New York Giants Announce Temporary Jersey Numbers for Rookies

May 7th, 2013 at 12:00 PM

With rookie mini-camp beginning on Friday, the New York Giants have begun assigning temporary jersey numbers to those who will participate. The first crop of players to receive their new numbers was the 2013 draft class, lead by offensive lineman Justin Pugh.

'33-year-old Marine veteran invited to NY Giants rookie camp.' photo (c) 2010, MarineCorps NewYork - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Pugh has been given Osi Umenyiora's old jersey number, while Nassib has been assigned Lawrence Tynes'. However, like Hakeem Nicks once wearing #18 and Victor Cruz once wearing #3, these jersey numbers are subject (and almost guaranteed) to change.

Meanwhile, a few deals could potentially go down in exchange for some jersey numbers. As it stands, Hankins has been assigned the same number as Matt McCants, Moore the same number as Stephen Goodin and Herman the same number as Markus Kuhn.

Tags: Cooper Taylor, Damontre Moore, David Wilson, Eric Herman, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Johnathan Hankins, Justin Pugh, Michael Cox, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Ryan Nassib, Victor Cruz

16 Responses to “New York Giants Announce Temporary Jersey Numbers for Rookies”

Sounds like the “temporary” could be for McCants, Goodin and Kuhn rather than the other way around!

Those guys should probably start sweating immediately.

2.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Cannot see many of these numbers sticking, especially Moore, who is probably the most purchasable jersey of our draftees – so, I would advise the masses against running out to your local Modell’s just yet.

I will again say that I think bringing in Curry could potentially turn into a VERY good signing. Again, he definitely was over drafted by Seattle and was forced into action too early. He was also playing out of scheme in Oakland. The guy is your prototypical 4-3 OLB – thus, our system could be the perfect fit for him. AND – coming here, the expectations for him would be low; he could fly under the radar, learn the system and contribute…be it on the field as an LB or as a ST player. Very low risk, high reward type signing. If his knees check out, I figure Reese pulls the trigger on this.

CB is the most concerning position for me, as it seems to be the consensus around here and the rest of the web. I do like the addition of Ross and think that he’s going to play better as a #4 CB (which is what he is be asked to be) than any other #4 in the league; the guy can play inside and outside and is good against the run. T2 is a wild card. I still think he will play more of a S/CB hybrid role. One name I would look at is Marcus Trufant. The guy is a proven vet…and when healthy (has had back problems) could be a VERY solid bandaid type of player this year.

•  Dan Peterson says:

I’m with you on Curry – I’d like to see a two year deal so we’re not faced with another Bennett type situation where he has a good season and then wants a ton of cash after one year.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Can’t hurt. He either comes to camp, competes, shows he’s got the goods and makes the team…or he doesn’t. Agree; a multi-year deal would be best in my eyes, especially if the guaranteed money is low/non-existent. Could probably make it a very incentive laced deal as well.

•  Dan Peterson says:

Incentives would be a great idea, probably needed to entice the player into signing a multi-year deal.

I like the older vets signing for one season at a time, but Curry is still young.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Curry sucks.

How bout getting a LB’er that’s actually good?

3.  norm says:

If Aaron Curry had not once been the fourth player selected overall in an NFL draft would anyone here have even the slightest bit of interest in him?

I readily admit that I haven’t seen a ton of Curry’s games in the NFL. So it’s quite possible that I missed all of the good ones. Because in those that I have seen, I watched a very bad football player. Consistently out of position, takes terrible angles, and a sloppy tackler. His combine measurables may have been off the charts but his tenure in the NFL suggest that he has the football IQ of a turnip.

I also seem to recall Curry struggling to cover Ballard when the Hawks played the Giants in 2011 (the Cruz tip/pick-6 game) If he can’t hang with one of the slowest, most unathletic TEs in the history of the league, what would the likes of Jason Witten do to him?

I think the comparisons to Rivers are misguided. Both are LBs selected in the top 10 who have failed to justify their lofty draft status. But the similarities end there. Rivers has at least shown he can play at a pretty high level whenever he is able to get on to the field. Problem is those instances are all too rare. Curry’s problem is that he is on the field too much – and that bad things tend to happen as a result.

