New York Giants Back in Mix for Veteran Charles Woodson

May 16th, 2013 at 11:30 AM

'Charles Woodson' photo (c) 2010, Mike Morbeck Photography - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Back in early March, the New York Giants were sniffing around defensive back Charles Woodson. At one point, they even reached out to his agent, but the interest eventually died down and then seemed to completely fade out. That changed on Thursday however, and Big Blue has reportedly re-entered the chase for the veteran.

"The Giants have just put their toe in the water again for Charles Woodson," Carl Poston, Woodson's agent, told ESPN.

The phrase "toe in the water" is certainly open to interpretation, and there remains a chance that Poston is just trying to drum up some additional interest in his client. That said, smoke usually equals fire, and this isn't the first time the Giants have been tied to Woodson.

In addition to the Giants, Woodson had also received some interest from the Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins and New York Jets, although it remains unclear if they've also re-entered this chase.

With so much uncertainty in the defensive backfield, signing a veteran like Woodson for the minimum would be an ideal scenario for the Giants. Even at 36 years of age, Woodson offers a lot of versatility, experience and leadership. He could play safety if the team needed him to, or he could play a Sam Madison-like role and fill in at cornerback. And, as we've said on Giants 101 previously, it would make sense for both sides if the price is right.

Update: Ed Werder reports the Denver Broncos are also heavily in the mix and that the Giants' renewed interest has slowed their progress in talks with Woodson.

Update x2: In addition to the Giants and Broncos, Woodson is also receiving interest from the Carolina Panthers, Oakland Raiders and a mystery team.

Tags: Charles Woodson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

21 Responses to “New York Giants Back in Mix for Veteran Charles Woodson”

Repost:

I hope that’s all it is. I would absolutely hate his signing. I want to see what Brown can do and I’m especially excited about seeing what Hill and Taylor can do. We have our top 4 safeties already IMO.

Hopefully, this was prior to the draft and longer applies.

2.  The Original G Man says:

I find their interest very odd. Where would he play? We already have Rolle, Brown, Hill, and Taylor.

I know this sounds crazy, but is it possible that they’ve been so impressed by Taylor, they’re willing to cut Rolle (freeing up a ton of cap space)?

•  The Original G Man says:

Unless there’s an injury we don’t know about to one of the safeties, I have no idea what the plan would be for him.

•  giankees says:

That would be crazy but i cant see that happening . We need to make space for cruz contract but i think reese has the contract in his budget. And this is rolles last yr so we will see. Plus woodson still is one of the most talented safeties in the league. Feel like he was expecting way more money was available out there and he is realizing that teams just arent paying this year with the cap the way it is. Still feel like there is no way he is letting rolle go this yr and it would make sense for him to keep as much continuity as possible and rolle is our leader

3.  JimStoll says:

“We look at everyone”

Jerry Reese

Woodson would still potentially make sense because they aren’t sure who will play the role that Kenny Phillips did and Woodson probably could.

Rolle is so good coming up the field that they’d probably prefer he stay away from the “center fielder” role (and anyway, they may need him to play corner at times). Hill is still young and has too much to learn to be depended upon as the last line of defense. Forget Taylor. He’s not even a thought in Fewell’s head as the deep safety. And I don’t think they want to bet on Brown as that guy given how often he purportedly missed his assignments last season despite his statistical success.

If they get Woodson back there in a read-and-react defense he can make up for loss of speed, at least in part, through savvy. He’d hardly be a true replacement for a healthy Kenny Phillips, but he may be better than their current options.

I think Brown and Hill would be good in the role Rolle has been playing. Rolle is good at it but I would be fine with either Brown or Hill in that role. I much much prefer Rolle in center field than Woodson. It appeared father time had caught up to him last year. Woodson can still be a decent player but I feel like we have decent players with more upside. I wouldn’t like the move at all. A signing like Trufant would make more sense and I’m not even crazy about going that route either. You have to let young guy progress at some point. This is what our safties need not someone like Woodson.

