New York Giants Comfortable with Bear Pascoe at Fullback … for Now

May 31st, 2013 at 12:25 PM

When the New York Giants re-signed tight end Bear Pascoe earlier this offseason, they probably didn't anticipate him becoming a major player at the fullback position. Alas, injuries happen, and with Henry Hynoski now down and out following knee surgery, Pascoe is the man being called upon to fill the void. And despite working out veterans Michael Cox and Tony Fiammetta this week, head coach Tom Coughlin feels confident and comfortable with Pascoe leading the way at fullback.

“We’re very confident that Bear, no matter what role we place him in, he does an outstanding job," Coughlin said. "We’re very sorry about Henry’s injury. Henry’s a very optimistic young man. A day after he had the surgery he had three rehabs, so he’s ready to go. He’s trying to get ready to go and Bear has had opportunities to play in that spot, the B-Tight End and the Y-Tight End and he’s always done a nice job. He’s a guy that will learn it and he’ll be very much into what’s happening.”

Pascoe, obviously, is no stranger to the position, having previously filled in for an injured Madison Hedgecock in 2010. It was a situation he embraced then and one he fully intends to embrace now.

“I’ve got that attitude if this is what they ask me to do my whole career, I’ll do it,” Pascoe said in 2010. “I know I can get the job done, and it’s something I’m good at.”

And good at it he was, paving the way for Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs, who finished the season with a combined 2,058 yards rushing. Whether or not he'll see that much success here in 2013 will depend on how long Hynoski is out, how well the recently struggling offensive line performs and whether or not the team does, eventually, sign another fullback.

In the interim, there's no rush and Pascoe has proved he's more than capable of handling this role if need be.

photo credit: Marianne O'Leary via photopin cc

Tags: Bear Pascoe, Football, Henry Hynoski, New York, New York Giants, NFL

11 Responses to “New York Giants Comfortable with Bear Pascoe at Fullback … for Now”

1.  Samardzija says:

Just so we are clear, the job of a team Captain is NOT to go out in the media and voice concern over how a player handles his contract negotiations, its just not.

•  purorock says:

Are you referring to Tuck? Did he actually ‘go out in the media’? Should players just not even give interviews so they don’t get asked questions that make fans question them? I mean, Coughlin commented on player contract negotiations, despite not being involved in the process. Someone’s gotta say something.

•  Dirt says:

Eric S says:
      May 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM
      I simply don’t understand why people keep pushing this attitude about how Tuck should just shut up and worry about himself. He’s a TEAM CAPTAIN! Should Eli just shut up and not comment on it when asked?

—–

When team captain Eli Manning no shows for two years and is only heard whining and seen pouting then he would reasonably be asked to STFU and worry about himself as well.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

New York Giants also comfortable with Herzlich, Connor, Curry, Paysinger, Rivers, Williams, Bosworth at LB……

•  GIANTT says:

No . they are satisfied going into OTAs (whats left of them ) and preseason with this group . If they dont produce to Coughlins standards , THEN Reese will be checking for the vets at minimum pay

There’s not going to be allstars at every position in the NFL. The Giants invest lighter in LBs. Could it hurt? Yes. But I think the talent level is better than it’s been the last few years. While I wish we would have added someone through the draft I like the athletic ability of this group more than any recent group.

So what option do you prefer other than Pascoe playing FB? He’s just a JAG player but Pascoe value is being able to do exactly this. Actually, I think he’s a much better FB than TE. Though Hynopski is clearly better.

Nice to see a rational article about Bear. I think some assume that if you are not a great athlete (compared to your peers….after all, EVERY NFL player is a great athlete) you cannot help the team. That simply isn’t true. Pascoe may not have a lot of speed but he has produced for the Giants in every situation they’ve placed him in. That’s why I think norm’s insistence that he has to beat out a crop of relative unknowns is technically true (because everyone has to beat people out to secure a roster spot) but practically irrelevant. Bear Pascoe did a very good job as a fullback when he played there. He is also a far better blocker at TE than some here claim. Just because we notice the few blocks missed doesn’t mean he doesn’t make most of them. He does, and he holds those blocks very well.

I will be absolutely shocked if he isn’t on the roster, and playing, come Week 1 of the season. It would be great if Hynoscerous is back and at 100% for that Dallas game, but I doubt that and assume that Pascoe will, in fact, be the fullback leading Wilson and Brown into the holes.

I agree he has value but I don’t think much of him as a TE. His versatility is why he’s around and I can except that he will be around. I just rather see Myers and Robinson play TE. Pascoe is a better FB than TE in my view and if Hynopski is out Pascoe is a good option.

Is he equal to Myers as a tight end? Certainly not as a receiver. Is he equal to Myers as a blocker? Absolutely. He’s better. How about Robinson? Well, we all certainly hope that Robinson is superior to Bear in every respect, but we still have to see it. Is Bear Pascoe one of the best tight ends in the NFL? No. But has he MADE PLAYS at important times in some big games. Yes.

I don’t want him playing tight end. I want Myers and Robinson to be our tight ends. But I’m glad we have Bear and confident that he’s a solid #3 guy on the TE depth chart and very solid #2 guy at fullback. That kind of player is VERY important for the kind of team Tom Coughlin wants on the field.

Repost:

Nosh –

Look I don’t agree with F55 on the standpoint that Cruz is that he’s a fool to allow Murphy and Jernigan a shot at proving that they can produce in the slot position. Because it’s not about Cruz as much as it is about the slot position just being easier to replace than a #1 WR. Randle has talent and maybe someday could be a #1 WR but those type just don’t grow on trees. Whereas slot WRs even if not Jernigan are much more readily available. But I’m not saying a JAG slot WR would produce like Cruz I’m saying slot doesn’t need produce like Cruz has for this offense to be successful. Cruz’s production is a bonus but not the foundation of what the offense needs to run effectively. A #1 WR that draws coverage like Nicks or Plax has been around these last 7 years because it has been needed. Cruz is a great player but he just doesn’t have close to the same impact that Nicks has on the entire offense that Nicks has due to the position he plays. Without Nicks drawing double coverage Cruz probably becomes the player we saw the last part of last year. What does Nicks do without Cruz? He produces like the first 2 years of his career.

My point is that there’s at least a decent chance that given some time to show it, other receivers in camp can give the coaches and Reese an inkling that with them playing, and some twists in the intent of the offense in certain situations, something like 85-90% of Cruz’s production can be replaced quite cheaply. There’s no way to replace his uncanny big play ability, and that has tremendous value. But the overall production can be largely replaced both because the slot receiver isn’t as critical if you have other ways of getting 8-12 yards and because there are players who might well be able to get you those completions even if they cannot do the salsa as well.

If the team sees they have good alternatives they probably won’t take their offer off the table but the odds that they will show ANY flexibility goes way down. And I think it WOULD cost Cruz some guaranteed dollars. I think Cruz is making a huge mistake if he doesn’t sign before mandatory team activities begin. His value could go down pretty quickly if two of the receivers in camp show they can handle the slot duties well, and I think there are two who just might be capable of doing exactly that.