You could very well be 100% right. I just don’t see the harm if he’s healthy in signing him and finding out. He’s just a higher profile version of what we do with a lot of players. Stevie Brown and Hagan were signed in much the same way. I recall Hagan’s problem before he got here was catching the ball. Sometimes change of scenery helps. Or he could just end up cut like the DT Thomas was last year. No risk either way because unlike Rivers he requires no draft pick in return.

•  norm says:

The “harm” is that he could take up a precious roster spot that might otherwise be used on a more productive player.

The Giants must have seen something in Brown because he was a complete no-name prior to his arrival in NY. He had zero in the way of pedigree: a former 7th round pick cut by the Raiders. But he must have flashed enough on film to justify the team’s interest in him.

I’m actually far more intrigued by those kind of no pedigree signings than I am by someone like Curry who seems to have nothing but pedigree to recommend him. I’m no scout but I still have a hard time believing that the Giants watched the same games I did and thought “This guy has all the makings of a fine football player if only he gets in the right situation.” The player I watched was flat out awful who would probably be a downgrade from most of the LBs currently on the roster. Of course, it’s not impossible that I missed something.

One-time fourth overall pick or not, this guy is going to need a lot of coaching to even be average. In other words, a project – exactly what we don’t want or need on this team ATM.

A 90 player roster spot? The same undrafted free agents you were calling camp fodder is the only spot he would take. I don’t think that roster spot is too valuable. If he wins a roster spot he would have earned it. Unlike Rivers signing him is far from guaranteeing any roster spot.

•  norm says:

Yes, I’d argue that Curry would not even be worth one of the 90 camp roster spots.

Under the new CBA, the number of opportunities for talented “no-names” to catch the coaches eye is fewer than ever before. There are now more players in camp but less than half as many practices. The competition in camp is no longer just for roster spots but also to be seen in the first place.

I’d much rather that opportunity be granted to some unknown player who at least has a possibility – even a slim one – of one day becoming a productive player than to a player with a large body of work that says in no uncertain terms “I am bad at football.”

Hey, don’t get me wrong. I know that GMs in all sports find once highly drafted “reclamation projects” such as Curry hard to resist. That’s why Darko Milicic and Kwame Brown kept finding their way on to NBA rosters in spite of a growing mountain of evidence that they were bad at basketball. I could see Reese taking the bait, falling prey to the temptation that the Giants alone hold the key to turning around Curry’s failed NFL career.

I doubt it ends well if he does. And the Giants run the risk – even if it’s a small one – of losing sight of a less heralded player who may actually turn out to be useful. Curry would command more attention in camp than any run-of-the-mill UDFA, simply by virtue of his pedigree. Sadly, any extra time spent on the part of the coaches’ to transform Curry into a serviceable NFL player would be time wasted. Guys’ a bum; let him be someone else’s reclamation project.

I see your point. I just think Curry does have enough talent to warrant the risk. But I agree with your general point because in most cases I would rather see the unknown player get the chance. That’s how I feel about Hightower but I see more upside in Curry though there’s clearly more downside.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

agree with Every thing Norm is saying. Curry isn’t a good player. There are GOOD LB’ers out there and Curry isn’t one of them.

Besides Dansby, I don’t think there are any definite answers at LB on the free agent market. If JR signs Curry it means they see something because it’s a tryout. I don’t know if Curry is any good but in the best case he has more upside than 95% of the free agent LBs available. Even if we added Curry we only have 9 LBs according to my count. If it’s not Curry I think we still add another LB because I remember always carrying 9 or 10 LBs on the roster at this point of the offseason. By now the rookie free agent LB types with NFL talent are pretty much gone.

4.  Sintexo says:

Ha… unfortunately this was me last year: “Last season, after drafting running back David Wilson, fans rushed out to the stores to buy his #34 jersey. A few weeks later, he switched to #22.”

Luckily, I got the jersey from some site in China, who it honestly looks like they stole the high end nike jersey off the factory line, then sold it for $100. Was able to get a refund through paypal after they refused to accept a return, then the jersey came back because they never picked it up after I shipped it.

Jaguars sign Marcus Trufant, cut Antwaun Molden