Mississippi State CB Darius Slay on New York Giants’ Radar

April 24th, 2013 at 3:44 PM
By Doug Rush

We at Giants 101 have stressed how much the New York Giants need to improve the secondary through the draft. It's a unit that needs major reinforcements, especially with all of the question marks surrounding it. The one name that has been mentioned over and over again on our site is Washington's Desmond Trufant, who would be a solid pick in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft on Thursday Night.

'NFL Draft' photo (c) 2011, Zennie Abraham - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

However, what if Trufant gets drafted by a team like the New York Jets or Miami Dolphins and he doesn't make it to their pick? It won't change the fact that the Giants still need to add depth at the position.

Art Stapleton of the Bergen Record reports the Giants have interest in Mississippi State's Darius Slay, who has gone public with the interest from the Giants.

Mississippi St CB Darius Slay on #NYG interest: "They've been calling me lately. I think they like me a lot, think I'm pretty hot for them, he tweeted."

Slay is being projected as a mid-to-low second-round pick and could be someone taken on Friday, which is when that round would start. Some mock drafts have him falling to the New England Patriots, who can always use more defensive back help in their defense. But for Slay to be very open about the Giants interest, and for him to have a positive attitude towards it means he's interested in coming to New York if the possibility presented itself.

Slay did have a torn meniscus this offseason, but has stated that he won't need off-season surgery on it and should be ready to go for the 2013 season.

What Slay could offer the Giants is a very physical style of defense, and a corner who attacks the receivers arms and hands to either jar the ball away or even pick it off for an interception. Slay is also a solid tackler, which is something the Giants as a whole need to improve upon as a group.

We at Giants 101 still feel that Trufant is the best fit for the Giants to take at cornerback in the first round. But if he's not there for them to take, then looking into someone like Slay would be a good Plan B to have.

Tags: Darius Slay, Desmond Trufant, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

100 Responses to “Mississippi State CB Darius Slay on New York Giants’ Radar”

1 2 3 4
  1.  norm says:

Are the Giants scouting operations headquartered at Arecibo Observatory, home of one of the world’s largest radars?

I doubt there’s many other radars big enough to monitor the vast number of players that the team is reportedly tracking.

2.  kujo says:

I think that I am perhaps understating Fluker’s pass blocking issues, while you are overstating them. The truth is probably in the middle–he needs work on that very important side of his game, and I believe he can get to where we want him based on his attitude and ability. Meanwhile, he would absolutely be better than David Diehl, and probably better than James Brewer, who has “left tackle feet” and isn’t known as much of a run blocker. He’s big, mean and would be loads better than what we’ve have since Kareem departed.

•  kujo says:

The “you” in this post is GOAT56, whom I was responding to.

As I said yesterday, Fluker would not only be great for the run game, and could be taught to be stronger against the speed rushers who give him trouble, but THE VERY FACT THAT THERE IS A GREAT RUN GAME PROTECTS ELI TOO.

If the Giants run right very successfully behind Fluker, Snee, a tight end and sometimes a fullback too, the defensive end will have no choice but to hesitate in reading pass. That split second is almost the equivalent of having a great pass-blocker in front of him because it gives Eli that extra time to read the defense, identify the opening, and release the ball.

Never mind that Cooper could make this approach even better. We’re talking Fluker now, and he’d be a GREAT pick at #19.

•  kujo says:

My thoughts exactly.

And bottom line, he is an immediate upgrade over the flotsam and jetsam we’ve got in Diehl and Brewer, the former being a notedly-terrible pass blocker who gets by because of the myth of him being good as a run blocker (which is total bullsh-t, but that’s for another time…) while the latter is an unknown player entering his third year having shown ZERO…NADA! Q

Slay, or his teammate Jonthan Banks, could be excellent second round picks. Personally, I liked Banks a lot after seeing him play twice and looking very good against good receivers.

I’ll tell you why I don’t think Carradine will be our pick at #19. It’s because some players will drop whom no one expects to do so, and Reese will have a blue-chipper drop in his lap. Ansah, Warmack, Cooper, Fluker, and Rhodes are all guys whom I think might drop into our range. Every one of them is probably a better pick than Carradine, or Trufant (I’ve seen a LOT of him and like him a lot, but I don’t think he’s as good as any of the players noted above).

