New York Giants Unsure If David Wilson Will Handle Kick-Off Return Duties

May 11th, 2013 at 12:55 PM
By Doug Rush

In 2013, New York Giants rookie running back David Wilson caught the eye and attention of everyone in the league with his electric speed that lead to great kick-off returns.

'David Wilson returning a kickoff' photo (c) 2010, Gary Cope - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

In Week 14 against the New Orleans Saints at MetLife Stadium, Wilson absolutely torched the New Orleans special teams unit. After the Saints had taken a 7-0 lead in the first quarter, Wilson squashed their momentum by taking the following kick-off 97 yards to the house and tying the game at 7-7.

A lot of the questions people were having about drafting Wilson seemed to evaporate with excitement, watching what the first-round draft pick could do with some space in the open field. Against New Orleans, he only had four kick off returns, but had 227 total yards with a touchdown, averaging out to 56.8 yards per return.

Wilson also had a great game running the ball as well, carrying the ball 13 times for 100 yards with two touchdowns. This could be viewed as the game that put Ahmad Bradshaw on notice with the team, as he was released from the organization in early February.

Wilson's final kick-off return numbers in 2012 were 57 returns for 1533 yards with one touchdown, averaging out to 26.9 yards per return.

With Wilson now slated to be the starting running back in 2013, the Giants aren't sure if they want their starter on kick-off duties. Giants special teams coordinator Tom Quinn told the media at the Giants rookie camp on Saturday that he thinks there may be an open competition for the job.

"It's not my decision," Quinn said. "He'd like to do both, but it all depends on his role in a game."

Quinn also said he wouldn't have the final decision on whether or not Wilson would be handling the kick-off duties in 2013 and depended on what kind of role he would have in the Giants offense. Wilson has said in the past that he would like to do both the running back and kick-off return roles.

Two names you could see get involved for the competition are cornerback Aaron Ross and wide receiver Rueben Randle, as they will likely be in the mix for the punt return duties as well. Long time return specialist Domenik Hixon left the Giants to sign with the Carolina Panthers in free agency.

Art Stapleton from the Bergen Record tweeted that you might see Jerrel Jernigan and Jayron Hosley in the mix as well. Jernigan does have some experience working in the Giants special teams as a kick returner in 2011.

Tags: Aaron Ross, David Wilson, Football, Jayron Hosley, Jerrel Jernigan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rueben Randle, Tom Quinn

19 Responses to “New York Giants Unsure If David Wilson Will Handle Kick-Off Return Duties”

1.  giankees says:

Not too sure I want holsey and randle back there in the return game even though they would be really good at it. They are too valuanle in our scheme . I don’t mind jernigan if he doesnt drop the ball. Ross is solid but he isn’t breaking away on anybody soon. I think there may ne someone added b4 the aeason. I don’t think they would have been kicking the tires on cribbs if they were comfortable in the return game. Murphy may be the type of guy that could make a difference in the return game. I kind of got used to wilson as a threat last year. He looked like he had potential to take one back every kickoff

2.  LUZZ says:

I would like to see Wilson keep this duty. He’s exceptional at it, and since he’s not going to be a 25 carry RB, this isn’t too much for him to handle. Plus, he loves doing it.

•  Dirt says:

Oh wait, LUZZ already said that – took the words out of my mouth!

3.  Samardzija says:

I thought it was Jernigans time to shine?

4.  Dirt says:

How about a H/T or ZJ for Dan and company for pumping out the content here in mid-May

5.  Joseph Bulger says:

I’d like to see Wilson keep it, with JJ up short… enjoyed seeing NO decide to kick those short pop-ups to JJ in order to keep it away from Wilson, only to get torched anyway.

We can all want Wilson to keep returning kicks, but he’s unlikely to do so. Very few teams allow a major offensive weapon to also return kicks. The Giants are pretty conservative. I don’t see them allowing him to continue in that role.

I should add that I don’t agree with that thinking. I believe the rate of injury on kickoffs is now roughly the same as on plays from scrimmage. But then again, I think the Giants should generally go for first downs on 4th-and-short whenever they need less than 2 yards and are inside the opponent’s 45-yard line. So what I think and what the Giants think and do has absolutely no correlation.

•  GmenMania says:

There are definitely teams that put major players on kickoffs. Percy Harvin for the Vikings (and now Seahawks), Patrick Peterson for the Cardinals, the Eagles sometimes put DeSean Jackson back there. So there are some examples of teams doing it. It all depends on how much the player is worth to the team on kickoff returns.

7.  GIANTT says:

I really cant see the Giants putting their upcoming major potential offensive threat on the field on STs as a kick returner .How many Bozos are going to head hunt to make a name for themselves if hes out there ?

8.  Eric S says:

I can see Wilson back there situationally. So if we need a spark he’ll be back there. Otherwise it’ll be someone else.

Probably the most likely scenario unless someone else proves almost as explosive. Jernigan looked very good as a return man late in the season.

9.  giankees says:

I don’t think they will put him back there at all. Running game too important to take a chance at a sehorn injury on a kickoff

10.  Chad Eldred says: