April 14th, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Issues between the New York Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis are ongoing. The team is allegedly engaged in active trade talks with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and a recent report courtesy of Rich Cimini of ESPN New York suggests Gang Green is especially disappointed in Revis' decision to go outside of the organization for the surgery done to repair his torn ACL.

'New York Jets Defensive Back Darrelle Revis' photo (c) 2011, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Rather than having doctors at Atlantic Health repair his ACL back in October, Revis went against the grain and reached out to New York Giants orthopedic surgeon Dr. Russell Warren to conduct the surgery.

"I have a great deal of confidence in our doctors and training staff. However, ultimately, these decisions are up to the preference of the player, and we respect Darrelle’s decision. We are all just focused on making sure he has the resources and support he needs for a successful recovery," Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said in attempt to downplay the issue.

Given the recent string of repeat ACL tears by many Giants — Terrell Thomas, Brian Witherspoon, Domenik Hixon and Clint Sintim — many Giants fans are probably laughing at Revis' decision. And given that recent history, it's understandable that the Jets would be both concerned and upset. However, there's no indication that Giants team Doctors, or surgeon Dr. Russell Warren, did anything wrong during any of those surgeries/recovery.

It's also worth pointing out that although T2 had dual ACL tears (and three overall), Dr. Russell Warren did not conduct any of his repairs. The first two were done by Dr. Arthur Ting, with the third being done by Dr. James Andrews.

Tags: Darrelle Revis, Football, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

29 Responses to “New York Jets Upset That Darrelle Revis Used New York Giants Surgeon to Repair ACL”

1.  Begiant says:

Interesting, Dr. James Andrews has received a lot of noteriety from the RGIII injury spectacle that occured at the end of last year. I wonder if he is a better Docter/Surgeon and if the decision to have him conduct the operation will lead to a healthy T2. Anyway, I have no problem with Revis using the Giants doctors and would have no problem if a Giants player, say Eli, used a Jets’ doctor. They are literally minutes apart and it is one of the perks of sharing a stadium.

2.  Begiant says:

Going back to the topic of the previous article

I think it is great that the Giants are able to nab one or two UDFA every year that stick to the final roster. I know some teams have more success than us. However assuming that we get one or two UDFA studs then we should be looking at 8-9 rookies that will be on our roster this fall. I think the Giants already have a lot of good players on the roster and 8 more to bring in competition will be a huge plus. Some of the positions that need a player or two are DE, S, WR, T/G (depending on Mosely and McCants) and LB. Fortunately all of those positions only need backups. Going into the draft we should be able to draft BPA in the first round which is a huge benefit as the talent does not seem to be as strong as it has been. Then, in the later rounds we can fill in key holes in our depth chart with promising talented players that are a year or two away.

3.  dremac82 says:

Thats fine with me! He can also use our locker room and take up some cap space as long as hes starting opposite side the Prince.

4.  GIANTT says:

Im not sure Im in accordance with your comment that

” many Giants fans are probably laughing at Revis’ decision ”

the NY Giants surgeons didnt cause the problems , they only fixed them .

Actually , if you think about it , who better to go to than the guys who have done a
    lot of that type of surgery recently ? ( thats a jab at the training staff more than anything ) . Even they may be a victim of circumstance . Some players are more likely to get injured this way than others . The turf used at Giants stadium may have an effect . Who knows ? but to blame the surgeons or cast any type of shadow on their abilities looks like the wrong end of the stick to me

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

You’re a regular reader on this site. You have to know people blame the docs and staff 24/7. The statement isn’t outlandish. It’s a daily thing.

5.  CT GIANT says:

DR. James Andrews is considered a top flight specialist in sports injuries over the years, with much success. The NFL, NBA, MLB, all have had players sent to him for evaluation, he’s a specialist in these ACL, MCL, Scopes etc.
    Personally, I wish Revis the best as I do T2, who will try to make his way back onto the field, like KP, and Andre Brown, both had similar issues, but KP was much more serious, but only know what I read.
    Not sure why were talking about this anyways, it’s always been a player’s choice.
    CT GIANT

6.  F0XLIN says:

None of the Giants surgeons operated on T2, it W’s dr ting then Andrews

7.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Found a free fun online game for all you Dratniks out there:

