camp, while defensive tackle Markus Kurn, who is recovering from an ACL tear, sat out of practice, but also hopes to be ready by the start of training camp.

Photo credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Chris Snee, David Baas, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Henry Hynoski, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas

10 Responses to “New York Giants Update the Status of Henry Hynoski, Jason Pierre-Paul and Other Injured Players”

No real surprises. We’ll know more when camp opens … July 26th I believe.

2.  F0XLIN says:

Is that a typo or did Coughlin actually say the exact same thing for both JPP and Hank the Tank?

At least no “setbacks” (a la Derek Jeter).

I think people are creating a variety of straw men regarding Cruz and Nicks. I think the appropriate position is clear: we all want Cruz to stay a member of the Giants; we all know his presence helps the offense, especially his big play ability; we all know that Nicks is a true #1 outside receiver who has to show he can stay healthy; we all (or almost all) think that Cruz is NOT worth $9-10MM per year against the cap and that the Giants should not pay him that; we all know that Nicks is going to get paid big if he has a good 2013; and many of us are reasonably worried that Cruz (who still can improve quite a lot, especially in regard to concentration on catching the ball) has his head in a lot of things that have nothing to do with football and may be surrounded by people who reinforce a false sense of self-worth in what is the ultimate team sport.

For my part, I’ve said two things that I think are worthy of debate. One is that I do not want the Giants paying Cruz more than $7.5MM and would rather they save the money to be spent elsewhere if it takes much more to sign him. The other is that the offense CAN replace much of his production (combining the play of whomever plays the slot with more yards from the tight ends and the running backs) even if it cannot replace his home run potential (although if Murphy can play the slot even the home run potential is replaced) and the points accumulated might be pretty close to the same whether Cruz plays or not. You can disagree, but tell me why and what you’d do. Don’t play the “disrespect” card and don’t tell me I hate Cruz. I don’t. I want him here. But the team comes first. I’ve said previously that besides Eli Manning every player on this team is replaceable. Cruz is no different from any other.

I’m all-in with the Giants’ approach. Assess the value of the player, make him a solid offer that doesn’t low-ball him, and then stick with it (except for a few crumbs to feed the agent’s and player’s ego so they can feel they “won” the negotiation) at the risk of allowing the player to leave. And always have a back-up plan (and if you think that going out and getting Myers, a really good receiver who has not yet peaked, and Murphy, a guy who can spread the defense and make the home run play, had nothing to do with back-up plans then Jerry Reese and John Mara are thinking way ahead of you). I hope Cruz stays. That would be great. But I think the Giants went to their indifference point (as do all great negotiators) and now are prepared for whatever comes. You can disagree with their approach. I don’t.

•  JimStoll says:

where I think you are wrong a bit is in underrating the home run potential
      Cruz had 4 more receptions in 2012 than he did in 2011 and 400+ fewer yards. That’s all those home runs.
      the offense was far less consistent and effective as a result.
      The home runs are what made the gianys magical season in 2011
      they are especially important when you can’t consistently run the ball, can’t pick up third and short with regularity, and fail to convert the vast majority of your red zone opportunites into TDs

the most disappointing aspect of the Giants’ offense during the Gilbride Reign of Error has been the low TD conversion percentage inside the 20
      ergo: home runs needed

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Those “home run” plays were also a result of Nicks not being on the field.

Look, Cruz made one of the great plays in Giants’ history on that long TD against the Jets in 2011. That play turned the season and it was HIS play, not Eli’s. And he abused his mano-a-mano opponent in the NFC Championship game. They don’t win the ring without him.

Can you replace that play against the Jets? Not likely. It takes a special player. Can you replace about 75-80% of his yards in 2011-2012 with a very good slot receiver and Eli targeting that receiver as frequently? Probably. Can you make up the remainder of those yards via good play from the tight ends (Myers and Robinson should be a dynamic duo by midway through the season) and better use of the running backs (both Brown and Wilson can run and can catch)? I think so. So while you may lose the lightning-in-a-bottle (and I readily acknowledge that is a real loss) you might not lose the production, and you just might score as many points (which is the ultimate issue).

The need for home runs is for all the causes you cite. But I think with these tight ends this season, a better O-line and what should be the best running game we’ve had in years, the need for those big plays remains but is just less crucial enough to perhaps allow great results despite “losing” the few of them that Cruz might have made.

Again, I want Cruz, but at the price the team proposes (or a touch more). Those extra $2.5-3MM will be needed elsewhere to build a championship team again. If it takes that to keep him I’d let him go and look for a quality slot receiver on my roster or elsewhere who would be happy to take $4MM per year and produce 75% of Cruz’s production. That’s about $5MM not paid Cruz that goes a LONG way toward team-building.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    June 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    I think people are overrating Nicks need to put up big numbers this year. Guys like Wallace and Jennings just got paid off of poor years. And Harvin only played half the year and is a bigger injury risk than Nicks but got paid huge dollars. Nicks is a 10 mil plus guy on the open market regardless of performance as long as he has no lingering injury issue.

We know what Nicks can do so I don’t see why we would need him to perform well to pay him. To me waiting to re-sign Nicks only works if he has a serious injury. His value won’t be diminished nearly as much as some think if he’s banged up again.

Unlike many I have no problem with Cruz off the field. He may only have one time to really make money so I don’t fault him at all. I just think he’s overvaluing his worth to the Giants as a RFA. He’s not going to get UFA money from us or his top market value like Wallace did. The Giants have several players that will be in the situation of Cruz in the next few years so JR can’t afford to budge even if he ends up losing Cruz as result. When players have a year left under control of the team there’s only so much JR should offer more than in the range of a fair offer.

5.  giankees says:

Couple of points

Makes no sense to sign leach unless you are cutting hynoski and he is avail for minnimum, which he is not.

Cruz getting a bad rap for missing voluntary ota and now another otais kind of rediculous. If your tired of hearing about it dont read!! As long as he is in by preaeason im not aure whatvthe big deal is. He wants money that matches his numbers. We would all want the same thing. Reese is doin a good job by not folding and keepin his eye on the big picture. If he wants more than what reese will give him he has that right. There have been far worse holdouts that actually meant something. The longer he waits the better poation the giants are in cause ghey have time to develop randle and a slot. I dont know about you but when i see a cruz article i pass by it and move onto slmething else. I certainly dont want to stop dealinh with him just cause im tired of reading about it. Big deal! I still want him on the giants and when he signs we will all love hom as much as before.

Things im interested in

Randle development
    5th and 6th rec competition
    Who will start at lb positions
    How off line shakes out
    Brewer development
    Will tt comeback against all odds
    Who will be odd men out on dt
    How good nassib looks in camp
    Back up rb
    Development of robinson
    Will meyers be the steal of fa for giants
    Moore and hankins
    Ojomo and tracy will they make the squad
    Does a full offseason show up in our results

Not interested in cruz contract developments.

All good points. Neither Cruz nor the Giants are doing anything wrong regarding the contract. If this runs into August it is THEN a major issue.

I think many don’t realize that the difference between a full off-season and the very shortened one after a Super Bowl win (with the attendant celebrating and charity events and so on) is big. One of the main reasons it’s so hard to repeat. This team was mentally spent last season. They should be renewed now and ready to play.