5.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Despite what many seem to think on here, I believe that they’re bringing him in for a look as a CB. Woodson has always done fairly well playing the slot – both in coverage and his blitzing off the edge. I personally would love this move. I still think we need to add several more CB’s before camp. At the end of the day though, I think someone ponies up a little bit more money than Reese’s “one year, vet min” deal that he is surely willing to throw Woodson’s way. Look for him to land in Oakland, Denver or potentially a team like San Diego.

Woodson is not the answer at CB anymore. Rolle is just as much of an answer is Woodson right now. He can help at safety, he’s just not for us in my view. Denver is a good fit.

As to Jernigan, I’m not waving the flag for him, but I just don’t understand how some of you can conclude he’s a bum just because he hasn’t played much. Samard doesn’t like Cruz as an example of a player who only got a chance because of circumstances? Okay, how about Martellus Bennett? Completely buried in Dallas behind a very good player but did just fine when allowed out from under the shadow of the starter and a team that didn’t feel they needed him. Hell, Steve Young couldn’t “force” his way onto the field until the 49ers finally traded away Joe Montana. Aaron Rodgers couldn’t “force” his way onto the field until the departure of Brett Favre.

Sometimes guys who haven’t seen a lot of snaps are simply behind a player who is viewed as a better option by the coaches. No one thinks Jernigan could be an outside receiver, so we’ll never know what he’s capable of except in the absence of Victor Cruz, a situation we hope and expect will not occur.

I’m done with this “argument”. Frankly, it looks like Cruz will be in camp and no one will know any more about Jernigan in September than they do now. And that’s a good thing.

•  Samardzija says:

My beliefs on this guy are based on two things, one he wasnt very good in college, nothing he did seemed like it would translate to the next level and add that with his limited physical ability I thought he would amount too anything and two I think TC is an excellent coach and if he thought Jernigan would be able to bring something to this team, he would have seen the field. I mean he got a TON of oppurtunities on specials before he straight up whiped his hands with him.

Jernigan has three career receptions. Three. Every single one of the players you mentioned showed at least glimpses of being great.

•  Samardzija says:

Lets not act like Jernigan has had all this HOF talent ahead of him stealing snaps.

Basically, that’s what you have always thought of him and haven’t changed. I saw him play in college and think he has open field skills that translate well into the slot WR. He’s a slot only player and a better player is in front of him. Whether Jernigan is very good or a bum he’s not playing the slot ahead of Cruz. Cruz isn’t a great outside WR so it would make sense to move Cruz to get Jernigan on the field.

Jernigan is good with the ball in his hands but unfortunately he hasn’t been able to catch punts. And that’s clearly on him because he should be our PR. Hopefully, he can get over those issues this year or he might only see the field as a KR if that.

Cruz isn’t a great outside WR so it wouldn’t make sense to move Cruz to get Jernigan on the field.

•  jfunk says:

Precisely.

Failing to displace arguably the best slot receiver in the NFL should not be an indictable offense.

•  Samardzija says:

LoL Ramses Barden was taking snaps and catching passes from the slot last year. Ramses friggin Barden

7.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Also, pertaining to the previous article on the OL; if Pugh does wind up starting the season at LG, what does that do to the bet with Kujo and Demo? I think training camp will be interesting, as I do believe that Pugh will be used as a motivational tool for Brewer. This is Brewer’s last chance to really prove himself; I believe that Pugh will start SOMEWHERE along the line from day one. I believe that where he starts is in the hands of Brewer.

•  jfunk says:

I think it’s only in the hands of Brewer in so far as he’s capable of straight up beating Pugh for the job.

I believe the Giants will put the best possible player at RT, regardless of who would make the better guard.

If Brewer beats Pugh at RT, then Pugh would fall into competition with Boothe at guard. If Pugh beats Brewer at RT, then the LG job is likely Boothe’s and Brewer becomes the 3rd tackle.

8.  giantsou812 says:

woodson would be a good pickup,
    plays both corner and safety, he is healthy.