New York Giants: Breaking Down Each Draft Class Under GM Jerry Reese

April 25th, 2013 at 10:30 AM
By Doug Rush

'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ "In Reese We Trust." If you are a New York Giants fan, it's a phrase that many fans have uttered in the six years that Jerry Reese has been the team's general manager.

During his six years, his worst season at the helm was 8-8 in 2009. But he has also seen two Super Bowl titles in 2007 and 2011. In 2013, Reese will be looking to win his third as the team's GM, which would definitely cement his spot as a top NFL executive.

One of the biggest reasons why Reese has such a great reputation is his knack for finding talent and drafting players to help the team. Ever since 2007, it's been one solid player after another, and on Thursday night, he will look to bring in the next wave of players to help the team.

With the 2013 NFL Draft kicking off in approximately 10 and a half hours, let us all look back at each of his draft classes and see how each of them helped the Giants.

2007 NFL Draft:

1st Round, No. 20: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

2nd Round, No. 51: Steve Smith, WR, USC

3rd Round, No. 81: Jay Alford, DT, Penn State

4th Round, No. 116: Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown

5th Round, No. 153: Kevin Boss, TE, Western Oregon

6th Round, No. 189: Adam Koets, OG, Oregon State

7th Round, No. 224: Michael Johnson, FS, Arizona

7th Round, No. 250: Ahmad Bradshaw, RB, Marshall

Overall: Most of these players at one point or another were key contributors to the Giants upsetting the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. Bradshaw was the latest one to depart from this draft class, as Ross and DeOssie are the only two who remain from Reese's original draft class, with Ross having been brought back this year.

2008 NFL Draft:

1st Round, No. 31: Kenny Phillips, SS, Miami

2nd Round, No. 63: Terrell Thomas, CB, USC

3rd Round, No. 95: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan

4th Round, No. 123: Bryan Kehl, LB, Brigham Young

5th Round, No. 165: Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt

6th Round, No. 198: Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky

6th Round, No. 199: Robert Henderson, DE, Southern Miss.

Overall: The last two picks didn't even factor on the team, while Kehl and Goff were both disappointments who dealt with injuries. Phillips and Manningham were key components in Super Bowl XLVI; especially Manningham, who caught one of the most important passes in the fourth quarter. Only Thomas remains from this draft class, as he attempts to comeback from a third ACL surgery in his career.

2009 NFL Draft:

1st Round, No. 29: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina

2nd Round, No. 45: Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia

2nd Round, No. 60: Will Beatty, OT, Connecticut

3rd Round, No. 85: Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly

3rd Round, No. 100: Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin

4th Round, No. 129: Andre Brown, RB, North Carolina State

5th Round, No. 151: Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State

6th Round, No. 200: DeAndre Wright, CB, New Mexico

7th Round, No. 238: Stoney Woodson, CB, South Carolina

Overall: Hakeem Nicks was the biggest pick of the draft to replace Plaxico Burress after the whole Manhattan nightclub incident. Nicks has become one of the league's premier wide receivers and was a major part of the Giants run to Super Bowl XLVI. Will Beatty has also developed into a solid starter at left tackle and was just rewarded with a five-year deal, as was Andre Brown, who signed a one-year tender for 2013.

2010 NFL Draft:

1st Round, No. 15: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

2nd Round, No. 46: Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina

3rd Round, No. 76: Chad Jones, SS, LSU

4th Round, No. 115: Phillip Dillard, LB, Nebraska

5th Round, No. 147: Mitch Petrus, OG, Arkansas

6th Round, No. 184: Adrian Tracy, DE, William & Mary

7th Round, No. 221: Matt Dodge, P, East Carolina

Overall: Remember when a lot of us Giants fans were enraged with Reese when he took JPP in the first round, especially since the team needed a middle linebacker? And remember when many of us fans put our feet in our mouths when we all saw just how much of a talent he was. It's why we all say "In Reese We Trust," because JPP has developed into one of the league's best defensive ends, who also helped guide the defense to the Super Bowl in 2011, as did Linval Joseph, who are both still key starters on the team.

2011 NFL Draft:

1st Round, No. 19: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

2nd Round, No. 52: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina

3rd Round, No. 83: Jerrel Jernigan: WR, Troy

4th Round, No. 117: James Brewer, OT, Indiana

6th Round, No. 185: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State

6th Round, No. 198: Tyler Sash, FS, Iowa

6th Round, No. 202: Jacquian Williams, LB, South Florida

7th Round, No. 221: Da'Rel Scott, RB, Maryland

Overall: Prince Amukamara has taken a while to develop into the corner that the Giants were expecting with the first round pick, but towards the end of 2012, he became their best defender. After missing most of his rookie season, he was a part of the defensive unit that won Super Bowl XLVI. The jury is still out on Austin, Jernigan, Brewer and Scott who are all untested and unproven with the Giants.

2012 NFL Draft:

1st Round, No. 32: David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

2nd Round, No. 64: Rueben Randle, WR, LSU

3rd Round, No. 94: Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech

4th Round, No. 127: Adrien Robinson, TE, Cincinnati

4th Round, No. 131: Brandon Mosley, OG, Auburn

6th Round, No. 201: Matt McCants, OT, UAB

7th Round, No. 239: Markus Kuhn, DT, North Carolina State

Overall: Wilson will get the starting nod in 2013 as they have parted ways with Ahmad Bradshaw. He showed flashes of brilliance in 2012 as both a running back and kick returner. Randle replaced Mario Manningham who left via free agency and will look to take control of the number three receiver spot, which was vacated by Domenik Hixon. The others still have to prove themselves on the team.

