May 17th, 2013 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

'Charles Woodson' photo (c) 2010, Mike Morbeck Photography - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Charles Woodson's name first popped up for the New York Giants back in February, but nothing came of it. Three months later, Woodson is still a free agent and as was reported on Thursday, the Giants officially got back into the mix.

The Giants. though, aren't the only team that are interested for the 36-year-old cornerback/safety. Ohm Youngmusik of ESPN New York reports Woodson will visit the team that drafted him back in the 1998 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders. Woodson also visited the Denver Broncos this past week and has received an offer to return to the AFC West.

Woodson's agent Carl Poston has said the Giants "have just put their toes in the water again" for Woodson, but the Giants have yet to schedule a visit or make any sort of offer.

If the Giants do make a strong pursuit for Woodson, it would make sense given that he could challenge Stevie Brown for his starting spot and maybe even play some cornerback, similar to what Sam Madison did back in 2007.

One of the Giants' starting safeties for four years, Kenny Phillips, left to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles early on in free agency, so he could replace Phillips spot in Giants defensive coordinator's Perry Fewell's three-safety look if signed.

Aside from adding stability to the defensive backfield, a major feature that Woodson would bring to the Giants is veteran leadership, especially given the fact that Phillips, Ahmad Bradshaw, Chase Blackburn, Michael Boley, Chris Canty and Osi Umenyiora are all gone.

Woodson was released from the Green Bay Packers back in February after spending seven years with the team.

Tags: Charles Woodson, Denver, Denver Broncos, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Oakland, Oakland Raiders

14 Responses to “Charles Woodson Visiting Raiders, Has Offer from Broncos; New York Giants Remain “Interested””

1.  andiamo708 says:

I got a great idea….Let’s sign Mundy and Woodson and let KP walk to the Eagles.
    ^
    said no one ever.

2.  giankees says:

Phillips ws hurt and he didn’t accept our offer. I know the offer was low but he has a bad knee that won’t let him play at a high level long enough for thecontract he was looking for from the giants He wasn’t signing here for 1 yr he was upset with the giants and the way they handled him. Also it seems that most of the veterans are upset with the offers from there teams and aren’t getting a cushy home town deal that they want whennin factvthey are getting better offers at home then they were from free agency. Urlacher offered 2 mill thought it was a slap in the face and hasn’t gotten an offer yet and probably won’t get 2 mill it will be closer to league min. Reese doesn’t sign guys off a knee injury like smith takes too long to heal. A full year of play before an an injury like an acl is good again except if your adrian peterson. Even tt contract had a safety net in it for reese

3.  norm says:

Personally, I’d be far more excited if we were to learn that it was Mike Woodson who was visiting the Raiders and that Charles Woodson had been named temporary head coach of the Knicks for Game Six in Indiana.

4.  BillyS says:

I think I’ll trust the front office/doctors when it comes to the medical stuff. Not everyone heals the same so maybe they just didn’t feel comfortable with Phillips — even on a low $$ contract. Plus he didn’t exactly like the team much with the way he was handled. He seems to have a grudge; as if the Giants cost him tons of money. So the fact that they didn’t feel confident giving him even a little money is good enough for me. There’s a reason that NO OTHER TEAM offered him much either. They seemed to be right about Steve Smith so I’ll trust their judgement.

And as I said last night, if Charles Woodson would sign here for the vet min then I’d be all for it. I like him more than Mundy, that’s for sure. I’m not expecting a Pro-Bowl version of Woodson, but I still believe he has enough left in the tank to be alright.

5.  norm says:

The Giants have actually enjoyed some recent success with bringing in players like Woodson in the secondary.

It could easily be argued that Woodson could serve in a “player-coach” role similar to that once played here by Sam Madison and Deion Grant.

Both of those players were well past their prime by the time they arrived in NY; both signings were greeted with a loud, collective “meh” from the fanbase at the time they were announced; and both players’ on field contributions and intangibles contributed significantly to two Super Bowl runs.

