New York Giants’ David Carr on Ryan Nassib: “I’m Here to Help Him”

June 12th, 2013 at 4:30 PM
By Doug Rush

The subject of the next quarterback after Eli Manning for the New York Giants hasn't been a topic that has been needed to be brought up, especially with the two-time Super Bowl MVP still playing in his prime. Yet, back in April, General Manager Jerry Reese traded up in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft to select Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib; a pick that shocked a lot of people, but has been called one of the best moves of the entire draft.

'David Carr and Martellus Bennett Warm Up' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Before the draft, Nassib was considered to be a first-round pick, but somehow fell three rounds further than expected and right into the Giants laps. And while Nassib won't be taking snaps with the Giants first team for a very long time, he could very well challenge veteran backup David Carr, who has been with the team in two stints since 2008.

Tom Rock of Newsday talked to Carr during the team's mandatory mini-camp this week and discussed the possibility of the rookie taking his job and pushing him out of New York all together.

"It doesn't affect me at all," Carr said at Giants minicamp on Wednesday. "That's going to be a decision they have to make. That's what Coach [Tom] Coughlin said to me in the spring after they drafted him. He was like: 'Let us make the decisions. Just go out there and use your experience and be the player we know you are and let us worry about all of that.' That's my mindset anyway, that's what I was going to do anyway. I can't control what they decide to do at the end. I'm just going to play my best football and see what happens."

The Giants haven't carried three quarterbacks on the roster since the 2007 seasons, and the team could very well stick to their trend of keeping just two quarterbacks on the team, which means Carr is very well playing for a roster spot in 2013. However, despite that Nassib and Carr are competing against one another, the 12th year veteran will do everything he can to help the rookie this summer in getting accustomed to being an NFL quarterback.

"I'm trying to help Ryan," Carr said. "This is my 12th year and there are a lot of things I can teach him. He's going to play a lot longer than me. I'm going to be done playing and he's still going to be playing at some point. Hopefully he can look at me as a guy who helped him and didn't hurt him."

Carr is a former number one overall pick of the Houston Texans back in the 2002 NFL Draft, but was never able to be the player the franchise expected, especially since he was sacked 249 times in five seasons.

After a season with the Carolina Panthers in 2007, Carr came on as a backup in 2008 and 2009. He did sign with the San Francisco 49ers in 2010 and thought he would be competing for the starting job there, but the team drafting Colin Kaepernick altered that plan and after Carr was released, he landed right back with the Giants.

When asked if he would have been upset with the selection of Nassib in the past, Carr admits that he would have.

"I would have freaked out 10 years ago," Carr said. "Maybe even two years ago as well. I wasn't able to change anything that happened, I wasn't able to not draft him, so in that regard I've grown up. I was a selfish player for a long time. Guys struggle with that for a long time. They think about themselves and what they can get out of certain situations. I'm just trying to help our team and do what's best for me, but I'm not going to be negative about it or backstab anybody or be confrontational."

Carr tested free agency this offseason, but ended up back with the Giants on a one-year deal on March 19.

Tags: David Carr, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Nassib

6 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Carr on Ryan Nassib: “I’m Here to Help Him””

1.  JimStoll says:

Coach Carr is in The House

Carr knows his career is winding down. He also knows he’s made a boatload of money (~ $50,000,000). I suspect he’s looking past football. Carr seems to be pretty bright.

•  JimStoll says:

back-up QBs make great coaches
      they get lots of time to study the game; the starting QB in particular and the coaches

True. Plus unlike many backup QBs Carr knows what it’s like to try to carry a franchise. If he puts in the time maybe he could be a good coach. I still feel like he could have been a good QB with better circumstances.

I like hearing about scuffles. I think the last few years we weren’t feisty enough. As long as it’s nothing Westbrook like it’s good to have some scuffles.

TT sounds convincing it that he can provide something this year. To be honest we really could use him especially at CB. You would think 3 ACLs he can’t play CB when he had below average speed to begin with but with Davis from Carolina playing well last year it’s possible. If TT shows enough to be our 4th CB that makes me feel a ton better about the unit. I don’t think durability is the issue coming off of 3 ACLs tears is the issue, it’s ability. I recall reading that after 2 ACL tears the chances of re-injuring the ACLs remain the same. So the concern with TT is showing the ability to still play CB or even safety not necessarily durability.

The OL is very interesting. It seems like we got 3 locks and 2 open spots with 4 players competing for two spots. The player performance wise the last few years who is the clear favorite out of the 2 to start is Boothe. However, Boothe can bring the skill of being a backup center if he’s a reserve. That would allow space on the roster for both of our young guards in Mosley and Herman. If Boothe is starting then Cordle likely makes the team because as Norm has pointed out you need a backup center that’s not a starter so you don’t interrupt two positions if injury occurs.

As I have come down from not drafting a LB as I thought was needed I see more talent in out LB corps than we have had in a few years. The 3rd years LBs all look like very key contributors and maybe even starters. Herzlich and Paysinger are really making string pushes to start through the offseason so far. While Williams and River are favorites to start I wouldn’t count out Paysinger. I think we cut Boley in part because we wanted to see what Williams can do so I think he’s very likely to start at WLB. But I think Paysinger can give Rivers more of a run than many expect at SLB. Rivers would probably have a role as a nickel LB even if he didn’t start. Herzlich with a leg up will be tough for Conner to catch. Conner I thought was brought in to start but with Herzlich having the leg up and playing well it will be hard for Conner to beat him out. I think a tie or a close race goes to Herzlich. The LB corps has a totally different feel this year which I like a lot.

4.  norm says: