Florida State DE Tank Carradine on New York Giants’ Radar

April 24th, 2013 at 12:35 PM
By Doug Rush

It's the eve of the 2013 NFL Draft, and defense seems to be on the mind of the New York Giants. It's a unit that struggled in 2012 and one that needs major improvement after a disappointing 9-7 season.

One of the needs the Giants have to make is to their defensive line, especially since not one of their players had double-digit sacks, which was a shock considering it's a group that is considered to be one of the best in the NFL. And a name that many are familiar with is Bjoern Werner from Florida State. However, the Giants have also had interest in Werner's teammate, Cornelius "Tank" Carradine.

Carradine isn't the top defensive lineman on the board when the draft starts Thursday night, but the Giants see a lot of upside in him. Some teams weren't so high on him after he suffered a torn ACL. He was able to work out for teams and show that he's recovered from the drastic injury.

DraftInsider.net reports the Giants are currently one of four teams that have strong interest in Tank Carradine, with the Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons and Minnesota Vikings also interested in him as well.

We’ll have more on this in the coming days but right now the top suitors for Cornellius Carradine of Florida State are the Miami Dolphins (12th selection), the New York Giants (19) and Minnesota Vikings (23 & 25).  Carradine has had a lot of recent contact with Miami and if the Dolphins agree to terms with offensive tackle Brandon Albert, he becomes a real possibility with the 12th selection (Miami could grab a cornerback/tight end in rounds two and/or three).  I was told at the Senior Bowl the Giants, who’ve also had a lot of one-on-one contact with Carradine the past week, rated the Florida State senior as one of the best defensive ends in the draft prior to his injury.  The fit with the Vikings makes sense considering several of their defensive ends are entering the final year of contracts.  The Atlanta Falcons are also in the mix for Carradine.

Draft Insider said that the Giants have had one-on-one contact with Carradine over the past week and have ranked him as one of the top defensive players in the upcoming draft. However, the Dolphins have also had strong interest in Carradine too, and could look to draft him at the number 12 spot, which might take the Giants, Falcons and Vikings out of the running for him if Miami decides to snag him up.

In his senior year, Carradine started 12 games in place of Brandon Jenkins and was able to record 11 sacks before he went down with the ACL in the Seminoles' final game against Florida.

But with Osi Umenyiora's departure to the Atlanta Falcons and Justin Tuck in a make-or-break and the team likely keeping Mathias Kiwanuka in his "joker" role, the team still has a need to inject some youth to the defensive line, which makes it no shock that Carradine is on the Giants radar. He's an explosive end who has a great first step and creates a mismatch against offensive lineman or tight ends who try to stop him.

So despite a devastating injury that ended his senior year, Carradine should be able to find a team willing to take him on Thursday night. But the question is, will he still be there when the Giants are picking at number 19?

lso…

Tags: Bjoern Werner, Football, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Tank Carradine

31 Responses to “Florida State DE Tank Carradine on New York Giants’ Radar”

1.  demo3356 says:

Would be a great pick at 49, not at 19

2.  The Original G Man says:

@NotoriousOHM
    Talking to D.J. Fluker, easy to see how energetic + enthusiastic he is. Considers himself a leader. NYG would be happy if he’s there at 19

@JennyVrentas
    Alabama’s DJ Fluker says Giants like that he’s a physical tackle. Would be excited if he got picked by Super bowl-winning team like Giants.

