April 18th, 2013 at 9:50 AM

On day one of the offseason program, the New York Giants made their goals for the 2013-2014 season crystal clear: they're there to play in and win Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLIfe Stadium. Anything short of that is a failure, and that powerful message was relayed to the players the moment they stepped foot in the facilities.

'Champions' photo (c) 2012, LearningLark - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"You're in here because you're hosting the Super Bowl and you want to be in it," offensive lineman Will Beatty said on Thursday. "Straight up, that's the goal. … They made it very clear."

Beatty also expressed his happiness in being back with the Giants, and says he has no regrets with how early he re-signed with the team.

"In hindsight, yeah, we did the right thing," he said. "The contract that they offered me was great."

Meanwhile, there was still no sign of wide receiver Victor Cruz, who has until Friday to receive an offer sheet from other teams. But while he's focused on getting as much money as he can from the Giants, cornerback Corey Webster said he had absolutely not problem taking less if it meant good things for Big Blue.

"Whatever it needed to be for the team. I wanted to be a Giant," Webster said. "Didn't even think about it."

Finally, newly signed kicker Josh Brown said he received the message from Giants coaches loud and clear.

"I've played in one Super Bowl. Now the goal is to win one," he said.

Tags: Football, MetLife Stadium, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Super Bowl XLVIII, Will Beatty

11 Responses to “New York Giants Set Goals, Send Message to Players: Win Super Bowl XLVIII in Home Stadium”

1.  Dirt says:

The ultimate would be beating the Jets in the Super Bowl this year. Too bad there’s no fvcking way the Jets are getting any closer than Woody’s luxury box.

I’ll take beating anyone.

I think that unlike “Building a Bridge”, the fact that the Super Bowl will be played in their stadium should genuinely motivate a team that includes players who come to camp already having two rings. We sometimes forget what a hard, brutal, game this is, and how small the difference between winning and losing becomes. A team needs to have spirit, a genuine motivation that is not artificially created by the coaching staff, and the will to break through the obstacles that will be in every team’s path this season.

I’ll tell you one thing. With the teams they’ve got in San Francisco and Seattle the Giants need to be intent upon having a good enough season that they gain home field advantage in the playoffs. It would be hard for even a terrific team to go out to Seattle and win during the playoffs, and the Niners are going to be so loaded in 2013 that you really need to play them in an elimination game on your home field or face an uphill battle. So TC needs to make sure, and the team leaders need to make sure, that they don’t slump and don’t take the approach that “we’re professionals so we can pace ourselves and get hot late”. That is not a good prescription this season in the NFC.

Webster adds that there are “no excuses” for his play last season. Vows to return to form.

Perfect attitude. While maybe he lost a little bit and wont be his 2011 self I fully expect a very competent Webster this year because both his pride and money are at stake.

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

I love the message sent to the players here. But i’m a bit skeptical about these guys going into this season.

RT @RVacchianoNYDN: Corey Webster on his own play last season: “I didn’t see what I wanted to see on the film.”

Nicks says he “won’t negotiate contract through media” — he’ll let his agent handle it. Says he expects to be full go by training camp.

Hakeem Nicks is not interested in answering questions about Victor Cruz. Says media will need to call Cruz for an interview.

6.  norm says:

Here’s my issue with JPP and why I am troubled by his insistence that he was a ‘dominating’ player who was “putting pressure on the quarterbacks 24/7“ last year.

In two years, Reese is going to have a big decision to make with JPP. Does he move forward with him as the unquestioned cornerstone of the defense and pay him a salary commensurate with the best defenders in the game? Or does he let him walk and allow another GM to vastly overpay for someone who is a good – but not great – player?

I know that it’s still considered the height of apostasy around here to suggest that JPP is anything less than a superstar. But as of right now, we’re still talking about a player who had one fabulous year and one above average one (he gets a mulligan for his rookie season) Hardly a large enough sample size to anoint anyone a “superstar,” regardless of how incredible his 2011 season was.

The history of pro sports is littered with the carcasses of one-year wonders; the NFL is no different. I’m not going to speculate here as to what caused JPP’s dropoff in play between 2011 and 2012 (Extra weight? Scheme? Not having fun?) Honestly, I don’t really care what the reasons were. Nor would I find such a dropoff especially alarming in a player with a more established body of work. Great players in their prime have down years all the time, for a variety of reasons.

As noted already, JPP has not yet amassed the requisite body of work to be considered “great.” Last year, while hardly horrible, fell far short of that lofty adjective. Problem is we’re now reading comments from JPP which suggest that as far as he was concerned, he was the same dominating force in 2012 that we saw in 2011.

Speaking only for myself, that’s exactly what I do not want to hear out of JPP. I’d have been much more comforted in reading that he was greatly disappointed in his 2012 season; knows that he’s capable of far better; and is redoubling his efforts to maximize his talent. But when I read him say that he was largely satisfied with his play in 2012, that’s troubling. He apparently still thinks of himself as one of the best defenders in the game. That’s all well and good from a confidence standpoint. But as a self-assessment of his play in 2012, it’s waaaay off the mark.

Far as I’m concerned, 2013 is a make or break year for JPP. I want to see him approach (if not equal or hurdle) the high bar he set for himself in 2011. If his 2013 season looks much like what we saw from him in 2012, I’m not sure that a great season in his contract year of 2014 would assuage any concerns that I (and more importantly, Reese) may have over his commitment to his craft and desire to achieve a consistent standard or excellence.

I understand your concern but I have heard other comments to lead me think JPP himself feels he can be much better. He might not be the self reflecting type that’s going to slam himself but as long as he has the idea of getting better and works towards that I think he will be fine. I’m just not worried about JPP. If going to worry about JPP then I’m worried about everyone because there are 51 guys I’m more worried about.

•  norm says:

51 other guys are not going to be looking for a max deal following the 2014 season.

Almost every one of those 51 other guys are expendable and can be easily replaced.

The question is not whether JPP can be a good or very good player for this team. Of that I have little doubt. What I want to know is will his level of play approach that of the “superstar” many here believe he is; that he himself believes he is; and that deserves being one of the highest paid players in the game beyond 2014.

That is the $64,000,000 question.

7.  CT GIANT says:

Very rarely do you find players like Ahmad Bradshaw a 7Th round pick who when he got his chance in Buffalo, ran wild and secured his place on this team.
    He always took the attitude of “just trying to help this team”, never heard him pound his chest, “saying look at me”, see I told you.

JPP IQ is minus 2, and sorry but a fact, and he came from literally nowhere, to a team in the media capitol, which says he’s a beast, a freak, a Reese pick, can’t miss, all that and a one year great season with a great defensive line, all on the same page.

Coughlin, says he needs to get down to 265, I totally agree, and behind close doors, I expect JPP isn’t quite as brash, simply hope not, many players have one good season, and the media starts comparing other players to him, unfortunately, JPP has, bought in!
    I don’t like Tuck, really, his play, his injuries, there isn’t a real voice on defensive , other then Rolle, who might stand up to JPP, other then Kiwi, who has always been under the radar, in the media, a solid player, man, and person.
    My point is, someone need to mentor this kid, and remember he is a kid, only 24, 25, I’ll check and simply not that bright. maybe Fewell can talk with him, maybe not, but Coughlin wants more, so does Reese, asking Strahan , to work with JPP.

Lets hope someone gets to JPP, who can be his mentor, can make some sense to him, and advise him how to conduct his business going forward better.
    CT GIANT

8.  CT GIANT says:

Jason Pierre Paul 24 Years Old.
    CT GIANT