April 9th, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Once upon a time, UFC fighter Matt Mitrione was a member of the New York Giants. In fact, he played nine games at defensive tackle for Big Blue in 2002 after being signed as an undrafted rookie free agent. However, his NFL career would be short-lived, and despite a later stint on the Minnesota Vikings practice squad (2005), Mitrione would turn to the world of mixed martial arts.

'110929-A-GI410-144' photo (c) 2011, Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Center - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

After a mildly impressive performance on UFC's The Ultimate Fighter, in which he was eliminated in the quarterfinals, Mitrione (nicknamed "Meathead") would go on to compile a 6-2 record in the UFC, including an eye-opening 19-second knockout win over Philip De Fries on Sunday. But, as it has in the past, Mitrione's mouth got him in trouble and he found himself suspended on Monday after making several transphobic comments about transgender fight Fallon Fox.

"[He is a] lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak," Mitrione said.

In January, the UFC released a code of conduct for their fighters, and Mitrione was one of the first to violate. Following his comments and the subsequent suspension, the organization released an official statement on the matter.

"The UFC was appalled by the transphobic comments made by heavyweight Matt Mitrione today in an interview on 'The MMA Hour,'" the statement read. "The organization finds Mr. Mitrione's comments offensive and wholly unacceptable and – as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC's code of conduct – Mr. Mitrione's UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated. The UFC is a friend and ally of the (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community, and expects and requires all 450 of its athletes to treat others with dignity and respect."

In his nine games with the Giants, Mitrione made four tackles.

Tags: Fallon Fox, Football, Matt Mitrione, Minnesota, Minnesota Vikings, New York, New York Giants, NFL

38 Responses to “Former New York Giants DT Matt Mitrione Suspended by UFC for Ripping Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox”

Repost:

I don’t think it’s a matter of Jacobs versus Scott. In my view it’s Jacobs or Torian and skill wise I rather have Torian at this point because he can backup Brown as a short yardage runner and is more capable of fulling a larger role if needed. To me Scott’s spot will be challenged by a rookie draft pick and or rookie free agent. I think we need a 4th back with the speed and ability to help on KR that Scott brings. If another back is better so be it. I like Scott but I understand he’s fighting for his roster spot I just think regardless if it’s Scott that we need another guy that can supply speed besides Scott. Even if we don’t go that route then we need a guy that’s a 3rd down back like a Ware would can block and catch. Jacobs while I love his energy just doesn’t bring enough to the table in my view. Plus as a backup RB he has to play special teams and I don’t know if Jacobs is willing or able to be good at that role.

•  Begiant says:

Scott looked good on special teams last year in preseason. I think he blocked a punt and made some tackles. I might be confused with some training camp DB who had the same number in preseason but I think it was Darrel Scott.

I agree. I like Scott but I’m also a Maryland alum. But due to his injuries, his being a 7th round pick and little impact as of yet his roster spot will be challenged. I think Scott will surprise some and shine.

Matt Mitrione is an a$$hole. Can we please expunge him from Giants history?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

First off, Matt is NOT an A$$hole, just not afraid to speak his mind.

While I don’t agree with what he said, what society today is WAY too sensitive about what people say. People are offended way too easily. Matt DID take it over the line with his comments though.

That said, his suspension is just 3 months and likely won’t have another fight for another 5 months. But I enjoy watching meathead fight tremendously. He’s getting good man and not afraid to bang.

TBH I like him as a fighter too. Kind of amazed he’s got his game up to that level. But this bigot routine isn’t going to do him any good. He’d be better off using all that wind to work on his cardio.

•  Dan Peterson says:

How is society too sensitive if he took it over the line?

He didn’t say he didn’t agree with TG fighters, he said she was a freak. That’s an assault on a personal level and he said it in the nastiest way he could think of.

Not only is it clearly against the rules of his profession but it’s just plain dumb to publicly say things like that.

If he were having an intellectual discussion, weighing pros and cons, backing up his POV rationally and with respect, then you could say that people were too sensitive. I’d be offended if someone called me a disgusting, sociopathic, sick freak – wouldn’t you?

3.  LUZZ says:

Yep – It’s the new American culture. Everyone sitting around waiting for their own turn to be offended. I personally can’t wait for my turn to be offended. I’ll sit tight and wait for our leaders to tell me how I’ve been victimized, and if i vote for them, they’ll make sure I get mine.

•  Dan Peterson says:

Dude, in no imaginable way is what Mitrione said acceptable. Regardless of who the target is, saying that about someone is offensive.

Bull$hit. He’s a clown. And one with a big mouth that’s full of hate. Personally I don’t care which races, colors, creeds, genders, or ethnicities he finds objectionable. And this being America he’s free to spew his venom as he chooses. But the fact that he’s always associated with the New York Football Giants … a team I’m supported since childhood … I find that embarrassing. Embarrassing that this bit of pond scum ever got to wear the blue.

5.  Dirt says:

I hadn’t heard of this guy since his four tackles. Oh well.

To be honest, I don’t remember Mitrone, and I know absolutely nothing about UFC and don’t want to know. I cannot say I didn’t marvel at the Ali-Frasier fights and the Thrilla in Manila and the Rumble in the Jungle, but I always felt that boxing was a pretty horrid sport in which the poor kids who entered the ring knew that they were headed for serious head trauma that would ruin them down the road (making me a total hypocrite when I loved watching Ali fight).

