Ryan Nassib on New York Giants: “I’m So Happy to Be Joining Them”

May 2nd, 2013 at 11:18 AM
By Doug Rush

Ryan Nassib tried not to let the 2013 NFL Draft affect him, but he couldn't help it. Many thought he could be a first-round pick, or even a second-round pick, but he wasn't.

To cope with it, he didn't watch the first two days of the draft coverage, and in an interview with Michael Cohen from Syracuse.com, Nassib admits to listening to music in his car on Friday night after not being pick on Thursday night. Then, on Saturday, he headed to the gym. But s he was headed there, that's when he got the call he was waiting for; one in which it changed his life forever, as the New York Giants traded up in the fourth-round with the Arizona Cardinals to take him with the 110th overall pick in the draft.

It took the former Syracuse quarterback by surprise, but in the end, he was extremely thrilled to be coming to New Jersey.

"That was a huge surprise," Nassib said, "Because I had barely spoken with the Giants. But it was a great surprise. Getting a call from them was so exciting. I’m so happy about the situation. I can’t wait to start working for them.

In several mock drafts, Nassib was thought to land with the Buffalo Bills in the first round, especially since they had just hired his former head coach from Syracuse in Doug Marrone, but instead, they chose to go with E.J. Manuel from Florida State, and the free-falling into later rounds started.

Nobody had Nassib pegged to go to the Giants because they have Eli Manning in his prime with a very suitable backup in former first-rounder David Carr.

If he had gone to Buffalo, he would have likely been the franchise quarterback, even with Kevin Kolb in the mix, Nassib would have been the guy. With the Giants, he will be a backup and only see the field in the summer when the Giants play in the preseason. For Nassib, he's quite content with that role.

"Even though I’m so much of a competitor and how much I want to play," Nassib said, "sometimes being able to take a few years to develop and really refine your game to the point so that when it is your time to play you’re way better off than coming in as a rookie."

Nassib turned out to be the second player the Giants drafted out of Syracuse in last week's draft; first-round selection Justin Pugh was also a member of the school and Nassib's teammate for the Orangemen. Now, they'll get to be teammates again at the pro level.

What also excited Nassib about joining the Giants is the fact that he gets to play alongside Manning, someone he has admired and tried to emulate as a quarterback.

"There’s countless things I like about Eli," Nassib said. "I’ve always admired him because I always saw a lot of his game in mine. I can’t tell you how excited I am to learn from a guy like that, a guy who is that elite."

What started out as a draft-weekend horror, has ended up turning into a happy situation for the rookie, as he'll get a chance to learn from one of the league's best, along with getting the opportunity to play for a world-class organization that has contends for a championship quite often.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Justin Pugh, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Nassib

24 Responses to “Ryan Nassib on New York Giants: “I’m So Happy to Be Joining Them””

1.  norm says:

Translation: “I’m about to bank a cool 2-3 million over the next few years for doing nothing more than holding a clipboard on the sidelines while watching the most durable QB in the NFL do his thing. What’s not to like?”

2.  Sonny Mukhopadhyay says:

From a previous thread about Cooper Taylor and Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome.

I actually have a heart condition (and am 36), unfortunately, my case isn’t correctable with surgery. There are limitations on what you can and can’t do, and issues that can affect you in different ways (weight and stamina being 2).

It can easily scare people off, and depending on the issue you have, people will worry about how you handle something like stress of hard workouts and there is also the concern about issues coming back.

From what I understand, he had his surgery and was able to immediately gain weight. But, teams may have had concerns about what caused it, and other issues occuring that can coincide with it.

At the end of the day, you hear heart condition or heart issue, and for many, you don’t say professional athlete. I’m sure it hurt his stock.

I’m hoping passing on him because of it, comes back to bite those teams in the rear, LOL.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it’s controllable through medication and otherwise.

•  Sonny Mukhopadhyay says:

I take meds and it does change certain things you can and can’t do.

I can easily understand why a G.M. might pass on a talent, even if the teams medical staff were to clear a player.

At the end of the day, a G.M. and scouts will hear the words “heart condition”, and alot of what the docs say is going to go in one ear and right out the other.

When people hear about athletes and heart issues, most of the time, its in the negative (i.e. a player died). So decision makers get extra cautious, in a draft where you are looking to make choices between players, applying extra caution to one, will immediately favor another.

The Giants have a great deal of faith in their medical staff, and weren’t scared off, and good for them. I think Taylor is going to be a fine player, the guy at one point played with 2 BROKEN HANDS……If he doesn’t make it, we know it won’t be because he wasn’t committed.

•  norm says:

Sorry to hear that, man.

But as I noted in the previous thread, there’s reason to be encouraged that in Taylor’s case his heart condition won’t be an going forward. There is a precedent in which a pro athlete with W-P-W Syndrome had it corrected and was able to return to play at a high level. And that player – the Trail Blazers LaMarcus Aldridge – did so in a sport in which the stresses on the cardio-vascular system are arguably much greater than in the NFL (i.e. they run a lot more)

But I’ve no doubt that the Giants will monitor his situation closely. We know that their medical staff tends to err on the side of caution where player health and safety is concerned. I’m sure they went over Taylor’s medical records with a fine toothed comb before he was drafted. I suspect they gave the kid a clean bill of health and assured the front office that this was unlikely to be a problem in the future.

