April 25th, 2013 at 11:30 AM

'Justin Tuck' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck Photography - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Add New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck to the growing list of NFL players who would have absolutely no problem with a gay teammate.

"If he's helping me win football games, I don't give a damn," Tuck said on Thursday.

The veteran noted that the reaction to a homosexual player would be far greater in the social world than it would be in the locker-room. He feels they would be widely accepted and treated no differently than any other player. They'd be expected to work hard and help their team win.

"The outside reaction to a gay player will be greater than inside the locker room," he said.

Before signing with the Chicago Bears, tight end Martellus Bennett shared similar thoughts on having a gay teammate. He also speculated that each team already has approximately one or two gay players, and no one gives a damn as long they contribute — the same expectations that are put on every single person who wears the uniform.

"There's definitely at least one or two gay guys on every team. Who cares? If someone can play ball, let em play." he tweeted at the time.

Of course, his comment came on the heels of a statement made by San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver, who said "I don't do the gay guys man. I don't do that." The 49ers later apologized for his comments.

Several gay NFL players have recently considered coming out publicly, and it's expected at least one will before the close of the 2013-2014 season.

Tags: Chris Culliver, Football, Justin Tuck, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco 49ers

30 Responses to “New York Giants’ Justin Tuck on Having a Gay Teammate: “If He Helps Us Win, I Don’t Give a Damn””

1. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

From norm in previous comment section:

Dan,

I, for one, hope you are able to keep on doing what you’ve been doing.

Admittedly, I don’t love all the content you and the writers provide here (I could do without reading another Cruz contract story for the rest of my natural life. But it’s something you guys can’t ignore and gotta report on. I guess as long as Krow keeps coming up with Young Whales jokes, I’ll be able to find some good in them)

That said, I can’t even begin to describe how much enjoyment this site has given me since I found it 5-6 years ago. Even when I’m not posting, I try and log on to read everyday. Not only do I appreciate the need for content I don’t especially like that helps keep the site solvent but I would happily accept more if it ensured the continued viability of this enterprise.

You’ve created something special here and nothing would please me more than to hear that you’ve started to make a few shekels from your efforts. I know the competition is steep and there is no shortage of Giants fan blogs vying for people’s attention. I visit the others from time to time and never tarry on them long. For my money, this place is unique in both the quality of its content and community. G101 is the best; no one else is even close.

Sadly, I realize that the deep appreciation (expressed or not) that myself and others feel for this forum does not pay the bills; that this is largely a labor of love for you – a vehicle to share your passion for the Giants with like minded fans. I’m also painfully aware that labors of love are sometimes undone by the practical considerations of the real world. I know that the same could happen here; that one day you might wake up and decide it’s no longer worth the time and expense to keep this place up and running. I certainly wouldn’t blame you should that ever come to pass. Obviously, I hope it never does.

So I’ll simply close by reiterating what I said at the top: Keep on doing what you’ve been doing, my man. Whatever it takes to keep this site whole for another day, week, month, year. If that means running “Poor Eli” three times a week instead of one, fine. Hey, you can even keep on providing the Cruz articles and I’ll keep on providing the [insert Young Whales joke here] remarks.

____________________

This is awesome. Don’t even know what to say. Truly appreciate that, norm. And I am sure the other Giants 101 will appreciate it as well.

Thank you, man.

2.  GmenMania says:

Great article on Warmack and his visit with the Giants. Man do I want to see this guy in blue. Hope he’s available when we pick.

3.  Apexer says:

Dan,

I felt obligated to post. You have no idea who I am but I want you to know I read this site everyday, every article and every comment. I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people like me that read this site everyday that you don’t even know about that truly appreciate the effort and compassion for the Giants in each and every article. I have posted once or twice but the reason that I don’t post very often is because of the insite that most posters give which is one of the many reasons that make this site better than all the others. Someone has already stated an opionion that I agree with on almost every article. Some of you have changed my opinions. This site means a lot to a lot of people. Not just the ones that post everyday. Now if you could just keep Kujo and Demo from slobbering all over eachother it would be perfect….

To all of the writers and common posters, keep up the great work because I am hooked on G101

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Really appreciate you logging in to say that, Apexer. And as I said to norm, I am sure the other G101 writers will appreciate that just as much.

Thanks a lot! And glad to have you as a loyal reader.

4.  Dirt says:

I hate Dan Benton. I hope the Giants draft Geno Smith tonight.

5.  kujo says:

Where’s BBG at? He sh-ts on the article earlier but isnt here to discuss the last 2 very pertinent articles? Can’t imagine Vontaze can last THIS long without that blue pill.

6.  F0XLIN says:

I work a block from Radio City,just took a stroll outside for lunch and the atmosphere is pretty awesome out there. SNY is setting up to broadcast on 50th and 6th outside if anyone is in the area. Productions trucks within a 3 block radius all over. Lot so fans from all parts of the country. Yelled at a few Cowboys fans to set the mood. Should be a cool scene later if anyone is in the area

7.  Dirt says:

Where Are They Now, 2020
    After a brief stint as a writer for Giants 101, Simon GC would seek success as an entrepreneur. A perfect opportunity arose in 2013 with the legalization of marijuana in Colorado. Seeing an opportunity in a young, budding industry, Simon would begin his empire with small farms in unknown towns, but later grew his foothold through aggressive takeovers and favorable deals with politicians. Today, his integrated crop, production, supply chain and advertising operations bring in $20 billion in revenues annually. The organization is currently the lead sponsor for the Manchester United football club. Simon would bring his career full circle with the purchase of Sports Media 101, which is currently led by founder and CEO, Dan Benton.

8.  Samardzija says:

So, are we penciling in a tackle at #1 tonight? Any chance the Chiefs throw us a curveball and go Fisher?

9.  norm says:

I have a growing sense that Fluker will be off the board by 19.

He could easily get swept up in the run on OTs that figures to take place at or near the top of this round. Yeah, I know he’s not a left tackle but he has been touted in many corners as the best run-blocking OT in the draft. I could easily foresee a team with a sh!tty QB grabbing him with the idea that he could help them generate more offense via the ground game.

This is, of course, great news for those who hate the idea of Fluker as the pick. He’s not my top choice (I still prefer a DE or someone named Jones) But I think he’d be a damn fine selection and hope the Giants have a shot at him or one of the big two guards if all of the top rated DEs are gone.

I don’t know who it will be but we are just about guaranteed that at least 2-3 of those touted as top-15 picks will be available at #19, and more than likely someone touted as a top-10 pick will be there for the taking.

Reese/Ross and their minions will have a number of great choices in front of them. The one thing I think everyone should remember is that the player they select will be one they believe will be a perennial Pro Bowler. They are not going to take a flyer on someone at #19.