I’ve never seen a UFC fight but assume they’re just as crazy. In the NFL, the head is exposed to damage incidentally to the action. In boxing, or UFC, that IS the action. I don’t see how anyone can support it, given what we now know about head trauma. I’m not criticizing those who do (well, maybe just a little). The people who fight presumably know what they’re risking so the fans are pretty blameless. I’m just saying I could not support the whole idea and would never attend one of those things.

But that’s just me. I once went to a bullfight in Pamplona, Spain. Never again. I rooted for the bulls.

All fighting arts present a moral dilemma. On a visceral level it’s quite a spectacle. But there’s an exploitive vein in it that can’t be ignored. Many are from poor, desperate upbringings. That said the UFC is the top of the food chain for MMA now that Pride is dead and buried. Mitrione is a solid fighter with a weirdly endearing personality. This bit tarnishes that part of him … but not his talent. The boy’s tough and a hard hitter. I wish he kept his yap shut.

•  clever username says:

you’re missing out on some of the best athletes in the world these days, and it’s trending a lot more towards that. yes, you still have a lot of poor people who just want to “fight” to make money, but when you look at some of the best that the sport has to offer, these guys are masters of their craft(s), many of which could’ve probably chosen any sport they wished and had success at a professional level. the management of the UFC definitely doesn’t care about the fighters future health at all and they are pretty much scumbags who take advantage of desperate people, so i see your point there, but i still love to watch someone like Anderson Silva or Jon Jones enter the cage and showcase their athleticism and skills

In football news, my friend’s son, the freelance scout, tells me that contrary to what we read a lot of scouts think this is a very deep draft and the reason some seem disappointed is that the guys at the top, the true studs, generally don’t play the glamor positions.

Sounds to me like the Giants may be able to address a lot of 2014 needs in a few weeks.

8.  demo3356 says:

I’m with BBG and Luzz..When did we become such a pussified, mambi pambi, society full of jackwads that cant wait to whine about being offended by everything? Suck it up Panzies.

9.  F0XLIN says:

The background of the story is there is a dude, who became a chick, and now wants to fight other chicks in the UFC. There is nothing inappropriate about his comments

•  demo3356 says:

Dont fuzzy up the bi*thcfest with pesky little things like facts…

•  Dan Peterson says:

Yeah, it’s like when that Jackie Robinson freak thought it was okay to play ball with the whites… what was he thinking, that he was actually human? LOL!

•  F0XLIN says:

Was Jackie born black? Or did he just think he was, altered his skin to become the first in baseball, even though he wasn’t

•  Dan Peterson says:

The point is, the struggle and resistance are the same. This isn’t some dude who put on a dress and started punching little girls. They have weight classes, for one thing, and the hormone therapy these people go through takes away any sort of ‘natural advantage’ you think they might have from being born a man. The same way that adding adrenaline, etc. makes you bigger and gives you an advantage, TG hormone therapy makes you, in every way other than childbirthing ability, a woman. So what’s the problem? Do you think she has naturally bigger hands or more solid elbows?

•  F0XLIN says:

I think she is a he, and he should not get in the ring with a she

•  Dan Peterson says:

But you have no reason why, other than your own opinion. Thinking its weird isn’t good enough.

Are you saying TG people just can’t be MMA fighters? If she can’t fight women and can’t compete physically against men? Fallon is 5’7 and 144 lbs, btw. There are several women in the division bigger.

Either way, my point was never to discuss whether or not the fights should be sanctioned… the point is that what ‘Meathead’ said is acceptable, according to societal norms, basic decency and his own employer. So – why is anyone trying to say it’s okay?

•  Dan Peterson says:

*isn’t acceptable

•  F0XLIN says:

Maybe I am ignorant, but nothing I read leads me to believe that a transgender has the same Test levels as a woman, they are higher as they have a the genetic makeup of a man. The same reason why unnatural test is illegal for a man, it should be for a woman, or man in your opinon

•  Dan Peterson says:

We must be looking at different tests. I mean, of course on a genetic level she will always show as male… perhaps that comes up as a ‘positive’ of some sort and is red flagged? I don’t know.

Any woman who works out fiercely and bodybuilds, etc. is going to show elevated levels of androgens and such though.

•  Matt says:

Really? You are comparing some transgender FREAK to Jackie Robinson. You are born with a certain skin color. This guy or girl was born a man or women and got a sex change now wants to fight girls? (Weirdo) Like transgender people are getting sprayed down with water hoses and attacked by german shepards just because they are marching for their rights. Maybe even gay people wearing leather assless chaps grinding on **** float made out paper mache or getting forced to the back of the bus? I love how these extreme “left ” views are being injected into professional sports as sort of propanganda for people to go along with it and what ever happened to freedom of speech in this country?

•  Dan Peterson says:

Not sure where freedom of speech comes in – the guy is in no legal trouble.

He, just like you, can go around screaming ‘freak’ and ‘weirdo’ all he wants with no repercussion from any government. Same reason WBC can protest soldier funerals with ‘god hates ****’ signs.

Even here on this website, you can’t use alleged ‘dirty’ words, but you think its okay in a civilized society to gay bash and insult?

One more time, since you didn’t seem to get it before: this isn’t about whether or not Fox should be allowed to fight, it’s about whether or not she should be permitted to be crudely insulted publicly.

10.  norm says:

Shouldn’t we be talking about Jim Cordle?