I’ll admit it: I was not all that thrilled when the Giants brought in Madison and Grant. Nor would I be dancing the hora should they sign Woodson. But I would not hate it either, especially at a number in the neighborhood of the vet minimum. I’d even go so far as to say that he stands a much better chance of making a positive contribution to this team than the much younger, more hyped Aaron Curry.

My issue with Woodson isn’t that he possibly couldn’t help. My issue is that we need to see what guys like Brown and Hill can do. What’s the point of paying Brown 2 mil if we are bringing in Woodson? Brown is a free agent after this year and we need to know if he’s worth a long term investment. We also have Hill who has an even greater upside and at least should play as a 3rd safety this year. Lastly, we drafted this Cooper kid who looks like he has real talent. He shouldn’t be buried off the bat at 5th safety.

In addition, we have Rolle, Webster, Ross and maybe TT as veteran leaders. Not that Woodson possibly couldn’t help but his presence is not a needed one in my view. We have also added vets in Jenkins, Patterson and Conner this offseason. A vet leader like Urlacker actual makes more sense that Woodson in my view.

•  BillyS says:

TT is no lock to make the team, but I agree about Brown and Hill. My point is that you can never have too much depth and the experience Woodson brings is huge. It would be like a Sam Madison/Dion Grant kind of depth.

•  rlhjr says:

GOAT56
      To your post about early round offensive linemen:

LT Jumbo Elliott / 2nd / 36th pick
      LG William Roberts / 1st / 27th pick
      C Bart Oates USFL Philadelphia Initially a third round NFL selection???
      RG Eric Moore / 1st / 10th pick
      RT Doug Riesenberg / 6th / 168th pick

This is the line that won in 90. Notice the round select and the overall selection. Yes, you build winning teams with early round talent on your offensive line. And yes shrewd late round picks also help. But by far,
      you make your money in rounds 1,2 and three with O-linemen.
      That was an excellent run/pass blocking line.

7.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I think Woodson would bring a lot to this team. Obviously, from a leadership standpoint…but also in his role as a slot type CB and edge rusher. I believe that now healthy, THAT would be his role…and not at safety. In terms of CB’s we have Prince, Webster, Ross and Thomas. Thomas is very much a liability because A. he has to prove he can make it through camp and B. he has to prove that he can still handle duties at CB after 3 ACL injuries. If Woodson comes and doesn’t make it, fine. But I would love to bring him in. Speaking of safeties, I think that this is likely Rolle’s last year with the team. Really interested to see how Cooper looks – but with Rolle getting up there in age and the cap hit that he’s due, I could see the team continuing their revamping mode and rolling with Hill, Taylor and possibly Brown, depending on his performance this season.

Not many DBs are effective at 36.

•  rlhjr says:

Darryl Green possibly the only one I can think of. But Simms used to routinely torch him. Green can most likely still run a 4.5 40.

9.  giankees says:

Woodson is a playmaker period. He would be a great addition.and would helobin a 3 safety ser and nickel packages. He still covers the slot and we need depth in the secondary. A lot of depth. We are not as dependent on lb so I feel good about the athletes we have there and we seem to have sone real depth at dt. Def end is is our strongest position. Db we are 1 inj to prince from being totally screwed. So if its woodson or a Db I’m in, woodson gives you a lot of options he can still play the outside a little he can cover the slot and he can play safety also he is a ball hawk that can edge rush too. Last yr we had rolle playing db so I don’t see how a league min will hurt u here. Most likely we will have 2 lbs in a bunch of diff looks and or 1 lb blitzing like moore kiwi and we need someone with ball skills like a woodson who could capitalize with his smarts.

10.  rlhjr says:

I think Woodson would be a nice fit. Character, intelligent and some ability left.
    Excellent example for youngsters to follow in terms of becoming a professional football player. He understands you have to work at it. Being around young players could motivate him to a really good season or two.

Guys like Woodson know the value of film study and knowing who you are matched up against. I do feel however he will go to the highest bidder.
    And that will not be Jerry Reese and the Giants.