The draft I really WANT (not what I projected because my projection was based on what I thought Reese and the draft room would do) is Cooper, then Banks, then Bostic, then LaVar Edwards.

In my mind Edwards could become as good as any of the defensive ends under consideration, but he seems to have slipped under the radar. I know there’s mixed reviews regarding Bostic but I think he’s jjust what we need at MIKE and he is a real hitter. I think Banks could become one of the top three corners out of this draft. And you all know that I think Cooper could turn this offense into a monster almost right away. Give me that draft and I’d be ecstatic.

•  Begiant says:

I agree with Cooper and Banks. I like Cooper because he has a higher upside, is more athletic and had less talent around him. In addition I like the size of Banks. I don’t know about Bostic though. Have you seen him play? I know he has the measurables, but I have heard he looked underwhelming.

Yeah, saw him play three times and he looked far from underwhelming. He is a terrific hash-mark-to-hash-mark MLB who hits hard and fights off blocks a lot better than any other MLB I saw play this season. I thought he was vastly underrated and relatively unheralded for a player of his caliber.

He’s probably a two-down LB but the Giants’ scheme doesn’t call for the MIKE to play three downs except in very rare circumstances. I think he’d be great for us.

4.  wlubake says:

Another guy I like in the third is Jamie Collins. He probably won’t last that long, but he’d make good SAM with pass rushing ability. He’s apparently looked fluid in coverage drills, too. If you watch his tape, he has crazy fast closing speed.

Southern Miss used him as a stand-up line player. Most likely, though, he’s gone before our third round pick.

5.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I would LOVE to grab Slay in the 2nd round, as you can see by both of my mock scenarios. I think this injury coming out a day before the draft (although it was almost certainly known by teams, especially those who have worked him out) could be just what the doctor ordered to have him slip to us at 49. Banks has received much of the pre-draft hype coming out of Mississippi State and is a very good player, but Slay is the real deal.

I really hope that we are able to snag Cooper or Warmack in the first round…even if it means trading up a few spots. Word out there is that right now many teams are really looking to trade down – more so than in years past. If it took leapfrogging the Cowboys and giving up a 4th round pick to lock down one of these 2, I would do it in a second. I really think they’re both 10 year, pro-bowl caliber players that will, along with Beatty, provide a solid foundation for the re-tooling of our OL. Even if Ansah was there and there was someone like Cooper on the board, if it was me – I’d go Cooper.

6.  Begiant says:

Do any of you know about Devonte Holloman?

Repost:

kujo says:
    April 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Goat,

I think that I am perhaps understating his pass blocking issues, while you are overstating them. The truth is probably in the middle–he needs work on that very important side of his game, and I believe he can get to where we want him based on his attitude and ability. Meanwhile, he would absolutely be better than David Diehl, and probably better than James Brewer, who has “left tackle feet” and isn’t known as much of a run blocker. He’s big, mean and would be loads better than what we’ve have since Kareem departed.

GOAT56 says:
    April 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    My point is that I don’t feel comfortable investing in a first round OL player who’s his weakness is pass blocking. To me with Eli my concern is 2/1 pass blocking to run blocking because we almost pass at that ratio and we have to protect the franchise. If Fluker was a 2nd round prospect I would be more forgiving. To me Glenn was a much better prospect than Fluker and if his type of prospect was there at 19 I would be for it. That’s why I could probably be sold on Watson the OT from FSU.

I’m not saying JR feels the same way but that’s how I think about the OL. With the WRs we have what’s the point of paying Cruz and Nicks all this money to stay long term if Eli doesn’t have time to throw. If we can pass we will be able to run especially with a dynamic space player like Wilson.

To me the NFL has become much more about the pass. We need players that help defend the pass more than the run and pass effectively more than run effectively.