Pretty cool…just scenarios and what not. Here’s who I wound up with:

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 19: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina (A)
    Round 2 Pick 27 (N.E.): D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston (B-)
    Round 3 Pick 5 (PHI): Barrett Jones, C, Alabama (A)
    Round 3 Pick 29 (N.E.): A.J. Klein, ILB, Iowa State (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 26 (SEA): Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford (C)
    Round 5 Pick 5 (SEA): T.J. McDonald, FS, Southern California (B-)
    Round 5 Pick 19: Josh Boyce, WR, TCU (C-)
    Round 6 Pick 19: Marc Anthony, CB, California (A)
    Round 7 Pick 19: Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky (F)
    Round 7 Pick 47 (COMP): Sean Renfree, QB, Duke (A)

•  Dan Peterson says:

Man, that game is pretty fun, but I don’t know what the heck they want from me for a score… I traded down and got Cooper at 28, ended up with 13 total picks, got guys like Bostic, Hayden, Nixon, Lemonier… and came in dead last.

•  JBeast says:

Awesome little game! Ranked 9th not bad. My picks were:
      Round 1 pick 30 Johnathan Cooper OG
      Round 2 pick 17 Arthur Brown OLB
      Round 2 pick 28 DJ Hayden CB
      Round 3 pick 16 Jon Bostic ILB
      Round 3 pick 19 BW Webb CB
      Round 3 pick 30 Alvin Bailey OG
      Round 4 pick 20 DJ Swearinger FS
      Round 5 pick 19 Khaled Holmes OC
      Round 6 pick 19 Anthony McCloud DT
      Round 6 pick 20 Chase Thomas OLB
      Round 7 pick 19 Miguel Maysonet RB
      Round 7 pick 47 Brad Sorensen QB

As you can see I traded down a few times I tried trading up in the second round to try and get Carridine but wasn’t able to.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I would have to change my pants if we walked away with the draft that you had. Wow! We can hope!

•  Kevros says:

Fun game…

Round 1 Pick 22 (STL): Alec Ogletree, OLB, Georgia (A)
      Round 1 Pick 28 (DEN): D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama (A-)
      Round 2 Pick 17: Cornellius Carradine, DE, Florida State (B-)
      Round 2 Pick 22 (MIA): Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina (B-)
      Round 3 Pick 3 (DET): D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston (B)
      Round 3 Pick 19: Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida (A)
      Round 3 Pick 27 (HOU): Le’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State (B+)
      Round 4 Pick 19: Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse (A)
      Round 5 Pick 19: Khaled Holmes, C, Southern California (A)
      Round 6 Pick 19: Michael Williams, TE, Alabama (B+)
      Round 7 Pick 19: Anthony McCloud, DT, Florida State (A)

8.  kujo says:

Andrew,

Was your “Noooo!” response to Te’o a thread or two ago a Michael Scott/The Office reference? Because if so, I got it and loved it.

9.  kujo says:

By the way, I saw norm’s generous offer to provide a prize for the mock off yesterday, and rest assured that I am going to figure out a way to determine a “winner” in this little thing we do here on G101. Problem is that I don’t think there’s ever been anyone who has correctly guessed more than 1 draft pick, and some years there are none! But I’ll figure it out between now and 2 weeks from now, so if you want in on the fun–and want a shot at that awesome book norm unearthed–send your 4 round predictions to g101mockoff@gmail.com!

I suggest a dinner date with Manti Te’o.

•  Dirt says:

That’s the genius of norm, there will be no winner!

In all seriousness, I bet that book is dope. My wife’s 89 year old grandmother got me two books for my last birthday – Great Teams of Pro Football (1964) and The NFL’s Official Encyclopedia History of Professional Football (1973). The pictures in the latter are simply awesome.

Someone’s gonna get an awesome book – well done norm!

•  Dirt says:

An excerpt for the Neanderthals who hate on Goddell’s push for safety:

1906: In intercollegiate football the pass is made legal and the flying wedge illegal in an effort to make the game safer after President Theodore Roosevelt threatens to abolish it because of a growing mortality rate.

•  kujo says:

His All-Jones draft could backfire on him if his goal is to offload that book!

10.  demo3356 says:

New York Jets should are just pissed that they are the New York Jets..