•  Sonny Mukhopadhyay says:

I don’t think it will be an issue for him in the future, I understand why teams might have passed on him.

You hear the words, and no matter what other people say, you get some thoughts. When making decisions, you want to take a cautious approach.

The Giants have faith in the medical staff (as they should), it may wind up helping them, I like this kid, I like his dedication and his size and speed.

I’m rooting for him. Hopefully the Giants will benefit from their faith while other teams that passed on him, will feel penalized for their caution……

What I am wondering about, is since he had this corrected, and from what I read, he added weight immediately, is if he can gain even more bulk or muscle mass ?

Ryan Nassib gets to apprentice under the QB he hopes to model himself on and gets paid to do it for four years, after which he is quite likely to be viewed as a desirable free agent in the era of $15MM per annum quarterbacks. The $2-3MM he’ll be paid is nice, but the candle is what I just described.

I don’t know how this works out for the Giants, but it’s a huge win for the kid.

4.  wlubake says:

Glad he’s saying the right things, but Nassib thought he’d get to at least compete for a starting job. Kid’s got to be disappointed it was us that pulled the trigger, instead of someone like Tampa or Minnesota.

•  Eric S says:

I hope he’s disappointed. If he’s any kind of competitor he should be disappointed. That said it’s nice to see he’s taking a mature and professional approach to it.

5.  norm says:

For all the uncertainty and debate over the Giants’ first pick, I think we can largely agree that the players taken on the third day of this year’s draft look to be (on paper, at least) very, very intriguing.

In the fifth round they grabbed Cooper Taylor, the kind of freakish height weight speed prospect that the Giants seem to have a knack for unearthing and turning into solid NFL players

In the seventh round they grab Eric Herman. Largely a mystery to the vast majority of us fans but in watching his highlight videos I saw someone whose game has a whole lotta nasty to it and who consistently plays through the whistle. This team desperately needs more players like that. Even if he doesn’t make the roster, he could threaten Seubert’s record for training camp scuffles.

Also taken in the seventh was Mike Cox, second only to Buster Hymen as the most humorously named prospect in this year’s class. Hope he is able to thrust himself on to the roster somehow.

And lastly, there’s Mr. Nassib. At worst, he provides the Giants considerable cap savings at a backup QB position whose market price is growing increasingly expensive throughout the NFL. With any luck, he flashes a bit in preseason and can be flipped – a la Kevin Kolb – for some decent picks in the future. Or even proves to be a serviceable fill-in were “that which should never be mentioned” to occur.

The thing about Taylor is that he is also a character guy. He was a team captain and academic all-american. With his athletic ability it’s hard to see him at least not becoming a useful player.

I’m intrigued by Cox. Our reported sleeper Miguel Maysonet was still available along with several other more well known sleepers like Stefphon Jefferson. To pick Cox we really saw an upside the other RBs didn’t posses.

•  norm says:

Other than the name, I’m baffled by the selection of Cox.

Don’t get me wrong… I trust the Giant scouts and believe they must have seen something on tape to justify the pick. But on paper, I’m just not seeing anything. A slow back (4.6 speed) who’s not especially big and averaged only 3.6 ypc?

But as you correctly point out, they spent a pick on him when other players with more attractive resumes were still available. And, of course, there is the undeniable appeal of that name.

•  creewan says:

Reese on Cox and the 3.6 ypc:

“I think their team is moving up a division and they were really kind of outmanned this year and you don’t see a lot of production, but if you look closely and do what us scouts do, we’re excited about him. We think he’s got a chance. He’s a big and powerful elusive guy with speed, so he’s got a lot of things that we like about him.”

•  creewan says:

The deeper we went into the draft the more value we acquired. In all honesty we reached in round 1 because we wanted an OL. Anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves. Rounds 2, 3, 5, and 7 we acquired some real value for where we picked. Good draft. As always with any draft, time will tell.

McCoy challenges “old man” Vick to race, and gets smoked

Eagles safety Colt Anderson has posted the basic details on Twitter: quarterback Mike Vick and running back LeSean McCoy raced in practice on Thursday, and Vick won.

But there’s more to the story, which we’ve obtained from a league source with knowledge of the situation.

McCoy had been riding Vick for weeks, calling him “old man” and challenging Vick to a footrace. Vick had been laughing it off, until today.

Today, Vick had enough. So he asked coach Chip Kelly if he could accept McCoy’s invitation. Kelly agreed.

So they lined up and took off, and Vick didn’t just beat McCoy. Vick smoked McCoy by roughly five yards over a 40-yard distance, and their teammates went nuts.

It has no direct relevance to the fate of the 2013 Eagles, but it proves that the “old man” can still move, which is bad news for any defense facing him this year.