April 3rd, 2013 at 6:29 PM
By Doug Rush

The New York Giants have landed another free agent from their NFC East rivals. Mike Garafolo of USA Today has broken the news through Twitter that the Giants have signed defensive tackle Mike Patterson.

'Football: Jets v Eagles, Sep 2009 - 02' photo (c) 2009, Ed Yourdon - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Jenny Vrentas of the Newark-Star Ledger notes it's a one-year deal, but the money involved hasn't been announced yet.

Said I'd step away but chiming in: One-year deal for ex-Eagles DT Mike Patterson (signing first reported by @MikeGarafolo)

Patterson has spent his entire eight-year career with the Eagles, as he was a former first round pick of Philadelphia back in the 2005 NFL Draft.

During training camp of the 2011 season, Patterson suffered a seizure and was diagnosed with cerebal arteriovenus malformation.

Patterson also underwent brain surgery back in January of 2012 and only played in five games for the Eagles in 2012, recording just one sack.

Since 2006, Patterson has been a regular starter on the Eagles defensive line, starting in at least 14 games for Philadelphia.

Patterson adds even more depth to the defensive line at the tackle spot with former Eagle Cullen Jenkins being signed back in March to a three-year deal.

Plus, the Giants already have Linval Joseph, Shaun Rogers, Marvin Austin and Markus Kuhn, so there will be plenty of competition in camp for playing time.

It's another under-the-radar type signing for the Giants, but one that coule help improve a defense that faltered in 2012 to generate a pass rush, as well as stop the run.

Tags: Cullen Jenkins, Football, Linval Joseph, Markus Kuhn, Marvin Austin, Mike Patterson, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia

25 Responses to “New York Giants Sign Former Philadelphia Eagles DT Mike Patterson to One-Year Deal”

1.  norm says:

Repost (because I’ve been waiting three years to use this gag):

norm says:
    April 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Domenik’s last words to Dirt:

“I leave you now. You will now write it; you will interpret it; that’s your right. But as I leave you I want you to know…. just think how much you’re going to be missing. You don’t have Hixon to kick around any more.”

•  Dirt says:

So awesome!

But so true. I’ll just have to lay low for a while and wait for the next “fan favorite”, “good guy” who doesn’t do sh|t to emerge on the radar. Hell, Chase Blackburn arguably put us over the edge for winning the Super Bowl.

Hixon just sucked enough to land us Nicks and Cruz. Sucked so bad yet started over future Hall of Famer Nicks when it was clear he wasn’t worthy of carrying his shoulder pads bcack to the locker room (hence the 10 + 87 = 6 in my ressurected avatar).

But I don’t hate the guy. Not his fault that he sucks.

But remeber one thing: if the popular opinion is that Manning “made” Smith and Manningham (and maybe Cruz) on the way out the door, perhaps he had something to do with this JAG moving up from the trash heap (cut by Denver) to mediocre here.

I’m sure he’ll look amazing catching passes from Cam “Dan Marino” Newton next year. And I’m sure whoever-the-hell Reese plugs in at #3 WR, and maybe even #4 WR, will eclipse what he had last year.

Nice guy though. Really though.

•  Dirt says:

Also, is Fire Killdrive Lanes, Inc. no longer in business?

2.  Begiant says:

This is a very good signing. Mike Patterson gives us great depth at DT. Another very underated move by Jerry Reese. I used to think Reese was better at drafting than FA now I think the opposite.

3.  norm says:

And the Patterson signing now leaves me 99.99999999999% certain that the Giants won’t be selecting a DT on either of the first two days.

Book it.

•  Doug Rush says:

Which eliminates them from a pick like Sheldon Richardson…

•  Begiant says:

I don’t know about that. If a top DT, like Richardson, is there I don’t think Reese passes it up unless an equally big talent at another position is also there. I think it eliminates the second tier guys but not Sheldon Richardson.

4.  Chad Eldred says:

Nice move. We should be much stronger up the middle this year with a hopefully healthy Patterson and Rogers, Jenkins and Joseph. If this doesn’t give Austin incentive to show, then nothing will.

Would love to see Edelman on board too. The WR corps has needed a shakeup on the back end. Cutting ties with Barden and letting Hixon walk won’t hurt. I’m not a Hixon hater, but let’s get real, he is not a game changer at this point. I’m not sure why we would miss him, he played two games in 2011 and that season dind’t end badly for us. Dude hasn’t played a full season since 2008 and health is not his strong suit.

Overall, we continue to get stronger as a team. It’s a wonderful market for bargain shoppers.

I absolutely LOVE the Patterson signing.

I’m going to assume that they put Kuhn on the PUP list and let the other five (plus a likely draft pick) compete for roster spots and playing time. At this point none of them should be assuming his role in the rotation or even whether he’ll be suiting up, though undoubtedly Joseph will be a regular starter because they have to assume he will play better than he did last year.

So….Jenkins and Austin are the penetrators, Rogers and Patterson are the run-stuffers who can also push back the pocket, and Joseph will be asked to do both. I can see them carrying five and dressing a changeable four depending upon the opponent’s offensive strengths and tendencies.

If they draft a defensive tackle then only Joseph is safe. Everyone else is competing for a job. And THAT is exactly what you want. I’ll bet Rogers comes to camp in what passes for him as very good shape. And we’re going to see everything that Austin has to offer very early on.

For my money, I say hang onto Joseph, Patterson and Jenkins and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

•  Begiant says:

From what a lot of Eagles fans are saying this was a very good pickup. I agree 100%

•  Chad Eldred says:

It’s going to be a very interesting camp for the DT’s. I’m very curious to see how Rogers does. Playing your way into shape is not uncommon for young DT’s who tend to carry some extra baggage. Later in the career it is not as easy. Even a space eater has to get out of his stance in a reasoably timely manner.

Overall, I don’t know how anyone could complain. I never would have imagined we could have markedly improved our DT situation this offseason with the finanical contraints, but somehow Reese and company have done it.

6.  GeezUp says:

Y’all Cruz lovers can cry all y’all want about Reese not just giving him what he wants but JR pre-draft is building one helluva team to be the first team in NFL history to win a Superbowl on their home field. I’m getting more and more excited about the upcoming season with each addition, with the exception of Dan Connor of course. But hey, I wanted Dansby. Can u fault me though? lol Anyways, JR is the MAN!!!

7.  BillyS says:

I really, really like this Patterson signing. He’s got a lot left in the tank and brings tons of experience with him. We suddenly have tons of depth at DT, but I don’t think that will keep us from going after a DT in the draft. Don’t forget that him and Rogers are only one 1 year deals and if a stud falls to us then there’s no way they could pass on him because we’ve got a guy here on a 1 year deal. What this does do is keeps us from reaching for someone who may not be the best value simply because they don’t have adequate depth, that’s what hurts teams most (I’m looking at you, Jacksonville). I really like this move.

8.  JBeast says:

I love the signing but how much can we count on this guy that had a clot and brain surgery? But if we are getting the guy before all those issues we are getting a really good player. I’m happy for Hixon I hope he gets paid big time and get a lot of playing time.

With this signing I don’t think DT is a high priority in the draft unless Star or Floyd falls to us. It’s looking like it will be an OL/CB in the first round.

9.  Dirt says:

@SI_PeterKing: RT @TheFenderLaws: Thoughts on Domenik Hixon going to Carolina? … One of the most meaningless transactions of the offseason.

Peter King is a hack, but this is pretty spot on

10.  Dirt says:

Dan, do you use Sulia? What’s it all about?