Overall Thoughts on All Draft Classes: In each season, Reese found quality players that helped contribute over the six years. There were some players who didn't work out like Barden, Beckum and Dodge, but for the most part, Reese has drafted very well for the Giants through his first six seasons as the team's GM. Ultimately, the players taken that have contributed to Super Bowl's XLII and XLVI are the reason why Reese ranks near the top as an NFL executive.

And just like he has done in the past, in 2013, Reese will look to add more quality players to the Giants in his seventh draft.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, David Wilson, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jerry Reese, Linval Joseph, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Will Beatty

29 Responses to “New York Giants: Breaking Down Each Draft Class Under GM Jerry Reese”

1.  Samardzija says:

Still early, but the last two draft classes doesnt look that great. Jerry needs to hit a couple of home runs this weekend.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I think the 2012 Draft looks great. I mean, obviously that can change in the blink of an eye, but there is a ton of talent there.

2011 is a bit rough though.

•  Samardzija says:

Thats why I say its still early. Lots of talent for sure, most them just didnt do anything of note last year.

2. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Going back to the discussion from the previous article, allow me to share this. The very first comment on this article on our Facebook page:

“Chris Cummings He has two rings who cares”

Every time. Every article. Without fail. LoL

3.  Sintexo says:

Question for the people who research a lot of the players in the draft every year. A lot of people seem to think that the top guards being drafted early just won’t happen, and one of Warmack/Cooper will be there when we pick. In the past, has there ever been this much talk of interior lineman going early, then on draft day, dropping much further than expected?

I only ask because it seems like there is talk of Cooper going as early as Detroit, Arizona, Buffalo, Tennessee, San Diego, etc.

4.  F0XLIN says:

From an initial glance it looks like JR also has suffered a lot more injuries to his draft picks than average. That’s not to stay they were all studs, but they were ascending players whose careers were derailed or cut short with the Giants due to injury.

Alford
    Boss
    Koets
    Phillips
    Thomas
    Goff
    Sintim
    A Brown*
    Austin?
    Chad Jones
    Tracy*

There were other names on the that did not really take the field, but to me it seems more than average without knowing the stats

•  sonnymooks says:

That might go to the coaching staff. I can’t remember where I read it, but it was a couple of years ago. Tom Coughlins teams, going back to BC and also Jacksonville had higher then average rates of injuries. His guys lose alot of games to injuries.

I would expect that if he drives his rookies the same as he drives his vets, his rookies (and players on the back 9 of their careers) would get hurt more.

Rookies, because when they come out of college, are not at their ideal size/strength/condition and are facing much bigger/faster/stronger guys IN PRACTICE then they ever faced in any game in college. Vets would get banged up simply from the wear and tear.

Personally, I believe in hard practices, and lots of banging and hitting, and that toughness beats finesse and that a hard team will beat a soft team, so I can’t disagree if Coach Coughlin is rough on the guys, but if the Giants draft players with any kind of injury history for value, it can leave those guys behind.

5.  Valid says:

I’m seeing a lot of Carradine predictions at No. 19.

The Jets took him off their draft board because of ‘character issues’ … but then realized they were looking at David Carradine.

6.  DaveD says:

The pattern I see when I look at those drafts, JR and team do well in the first round…. Which makes me even more excited for tonight.

7.  DaveD says:

And I expect good things out of Jacquian Williams this year.

8.  norm says:

Dan,

I, for one, hope you are able to keep on doing what you’ve been doing.

Admittedly, I don’t love all the content you and the writers provide here (I could do without reading another Cruz contract story for the rest of my natural life. But it’s something you guys can’t ignore and gotta report on. I guess as long as Krow keeps coming up with Young Whales jokes, I’ll be able to find some good in them)

That said, I can’t even begin to describe how much enjoyment this site has given me since I found it 5-6 years ago. Even when I’m not posting, I try and log on to read everyday. Not only do I appreciate the need for content I don’t especially like that helps keep the site solvent but I would happily accept more if it ensured the continued viability of this enterprise.

You’ve created something special here and nothing would please me more than to hear that you’ve started to make a few shekels from your efforts. I know the competition is steep and there is no shortage of Giants fan blogs vying for people’s attention. I visit the others from time to time and never tarry on them long. For my money, this place is unique in both the quality of its content and community. G101 is the best; no one else is even close.

Sadly, I realize that the deep appreciation (expressed or not) that myself and others feel for this forum does not pay the bills; that this is largely a labor of love for you – a vehicle to share your passion for the Giants with like minded fans. I’m also painfully aware that labors of love are sometimes undone by the practical considerations of the real world. I know that the same could happen here; that one day you might wake up and decide it’s no longer worth the time and expense to keep this place up and running. I certainly wouldn’t blame you should that ever come to pass. Obviously, I hope it never does.

So I’ll simply close by reiterating what I said at the top: Keep on doing what you’ve been doing, my man. Whatever it takes to keep this site whole for another day, week, month, year. If that means running “Poor Eli” three times a week instead of one, fine. Hey, you can even keep on providing the Cruz articles and I’ll keep on providing the [insert Young Whales joke here] remarks.

I think the 2012 draft will look great in a few years and I’m not yet convinced the 2011 class was so bad. Austin, Brewer and Williams could all wind up being real contributors. The tale will be told over the next two seasons for those three. Right now Austin looks like a bust and Brewer looks like a reach, but I suspect we might feel very differently about Brewer by the time next season comes around, and who knows about Austin. The guy played no football for over two years. It would have been miraculous if he came in last season and excelled. He needs to have a good camp or could be cut, but for all any of us know he could turn out to be what Reese thought he was: a great inside rush guy who can disrupt the pocket and create opportunities for our outside rush guys.

10.  somethingtofollow says:

While many here at G101 expect the Giants to not pick a LB, here is an article stating the Giants not only going to take a LB but they are looking at Teo for the #19 pick