May 26th, 2013 at 10:55 AM

'Brian Urlacher' photo (c) 2011, Mike Morbeck Photography - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ With the recent announcement that he will retire from professional football, long-time Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher opened up a pretty good debate: is he or is he not a Hall of Famer? Many believe so, but one person who is not quite convinced of that is former New York Giants General Manager Ernie Accorsi.

“I think he’s a borderline Hall of Famer,” Accorsi said on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Radio. “I don’t know that he’s a definite Hall of Famer. I think there is a host of them, like Willie Lanier, that were dominant players. He was good, but I wouldn’t put him in that level.”

Looking at Urlacher's resume of consistency, it's hard to say he doesn't belong in Canton. But then again, if players like Michael Strahan are snubbed, anything is possible. And for Accorsi, he just doesn't believe Urlacher is a lock.

“I definitely wouldn’t [say he's a sure thing],” Accorsi said. “That’s my opinion. I don’t think he’s a guarantee. I mean, he may get in because he got a lot of publicity and he was a hard player. But his span that he covered was really restricted. Now a lot of those middle linebackers were in those days. They didn’t have three or four wide receivers so they stayed on the field for three downs. They might be off today. But, no, I certainly don’t have him in [Dick] Butkus or Ray Lewis [category]. And I don’t think he should be in there, really with [Joe] Schmidt and [Ray] Nitschke and those guys, either.”

What say you, fans? Is Brian Urlacher a Hall of Famer?

Tags: Brian Urlacher, Chicago, Chicago Bears, Ernie Accorsi, Football, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL

5 Responses to “Former New York Giants GM Ernie Accorsi Doesn’t Feel Brian Urlacher is a Hall of Famer”

Repost:

demo3356 says:
    May 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    A) I think the cries about our talent at CB are overblown. I think we wil be fine. Webster wil bounce back, Prince is becoming a STUD and Hosley will improve in year 2. Ross while no longer a starting caliber CB is a very solid #3 or #4 guy and we always do a good job of developing depth guys out of UDFA’s like Kevin Dockery and Bruce Johnson.
    B) We rarely have more than 3 CB’s on the field. We usually go to a 3 safety look in the nickel and only bring on a 3rd CB when we go dime. Rolle, Brown, Hill, Webster, Prince and Hosley is more than Ok..
    C) Last years SB featured 2 teams who’s biggest defensive weakness was there CB’s. Didnt seem to hurt them. The Patriots biggest weakness has been CB since they traded Samuel in 2007 yet they get to the AFC title game pretty much every year it seems. The Giants won the Super bowl 16 months ago with aaron Ross and Corey Webster as starting CB’s and Prince in the nickel.
    D) Corey Webster, Jayron Hosley, Stevie Brown, Ryan Mundy, Antrel Rolle, Will Hill, Prince Amukamara, Tyler Sash, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Cooper Taylor – Thats a lot of talent in the defensive backfield. PF will find a way to make it work

giantsou812 says:
    May 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    well what happened last year?
    Nobody bounces back from old age. And what do you think when hosley or prince gets hurt?
    You said ross could cover a 3rd or 4th wr, who has the 1st and 2nd? (nobody)

I agree with Demo that I look for Webster to bounce back. But if he doesn’t our talent and depth at CB is lacking. I think Ross could fill in at slot CB if need be but if he has to start we are in trouble. Ross also has a long injury history and is at the stage when injuries tend to happen. Prince I feel great about but he might be the most indispensable player on the team outside of Eli because he has to play very well and stay healthy. Hosley should be fine at slot CB after a year of experience but I question can he step up and start if needed. We don’t appear to have a young player who’s not among out top 3 CB that can step on and contribute like Prince, Witherspoon and Coe did the past few years. We are very dependent on health and Webster bouncing back.

2.  Samardzija says:

I agree with him. What will get Urlacher in is his PR rep. He has a lot of glorified Pro Bowls and accolades given to him by the same people voting for the HOF. If Urlacher was playing his entire Career in Jaxonville I doubt he would get in to be honest. But playing on an overall great defense at storied position within a very well known, high market franchise its pretty much a lock he gets in..

3.  norm says:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record… I could not disagree more with the premise of Jen’s article in the previous thread.

Competition at linebacker is wide open? Sorry; not buying that one. A total of eight camp bodies competing for employment at a position in which there were seven jobs on this team last year hardly qualifies as wide open in my book.

If the Giants go with that same number this year, then that would make a camp invite at linebacker more or less tantamount to a guarantee of a roster spot. Should the Giants choose to go with only six LBs this year, that would still ensure that 3/4 of the bodies coming to camp will make the team. The only way this thing starts to in any way resemble a typical camp competition would be if Kiwi is counted at one of the six. Eight candidates fighting for five jobs does not sound quite so generous a “jobs program” on the part of the Giants.

Actually, a far bigger issue here IMO is not competition but attrition. One of the eight LBs (Williams) is still recovering from an injured PCL; two others (Rivers, Connor) are not exactly models of durability. One wonders if there will be enough healthy bodies to field a full complement of linebackers through the entirety of camp + four preseason games.

I know this is not the first time I’ve raised this point. I think it cause for concern and, frankly, I’m surprised to have not seen those concerns echoed by anyone else here. Given the robust competition that has been set up along the O-line and at DT, this seems pretty incongruous – especially for an old school coach like Coughlin who constantly preaches that jobs must be earned, not given.

•  Samardzija says:

I think shes talking more about the competition for starting spots as a linebacker. Not the competition to get on the team to play on Specials. Sure most of our linebackers will make the team, but who will actually get to play and contribute as a LINEBACKER, thats fairly open