April 17th, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Shortly after re-signing with the New York Giants in March, cornerback Aaron Ross made a comment about how playing Jacksonville was a nice "paid vacation" and he was glad to be "home." Having offended many Jaguars fans, Ross apologized for his comments, but has stood by his excitement about returning to the Big Apple. He reiterated that again on Tuesday.

'Stretch' photo (c) 2010, AJ  Guel - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

“I was hoping that I would have a chance to, but I didn’t know it was going to be so quick. I always had the Giants as a team in my heart," Ross said. "This is what I basically considered home; I won two rings here, was drafted here in the first round and spent five years here and I grew close relations with the guys and the coaches. So I always wanted to come back after my three-year stint in Jacksonville.”

In addition to once again expressing his happiness to be back with the Giants, Ross also offered some praise for the talent in their secondary and a hopeful look ahead to the 2013 season.

“We need everybody. The division that we are in now with RG3 and his receiving corps, with Vick and his receiving corps and, of course, the Dallas corps, you need four or five good corners that can play the whole year and guard those top-notch receivers as well as the quarterbacks," he added. "So I’m excited about the group. I really am. I feel like we have a great group back there. I’m excited that we have a great DB group back there. With our safeties helping us over the top and playing down in the box as well, I think the sky is the limit for us.”

Perhaps it's nothing, but does anyone else find it odd that Ross specifically pointed out Robert Griffin III and Michael Vick, but not Tony Romo? But … we digress.

As it relates to the secondary, there's no denying they have a lot of talented bodies. However, health, growth and a reversal of fortune will be the difference between a 2012-ish performance and something better.

Prince Amukamara, Corey Webster and Jayron Hosley will all need to return to health, with Webster needing a turnaround from a season ago, and Hosley needing to demonstrate second-year growth. The team will also need a depth safety — Will Hill or Tyler Sash — to step up and play a much larger role.

Bottom line? The pieces are there, but they just need to fall into place.

Tags: Football, Michael Vick, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Robert Griffin III

22 Responses to “Aaron Ross Thrilled to Be Back with New York Giants, Has High Hopes for Secondary in 2013”

1.  norm says:

As my parents would (annoyingly) remind my sister and I at the end of every family trip out of town, “The best part of any vacation is going back home again.”

Seems Aaron feels the same way.

2.  giantsou812 says:

what a load of crap.
    31st ranked defense means you suck.
    getting cut means you suck.
    what a delusional load of crap
    We need to draft some starting corners, what we have now are second teamers.

I guess you never watched the NFL. Things are not static in the NFL. Teams routinely go from good to bad and vice versa. Yes, we will draft some players on defense but they will likely not play large roles expect for maybe a linebacker. The improvement will come from players improving and the free agents we added.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Goat, I agree with you that there will be some improvements, BUT, the defense sucked last year. it was pathetic.

I think we all agree there it just doesn’t mean all is lost because there is talent.

•  Begiant says:

The inconsistent offense cost us multiple games. The defense was not as pathetic as many remember. The offense needs to get the ball in the endzone. I think a healthy Nicks will help, but we need to improve near the goaline.

3.  LUZZ says:

Webster, Ross, TT, Prince, and Holsey is far from a load of crap. All 5 of these guys when healthy are capable of playing at a high level.

4.  LUZZ says:

rehabs are getting more sophisticated every year. I’m hopeful TT will be a contributer. I’m also assuming Webster will perform in his contract year.

I don’t think TT is anyone the Giants can count on in planning for 2013. He’s a player like an undrafted free agent that will hopefully recover and play well enough to make the team. I think moving him to safety makes sense because TT wasn’t the fastest even when healthy. Even losing %5 off of where he was might require a move to safety.

5.  Sintexo says:

In response to the All-Jones draft, I present the Initial’s draft. Ran out of DJ’s, but I got some other J’s in there too.

Your score is: 3791 (Drafting Ability: A, Player Quality A-, Future Draft Picks: N/A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 19: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 17: Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 19: D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston (A)
    Round 4 Pick 19: D.J. Swearinger, FS, South Carolina (A)
    Round 5 Pick 19: A.J. Klein, ILB, Iowa State (A)
    Round 6 Pick 19: Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State (A)
    Round 7 Pick 19: P.J. Lonergan, C, LSU (A)
    Round 7 Pick 47 (COMP): T.J. Knowles, TE, Sacramento State (A)

6.  NC Giant says:

The “All Initials Team” made me think of a very funny clip. Safe for work…aside from the fact that you will be laughing hysterically!

7.  Hanshi says:

Justin Tuck on Kiwi at DE:
    But I know his heart is set on playing D-end and I think that’s what he’d be successful the most in.

“But that’s not my decision. That’s obviously Kiwi’s and our defensive coordinator’s (decision).”

Interesting post from another board:

“Some trends under JR I’ve noticed
    1) The consensus pick is almost always wrong (exception being Kenny Phillips)

2) The 1st rounder will tend to be a risk that most GM’s wouldn’t take (exception being KP and Prince)

3) The 1st rounder will be high upside, elite or freakish athlete, 2nd rounder tends to be 1st round upside that has slipped through the cracks for some reason.

4) The 1st rounder will play (Yes, Wilson played a significant role last season. He was the best KO returner in the league last year and finished all of 1 yard behind Doug Martin in total yardage)

5) the Day 1 & 2 picks tend to be players that affect the passing game, be it pass blocker, rusher, DB, or WR. (Wilson being the exception here).

6) The Giants like height/weight/speed prospects with long arms and big hands. (Prince being the exception due to short arms and small hands, but his H/W/S is still excellent)

7) The 1st rounder tends to be picked 7-12 picks below where they are expected to go. (JPP was 6th on the Giants board that year, and IIRC Wilson & Randle were both about 20)”

•  Begiant says:

Nicks is not an elite or freakish athlete.

•  Hanshi says:

He’s not?

•  F0XLIN says:

From a combine perspective he is not, on the field he absolutely is. Throw in his 5x hands and you got one heck of a freak

I agree in some ways but he’s an above average athlete, his burst is underrated. I remember he was compared to Boldin a lot but in hindsight it’s follish because Nicks ran in the 4.4s and on the field is clearly way faster.

But then there are Nick’s hands which add a freak aspect, especially as a WR. But I do admit I would have thought Britt over Nicks. Though hands for a WR can’t but understated.

This has been my take in general. That’s why I don’t see us picking guys like Werner, Fluker or Teo. Fluker is an average athlete even as a RT. Werner and Teo we have discussed. Warmack or Cooper is unlikely due to the position but I can see it more from Cooper because he’s a great athlete for a guard. Kenny Vaccaro who I have heard a few mention is just average athletically so I don’t see it.

Guys like Trufant, Hayden, Rhodes, Tank and Ogletree fit our mode. I think Ogletree fits as a LB because he improves our pass defense in the linebacker area which was maybe our greatest deficiency last year.

Jarvis Jones is a player I like and I think could be a good fit but he doesn’t fit our mode as a superior athlete for the position.

There are several player like Anash, Star and Richardson that fit our mode if they unexpectedly fall to us.