April 18th, 2013 at 3:25 PM
By Doug Rush

'Victor Cruz' photo (c) 2011, scott mecum - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ On Wednesday, Justin Tuck gave his support to Victor Cruz in the contract negotiations with the New York Giants. Cruz was a no-show at the start of the Giants voluntary offseason workouts, as he has yet to sign a long-term contract with the team.

On Thursday, another Giant has given Cruz their public support in his ongoing efforts for a new contract, quarterback Eli Manning.

Jenny Vrentas of the Newark-Star Ledger talked to the two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback and has said he wants his wide receiver with the club, but is doing what is necessary.

"He’s got to do what is in the best interests of him, and that’s usually staying away and putting pressure to try to get the deal done," Manning said.

The Giants placed a first-round tender on Cruz before the start of free agency, which would pay him around $2.879 million if he signed it, but is unlikely going to because he wants a long-term deal. Cruz has until Friday to receive an offer sheet from any of the other 31 NFL teams, in which the Giants could match it, or let Cruz leave and receive a first round pick in next week's 2013 NFL Draft.

It's unlikely that a team will want to want to make an offer, plus, Cruz has told his agents that he only wants to remain with the Giants long-term. Manning however, still remains confident that a deal will get done between the Giants and Cruz.

"I have a feeling I’ll see Victor here when the contract’s done," Manning said today in a press conference at Giants headquarters. "That’s my gut feel, and I could be wrong. If he’s back here earlier, then that will be a bonus."

Cruz did take part of the 2013 Manning Passing Academy last week along with Manning, Hakeem Nicks and Louis Murphy at Duke University to work on timing patterns and routes. We at Giants 101 felt that by Cruz taking part in the drills, it was a sign of good faith that Cruz wants to be a Giant.

But for right now, the 26-year-old Paterson native is not taking part of the Giants voluntary workouts, but he at least has the support of two of the Giants captains.

As of right now, the Giants have an offer out to Cruz that's worth more than $7-plus million per season with a substantial amount of guaranteed money in the deal. Paul Schwartz of the New York Post said that the Giants offer could be in the range of $29-36 million for five years with anywhere from $15-21 million guaranteed.

There have been reports that Cruz is looking for more money in a deal, but the Giants wide receiver has yet to publicly say whether that is true or not.

Either way, the contract negotiations between the two sides continue and once the deadline for the first-round tender passes, you might see agents Tom Condon and Jay Z work to broker a deal between the Giants and Cruz even sooner.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

12 Responses to “Giants’ Eli Manning on Victor Cruz: “Putting Pressure & Staying Away are in His Best Interest””

1.  Dan Peterson says:

It’s sad that I just don’t really care anymore.

Honestly, I love Eli, Nicks, Tuck AND Cruz…

But I don’t give one tapered, corn-infused, half-floating turd what any of them say about this subject.

This site needs a forum…

2.  norm says:

Man, there seems to be no end in the number of permutations of this Cruz story.

Hopefully, there are enough Young Whales jokes to keep up with them all…

[insert Young Whales joke here]

•  Dan Peterson says:

You should make an [insert Young Whales joke here] shirt, and try to outsell the actual YW shirts.

•  norm says:

I just ran that idea by my marketing people who reminded me that a targeted sales goal of only eleven garments or so is not, practically speaking, a solid foundation for a start up venture.

I think as a GM you perspective is different for playing draft picks. You have new toys and you want to see what they can do. A coach is concerned about winning the next game. I don’t think the conflict between the two is much. I also think while TC maybe has played rookies less than some want by year 2 if they are good enough they see all the time they deserve. I like Robinson but if he doesn’t get on the field this year it’s because Pascoe is better. Same with Brewer and Diehl. If Murphy wins the 3rd WR job it’s because he performed better. Same with Brown over wilson for starting RB or Rolle over Hosley a slot CB.

While i’m excited as anyone for the draft the cold truth is I don’t expect much contribution if the roster is as good as I think now and we are not overly injured. We have our starting OL back and if we replace Diehl, Brewer has been trained to do so. We have Randle primed for the #3 WR but Murphy and Jernigan still around. Even if Cruz holds our his game one replacement in the slot would be Jernigan. We have our top 3 CBs returning. I know Webster was bad last year but he will have to look pretty bad in camp not to be given a chance to start. Hosley struggled but skill wise seems like the perfect slot CB. We have a top 3 a safety that each played important roles last year and look to do the same. Our top 3 at DE looks to be JPP, Tuck and Kiwi. And at DT we have Joseph and a bevy of vets fighting for playing time along with Austin and Kuhn.

My point is the only real chance for a starting position and real playing time I see is at linebacker at least right away. There are no established starters because no starters return. I would be surprised if we made a top 3 round LB selection and a another selection. Our LBs have some ability but not enough proven pedigree that anyone of them is a given to start as of right now.

Condon is Eli’s agent, and Peyton’s, and has helped make each a very rich young man. Undoubtedly, Eli helped push Cruz to Condon and away from the dummy who had been his agent. We won’t hear any negatives from Eli regarding Cruz. That’s not the way the game is played.

•  jfunk says:

Also, as a franchise QB that has never had to deal with negotiations on this level (these guys are effectively made the highest paid player, or there abouts, every time their contract comes due), it would hardly be prudent to comment on the negotiating tactics of the unwashed masses among NFL players that actually have to play hardball to get their market value.

That would kind of be like giving commentary on how struggling single mothers should spend their grocery store money in between bites of porterhouse at the uptown steak house.

GOAT, I generally agree with your view regarding rookies, but think that there are a few little variations.

IF we get a really good corner I think he will be given a real opportunity to beat out Webster or Hosley, and in any case will probably play this season at some point.

I don’t think ANYONE has absolutely tied up the second spot on the depth chart at defensive tackle, and a rookie could compete for that role if one is drafted.

We could very well see a rookie wind up as a key returner on special teams (although Wilson, Jernigan, Ross and Randle will all be looked at as the incumbents).

And of course a rookie might have a shot at starting at linebacker if he’s good enough. I do, though, think that Williams, Connor/Herzlich, and Rivers will be pretty tough to beat out and are the likely starters.

My point is more starting roles. At CB that’s possible but I guess I view Webster and Hosley as better than some. At DT from what we have seen with all the young DTs we have drafted it’s just hard to see. I think it’s more a positional thing with DT rather than saying our DT group is rock solid. And I trust that if Jenkins and Patterson are healthy it’s going to be hard for a rookie DT to beat them out. These guys aren’t Rock Benard.

I don’t think there’s a big role special team wise for our rookie class.

Williams is small and just might only be a nickel LB. Rivers is injury prone and if he’s banged up he can give a talented rookie a chance. Conner/Herzlich just might not be talented enough to keep a rookie off the field that has some idea what they are doing.

6.  jfunk says:

I think the Coughlin not playing young guys thing is overblown. Yes, he’s certainly on the stodgy side of the curve, but the guy knows what he’s doing. When and where he uses them, they tend to succeed. Guys that never get much of a chance from Coughlin tend to disappear from the league entirely. I take that as a sign that he knows what he’s doing.

GMs are always going to want to see their new acquisitions in action. That’s certainly natural, but there’s a reason GMs manage and coaches coach.

I have no problem with Jerry poking Coughlin here and there about getting some of the kids on the field. I also think it’s reaching a bit to take those comments as some kind of validation of the theory that Coughlin is doing it wrong.

7.  nygiantfanatic4life says:

I am loyal to this Club’ s Laundry for life…Love the Laundry Respect the Players! (Cruz is a Cowboy in the closet)