New York Giants May Bring Back Linebacker Michael Boley

April 25th, 2013 at 6:30 AM

The New York Giants are still in need of some depth and veteran leadership at the linebacker position and it may come from a familiar face: Michael Boley.

Word spread rapidly on Wednesday night at the ESPN NFL Draft party that Big Blue had not yet shut the door on a Boley return and that, in fact, there has some strong consideration about re-signing him.

Boley, an eight-year veteran, was amongst some of the Giants' early offseason cuts that were aimed at saving some cap space. At the time of his release, Boley expressed shock and thanks to the organization for giving him a second chance.

"You do realize this is a business," Boley said. "Right now, all I can do is be thankful they gave me a second chance after leaving Atlanta. I had four tremendous years here. … I won a ring here, something some people never get to do."

At the time of the release, it appeared the cut would be permanent. The Giants did not ask Boley to take a reduction in pay, as they did with David Diehl, Corey Webster and Chris Canty (who said no), and that came on the heels of significantly decreased playing time over the final three games of the regular season.

In 57 career games with the Giants, Boley collected 315 tackles, 3.5 sacks, three interceptions, 15 passes defensed, two forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries. He also led the team with 10 tackles in Super Bowl XLVI.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Chris Canty, Corey Webster, David Diehl, Football, Michael Boley, New York, New York Giants, NFL

12 Responses to “New York Giants May Bring Back Linebacker Michael Boley”

Repost:

norm says:
    April 25, 2013 at 12:56 AM
    GOAT,

Man, sometimes I wonder if you actually believe some of the sh!t you write or if you just like acting the part of the contrarian.

Seriously, dude, some of the crap you come up with on here beggars belief. Did someone hack into your account or was it actually you who wrote: “Teams with elite QBs such as Eli just don’t play a smash mouth style in today’s NFL.”

I don’t know what exactly you mean by “smashmouth” but a

norm says:
    April 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM
    …quick check of the numbers reveals that the Giants ran 948 plays from scrimmage last year, 409 of which were runs. That’s 43% of all total plays – a not insignificant amount. And I’d bet if you asked the head coach, Ol’ Tom “Balanced Attack” Coughlin, I’m sure he’d tell you that percentage should be higher. You have arguably the premiere play action QB in the game today. And, despite all that, you seriously want to argue that a road grader RT wouldn’t necessarily help because of his deficiencies as a pass protector?

Well, now I’ve heard everything.

Look, you want to make the case that there are better options for the Giants than Fluker at 19, that’s a legitimate argument. I get that people have differing views of what this team’s priorities should be. But to say that he’d be a bad pick because he’s a bad fit for who the Giants are and what they are trying to do is just fundamentally wrong on so many different levels.

I know you’re smarter than that. As Keyshawn would say: “C’mon, man…”

My point isn’t comparing the road grader to air it’s in comparison to what the Lockear type of performance I feel we can get from Brewer or another RT like Watson. I never said Fluker wouldn’t be an improvement over Diehl. My point is that shouldn’t be the bar for the 19th pick. Maybe Fluker is just a better player than I’m giving him credit for but that’s what I see. For today’s NFL I rather have a pass blocking RT, if that seems crazy to you so be it.

The true in the box safeties are basically disappearing due to the way the pass the ball in the NFL. Our in the box safety has been a former top 10 CB who ran a 4.4 coming out. To me RT is similar to strong safety nowadays in that for even strong safety coverage is more important than being physical.

My point isn’t that we don’t need to run the ball, it’s that a great passing game will enable us to run the ball more than vice versa. With Eli in his prime at QB we will be a passing team that can run the ball well like 2010 not a run first team like 2008. With that being the case pass protection for both OTs is more important in my view which is why Beatty was re-signed.

•  F0XLIN says:

How are in the box safeties disappearing? The current elite safety duo in the NFL are Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor aka Thunder and Lightening. While Kam has the speed to play off the line he is very much their “in the box” safety.

Throw in their two corners and they currently have the “copy cat” prototype for today’s NFL secondary

•  kujo says:

Disagree completely.

•  kujo says:

We’ve been passing the ball like crazy for the last 2-3 years, all while our running game has gone from being our biggest strength to mildly effective, at best. Now, admittedly, a lot of that is based on the dwindling talent pool at running back prior to the drafting of David Wilson. But an enormous reason is that our offensive line simply sucks rancid donkey balls, collectively. This truth has been examined ad nauseum, so there’s no need to go further than to say that the unit need to improve if the goal is to have a) a better running game and b) decrease the immense amount of pressure Eli has faced (and alluded) for most of the last 2 seasons.

Again, I am not saying we have to draft Fluker or one of the offensive guards at 19. But I think you are crazy for thinking the way you do on this subject matter.

2.  kujo says:

I really just don’t think they’ll bring Boley back.

3.  GIANTT says:

This is the time of the year that the teams have the whip hand dealing with free agents left out there who havent gotten contracts . Would it surprise me if Boley came back at vet minimum ? I dont think so , if it is true then the Giants dont see any viable options out there in the leadership role . Whos on the team to lead ? unless someone really steps up this year then it comes back to Boley . Or maybe its a smoke screen b/c the Giants REALLY want someone in the draft ( Manti Teo ? I jest )
    Im thinking the Giants will go DB first round (any of the top three or four who drop to them ) then OL or DL in the second and third round . I think the Giants have the list of players they want to target but they are one of the few teams who will switch to a player who should go higher but drops to their slot especially if there are viable replacement options in lower rounds .
    Would someone remind me in their opinion which positions are very deep in this draft and which have very few NFL calibre players available .Im talking the groups that the Giants may be interested in . i.e Ol , Dl , LBs and DBs