Jason Sehorn Says New York Giants Should Leave Cooper Taylor at Safety

May 19th, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Initially, New York Giants rookie safety Cooper Taylor said he would like to model his career after Steve Atwater. However, there's another former player that has influenced Taylor's young career, and he goes by the name of Jason Sehorn.

“I’m definitely kind of an enigma for the position, not a whole lot of guys like me," Taylor recently said, noting that Sehorn was similar. “Hopefully that plays to my advantage."

The comparison, and the mere suggestion that he'd like to be as successful as Sehorn was before injuries slowed his career, registered with the retired defensive back.

“It’s very flattering," said Sehorn. “You grow up watching people and you kind of become a fan of them. I’m big, he’s big, you start to see similarities. I think every athlete looks to somebody else as a similarity in body type to say ‘OK, there’s a match for me, I can do this.' "

And the notion of moving Cooper to a different position because of his size? Nonsense, says Sehorn, who suggests Big Blue leave the youngster right where he is.

“Size is the box they place you in in the beginning, and it’s up to you to convince them it’s inappropriate or it’s wrong," Sehorn said. “Leave him at safety. Let him break the mold. I know when I got to the Giants that first year they put me at safety and I was kind of miserable because I didn’t really want to play safety. I felt I was athletic enough to play corner."

If Taylor turns out to be anything like Sehorn or Atwater, the Giants got themselves a steal.

Tags: Cooper Taylor, Football, Jason Sehorn, New York, New York Giants, NFL

7 Responses to “Jason Sehorn Says New York Giants Should Leave Cooper Taylor at Safety”

1.  rlhjr says:

Taylor should be allowed to play the third safety position. That is basically another linebacker with coverage ability. He seems to be perfect for it.

2.  demo3356 says:

Krow has been all over and out in front of this for a while now
    The league really needs to look into their rapmant roid issues

3.  Samardzija says:

The Seahawks need to hire a better medical adviser. You really have to be borderline retarded to get busted for PEDs.

•  Sonny Mukhopadhyay says:

Drug tests are IQ tests, they should double the penalties just for stupidity….

FWIW, I’ve said it before, if you want teams to not sign roid guys, or to crack down on roid use, simple solution.

While the player suspended forfeits his paycheck, the team does not get out of its obligation of spending that paycheck, and that the salary that was entitled to that player still must be collected and now given to the league (and then distributed to the other teams of the NFL).

As long as teams get to not pay (financially) for players testing positive, the risk to reward will always favor signing the juicehead.

4.  GmenMania says:

UUT

5.  CT GIANT says:

Until the NFL & a CBA approved “random drug testing” program lets the medical staff, within each team, just literally pick a few players, any week, any time, with the
    object to both discover and protect a player from continuous use of banned substances, this current policy of players almost knowing there going to test, in advance in May, is a joke.
    As a former Addictions Therapist, we did exactly that, test anyone, anytime, and sometimes twice in a two week period to make sure they didn’t “beat one”, the results were always a “wake up call” to the staff and Therapist, as some “looked and passed for months, then bang, up comes a “coke” urine!
    This isn’t just about “drug enhancements’ it’s about drug use period, and you can help someone who may just started and mandate a program of treatment before you have a full blown addiction, and a lost player, person and talent.

If it’s done right, it’s win win situation, just my 2cents.
    CT GIANT