@TomRock_Newsday 53m
    Just spoke with DJ Fluker. Haven’t seen that kind of energy level since Mitch Petrus.

~~~~

@JennyVrentas
    Miss St CB Darius Slay said Giants called a few days ago asking for his info and about his health, “telling me I’m a hot prospect for them.”

3.  Begiant says:

I think the Giants have to be going into this draft looking to build the team inside-out. They need to build the lines in order to enhance the offense and defense. On the offensive side the skill positions are already in place. Eli, Cruz, Nicks, Randle, Myers, Robinson, Wilson, and Brown provide players who can or have the potential to make big time impacts on football games. However if Eli does not have the time or if Wilson and Brown do not have the blocking needed to facilitate this high octane offense then we will end up 9-7 agian. Similarly, on the defense we need to beef up in the middle in order to ignite the pass rush on the outside and stop the running games of these read option teams. I think Reese will be looking to readapt his philosophy by taking an early LBer. A LB who can play all three downs…someone who can patrol the middle like a FS, cover TEs and stop the run. Alec Ogletree is the player with the talent to do those things after a year in the NFL. However, when selecting LBers early, Reese has shown that he values production over talent. Sintim was the sack leader in his conference and Greg Jones and Philip Dillard both had high tackle numbers. Jaquan Williams is the exception of course. This is why I predicted the Giants to select Manti T’eo. If he can blow up run plays and drop back in coverage in zones (7 picks last year) then he would instantly give us what we need. We already added to our DTs in FA and are developing Austin and Kuhn. I think DE would be a good pick as well, because it would add to the front seven and keep the pass rush young. I would be fine with either Manti T’eo or Alec Ogletree. However I understand that the Giants probably will not draft them.

4.  norm says:

@TomRock_Newsday 53m

Uggggh… seeing Petrus and Fluker in the same sentence – regardless of the context – dampens my enthusiasm for him as the pick.

•  Begiant says:

I originally thought he should be a late first round pick. However now it seems he can be a realistic target at 19. I can’t say I will be displeased. If he can be a great run blocker he would instantly upgrade the oline. The pass blocking will come and he only let up four sacks last year. In addition Brewer, or even fluker, could be looked at for guard so drafting Fluker may not be the kiss of death for Brewer.

I don’t get this he only gave up 4 sacks? Really? He’s a RT for a running team that rarely is behind the chains or passing to catch up. To me 4 sacks is a glaring negative when he played with such a great OL.

•  kujo says:

He’s got all-world potential, and under the tutelage of Grand Maister Flaherty, that potential would be realized. If he’s the pick at 19, we will have a decade-long piece on the OL.

He’s got potential I give you that but it’s not all world due to his feet. He can be very good he can be very McKenzie like. I’m not convinced that Brewer can’t be as good. Brewer was raw when drafted bu now has a few years in the system. I don’t see Fluker winning the job and his non versatility hurts him in being an active back up on game day. I just think he has too many holes to like him at 19. I can agree with you OL wise on Cooper but the Bama guys I’m not a big fan of at 19.

•  kujo says:

I think you are way off on this, but that’s par for the course this offseason :)

•  kujo says:

I’d also say that Kareem was the best right tackle in football while he was here. If that’s all Fluker turns out to be, we’d be just fine

We have different concerns. I notice that some like yourself by drafting OL are worried about the running game. While I’m more worried about protecting Eli. Eli has managed well so far but I rather improve our OL pass blocking wise because I believe we will be a passing team with Eli in his prime. We want to be able to run the ball well but we are not reverting back to 2008. I rather prospects like Cooper and Watson that project as excellent pass blockers. I’m not saying your wrong, just explaining my concerns are different.

“It didn’t take Browns linebacker Quentin Groves long to get in trouble in his new town.

Groves, who signed with the Browns as a free agent earlier this offseason, was arrested for solicitation … Groves was arrested at a hotel after responding to an ad from a prostitute promising “full service” that turned out to be a sting run by police in the towns of Beechwood and Orange along with the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Department.”

Dammit !!!

6.  JBeast says:

First off I want to say a big thank you to Kujo for putting the mock off together. The different mocks were pretty awesome to go through.

I think rlhjr draft would be the most ideal draft I would love for him to win the book with that draft lol.

Norm’s all Jones draft would be perfect if it was Jarvis Jones, Datone Jones, Barrett Jones and Don Jones lol.

As for my mock draft I think this is the year JR bucks the trend and go for a LBer in the first round. I think Cooper, Warmack and Trufaunt will all be gone. Javis I think will solve the pass rushing problem and the need for a LB. I wanted Jon Bostic in the fourth but I think he will be gone in the third so Reddick would be a good second choice. The OL would be upgraded with Warford but would still need some work so maybe a late round pick of a G.

7.  The Original G Man says:

@ebenezersamuel 9s
    Margus Hunt did not visit the Giants, he said, but team did call him to make sure they have his information and cell correct.

•  wlubake says:

Him and every other prospect. As you all saw in my mock, I hope he’s our guy. That said, this information tells very little.

Personally, I think all the Tank buzz indicates that we won’t draft him. Misdirection.

8.  The Original G Man says:

@art_stapleton 4m
    Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson says he hasn’t sensed much interest from #NYG. “They called me to get my draft day info, but that’s about it”

•  norm says:

I noted weeks ago that Reese’s DT shopping spree in free agency all but ruled out any possibility of a DT at 19.

Anyone taken at 19 gets a free pass to the roster and there’s simply no room left at DT to allow for a guaranteed roster spot there.

If the Giants do take a DT, it will be a late round/UDFA project who they can safely stash on the practice squad this year.

•  kujo says:

Earliest I see a DT is in the 4th, and that’s if there’s a really superb prospect. Short of that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us pass on drafting a DT entirely.

I do think if Star falls he’s someone they would look at. Richardson is in the same mold as Austin and Jenkins. So if we haven’t given up on Austin, Richardson just doesn’t make much sense. But Star can play the role Patterson will play long term. And he also would give is some flexibility in if we want to re-sign Joseph.

I do think it’s far more likely we draft a DT in the 5th-7th rounds but I just won’t completely rule it out.

•  kujo says:

Star isn’t falling to #19 unless it comes out that he’s been sucking on some Hawaiian kid’s ding dong or something.

It’s the same chances as Anash falling to us. Both are unlikely but with this draft I see some strange things happening. There will be that “Bruce Irving” pick that catches everyone by surprise. And I expect 2 QBs to be taken before us. Maybe 6 OL really go before our pick. I just see someone we wouldn’t expect available at 19.

9.  kujo says:

Here hoping this is the last time we see any connection between potential-first-round-pick DJ Fluker and absolute-f*cking-retard Mitch Petrus.

•  F0XLIN says:

Unless he is the Giants draft pick and takes the field in a belly shirt ala Petrus in Seattle with a full sprint to the field

10.  GmenMania says:

About Cruz. . .

I have a friend who knows him personally. My friend told me that yesterday when he talked to Cruz, he said that he was going to sign the Giants offer in a couple of weeks, and that he was just biding his time. This is a very reliable source, and the info comes straight from Cruz.

Thought you guys might want to know that a resolution is forthcoming.