New York Giants Finalize Deal with WR Ramses Barden: One-Year, $715K

May 26th, 2013 at 2:48 PM
By Doug Rush

On Thursday, the New York Giants brought back wide receiver Ramses Barden to bolster their depth at the position. And on Sunday, the team announced the finalizing of Barden's deal, which is a one-year agreement for $715,000 — the veteran minimum.

Earlier in the offseason, Barden felt that it was best for him to leave the Giants after four seasons with the team, but his market never developed and after two months of searching for a new home, he ended coming back to New Jersey for another tour.

“I’m happy to be back,” Barden said. “This is where I wanted to be and now I’m here. I was out there listening to the calls, getting back into the rhythm of the cadence, enjoying the camaraderie and absorbing everything. I remember everything; I’ve had four years to soak it all up. I’m happy to be back on the field. I feel great. I expect the best.”

Barden was originally a third-round draft pick back in 2009 for the Giants out of Cal Poly and with his large frame, fans felt that Barden would develop into a red-zone threat similar to Plaxico Burress, but Barden didn't live up to those expectations.

In Week 3 against the Carolina Panthers, Barden showed his potential when he started in place of the injured Hakeem Nicks by hauling in nine catches for 138 yards. In Barden's four year career, he has 29 catches for 394 yards with no touchdowns.

On the depth chart, Barden will be competing with Rueben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan and Louis Murphy for playing time in 2013 behind Nicks and Victor Cruz, who are both currently sitting out of the Giants OTA's right now.

Tags: Football, Louis Murphy, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ramses Barden, Rueben Randle

6 Responses to “New York Giants Finalize Deal with WR Ramses Barden: One-Year, $715K”

1.  Dan Peterson says:

Young Fails.

2.  GIANTT says:

So he goes out and finds out there aint no green grass on the other side for him .
    Hes lucky he showed in one game at least that he could get things done b/c thats probably the ONLY reason the Giants brought him back .

Same rate as Cruz just about … $100,000 a catch.

4.  James Stoll says:

A solid 5th receiver

5.  jfunk says:

This is a courtesy contract for Barden. Barring injury or unexpected showing by him in camp, he won’t make the team.

Also, I share norm’s concern at LB. While I completely agree with the team and JR’s general approach to the position (currently one of the least valuable) I think it’s slightly alarming that we can’t even find mediocre competition for the spots.

We’ll be 100% fine IF the majority of our question marks prove quality starters. However, we have NOBODY that can be considered a lock tight moderate level starter. Our best prospects are injury risks. The rest are hopefuls.

We could be great if two or three question marks show up. We could be a disaster if none do.

It’s one of the best places on the roster to take gambles, but it would still be nice to at least have one or two known quantities available.

6.  CT GIANT says:

This seems to me {signing Barden} now, as strange and with both Nicks & Cruz not in OTA’s though still not mandatory, with Randle, Murphy, JJ, and Barden, and a cap number around 3+M, I wonder how Cruz, Pough, Nassib, all get signed?
    I’m starting to wonder what Cruz wants and how long Reese is going let this issue continue to be front line headlines, with mandatory OTA’s coming up, Nicks a no show, and Eli being asked some dumb @ss questions, and not having the two starting
    WR’s to get work in together?
    Personally think, this Cruz affair might start to turn ugly, now with Coughlin being asked “where is Nicks”? Something is going on behind the close doors, and Coughlin must be steaming, and if things continue down this road, I expect Mara to push for a resolution sooner then later.
    CT GIANT