•  kujo says:

DJ Fluker’s pass blocking > 2013 presumptive starting RT David Diehl’s pass blocking

How Brewer grades out is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. If he can be the guy, than you’re right–drafting Fluker would be unwise. But if he’s not gonna be our right tackle, and you look at the pass blocking issues (understatement) of our current incumbent, then your concerns would be best allayed by one Fluker, DJ.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I agree. Having watched almost EVERY Bama game this year AND last year…I would say that Fluker would certainly be an upgrade over Diehl. We have no idea what we have in Brewer…and we won’t before the draft. So I assume that if Fluker is available and we take him, it means one of two things: Brewer is nothing more than depth…or that the rumors of moving him inside may be true.

I wouldn’t make that assumption. Yes, Diehl was bad last year but drafting a RT in the first that has pass blocking issues doesn’t mean that’s an improvement. I don’t mind drafting a RT but someone like Fluker should be drafted in the 2-3rd rounds in my view. A guy in the 3rd round like Williams from UNC I would prefer if we are going that style of RT.

8.  GmenMania says:

About Cruz. . .

I have a friend who knows him personally. My friend told me that yesterday when he talked to Cruz, he said that he was going to sign the Giants offer in a couple of weeks, and that he was just biding his time. This is a very reliable source, and the info comes straight from Cruz.

Thought you guys might want to know that a resolution is forthcoming.

Fabulous if correct, and quite frankly G101′s track record on inside information is awfully good.

•  GmenMania says:

Yeah I trust this person implicitly, and he had just spoken with Cruz when he told me. I’m pretty positive it’s good information.

•  jfunk says:

I believe the report 100%, but I kinda really hope that “just biding my time” was something he said because he didn’t want to get into any details with the guy about it and isn’t really the truth.

I hope that he’s actually trying to get some changes to the contract, because if all he’s doing is skipping out a few workout sessions then I strongly question his judgment. He’s got an awful lot to lose if he twists his knee between now and when he signs that contract.

•  GmenMania says:

He (my friend) said that Cruz essentially said “I’m signing it in a couple of weeks” with a hand wave, like it was no big deal. He took it to mean that he was sort of just waiting it out, but I can only assume that there are just some very small, minor details to be worked out, and that they just recently agreed on the more substantial stuff. I doubt he’s sitting out the workouts for no purpose.

•  Sonny Mukhopadhyay says:

I have no doubt thats true, wouldn’t be the first time someone used their contracts talks to miss some OTAs, in fact, wouldn’t even be the 100th time.

9.  TroyThorne says:

DJ Fluker’s pass protection woes are being overstated by some. Fluker doesn’t have “left tackle feet”, not even close really, and that’s where some of his issues stem from. With better technique he’ll be able to “hide” (for lack of a better term) the fact he’s not a ballet dancer. What he DOES have is an absolutely massive frame and ridiculous strength so even if guys get a half step on him he can still reach out and smother them. If he gets his hands on a defensive player, it’s game over. He also brings good intangibles to the game as he’s that prototypical nasty mauler on the offensive line and is very vocal in his support of his teammates.

Wouldn’t be a bad pick at all at 19.

•  kujo says:

He’s a big mean mother f—er, the likes of which we haven’t had since Seubert was forced to retire. He’s not the guy I mocked to us, but I’d be dancing in the streets of Azalea Park, Orlando of he ends up being a Giant.

•  Steven says:

Hey Kujo, I live over in the Avalon/Waterford Chase area. Are there any good Giants bars around here?

•  demo3356 says:

Steven- We go to Milanos in Avalon Park. They put the giants on all the big screens and the place is usually like 90% Giants fans.. $4.99 pitchers on Game day too

•  kujo says:

There also a bar near Millenia Mall called J&G’s that is owned and operated by a family of true blue Giants fans. Place has great food, great Giants memorabilia around the place and a guarantee that the Giants game, with audio, will be on the big screen.

10.  jfunk says:

Can anybody point me to an easily printable list that would have a few different respectable mock drafts on it? CBS has a page with 4 predictions on it, but their boards look a little wonky to me.

I don’t know jack about college ball (which is why I have few strong opinions about most of these guys), so it’d be nice to have a few mocks in front of me when I watch so I know a surprise when I see it.

1 2 3 4