April 2nd, 2013 at 2:05 PM
By Doug Rush

'Victor Cruz' photo (c) 2011, scott mecum - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ The New York Giants and wide receiver Victor Cruz remain at a standstill in contract negotiations.

It's been reported that the Giants have a "very generous" offer on the table for Cruz, with a deal that would pay the Paterson native in excess of $7-plus million per season and a very good chunk of guaranteed money. There has been no official word yet on if Cruz has declined the offer or not, but recent reports suggest the Giants star wideout could be looking for more.

Papa suggests the lingering standoff hinges on the guaranteed money and that Cruz is seeking more than General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. are currently offering. And although this is mere speculation on behalf of Giants 101, it would seem Cruz and his new agent, Tom Condon, are looking for a Mike Wallace-type guarantee of $27 million.

Shortly after that story got published, Cruz went on his Twitter account and posted a message to all of his followers.

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. Now back to #CruzDayTuesday," he tweeted.

What to make of Cruz's mysterious message on Twitter? There are three ways you can look at the tweet.

1. Cruz is just breaking out random quotes, like many others do on Twitter or Facebook accounts.
  2. He heard he's looking for more money, and it's not true.
  3. Public-facing (and name-saving) negotiation tactics.

Some Giants fans are getting the perception that Cruz is becoming more and more greedy through these contract negotiations with the Giants, but that may not be the case at all. In Benton's story on Giants 101, Bob Papa of Sirius Radio and WFAN was the one who speculated on the money intended for Cruz not being enough in the deal.

At the time of the Giants placing the first-round tender on Cruz, which was the start of free agency, Cruz hired his new agent, Tom Condon, a very familiar name for the Giants. Condon, of course, is the agent of current Giants Eli Manning, Mathias Kiwanuka and Mark Herzlich and negotiated all of their deals with the team.

Cruz has until April 19 to sign an offer sheet from another team. If not, then he has to decide on if he plays 2013 with a one-year deal for $2.879 million or waits until after the 2013 season, where he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Stay tuned to Giants 101 for further updates on the continuing contract negotiations between the Giants and Cruz.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Condon, Victor Cruz

18 Responses to “New York Giants’ Victor Cruz: “Believe None of What You Hear and Half of What You See””

1.  Chad Eldred says:

I originally thought that Cruz would end up playing on his tendered contract, but if those figures are correct, I’m inclined to believe he ends up signing in a few weeks. That’s a larger offer than I thought we would make. It’s an offer that is fair for both sides. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but I think this will get done. Things don’t always happen according to the preferred timetable of the fan base.

2.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Now Cruz is just throwing out Jay-Z quotes. I’m off this guy. Good football player? Sure. Other than that…turning down a contract that’s going to take care of him and his family for life, enabling him to stay and play where he has grown up…and won championships, while many of the US still struggles to find jobs or are under employed…the guy to me, at this point is just another scumbag. Re-sign or walk…at this point I just don’t care.

3.  Samardzija says:

Meh, not taking sides in this. Not believing any of the news coming out from the FO at these times. I remember Steve Smith saying he would take that leaked contract in a heartbeat. Highly doubt Cruz got offered that deal and declined.

Moving on;

“A recent MRI showed “no evidence of dysfunction” with the defensive lineman’s heart, which functioned “consistently with that of highly trained athletes” said Dave Petron, Utah’s team physician, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.”

Looks like Star is back in play in the top 15 which could be good news for the Giants who arent exactly stacked at DT.

He’s still a risk, regardless of the MRI, which is “a moment in time” and far from definitive.

•  Samardzija says:

Well yes its a moment in time, but it didnt reveal ny “defect” which is what the concern was. Cant see him getting out of the top 15 picks. Which means the chance of a guy like Sheldon Richardson dropping more likely…

I think his point is another DT will fall to us. Richardson seems most likely out of the top DTs to fall to us. He seems like another Austin type of DT. If Star did fall to us he very well could be our pick but I doubt he falls that far.

Interesting. The Giants are at their “indifference number”. They’ll take him at what they offered, and see him leave if he insists on more, and they will go on and build a good team with or without him. The only exceptions to tough reasoning about contracts they would make would be for Eli, and rightly so, because without him the team is just ordinary. EVERYONE else is replaceable. EVERYONE.

Cruz wants more.

A lot of fans, as testified here on Giants 101, are at or soon will be at, THEIR indifference level, at which point the bloom is off the rose for Cruz and he becomes just another football player rather than a beloved cult figure. He’s playing a very dangerous game. He could very well come out a big loser when he could have had it all. I thought he was smarter than this. I still think he signs at essentially what the Giants have offered, but he may have permanently damaged his relationship with the team and the fans if he drags this thing on too long. And if he holds out? Watch out below.

5.  Levito says:

There’s enough fans out there that don’t pay attention to and don’t care about the contract squabbles. As long as Cruz wears a Giants uniform, plenty of fans will chant his name every time he catches a ball, whether he’s doing it for $2.8MM a year, or $10MM.

In my opinion, it would be beneficial for both sides to come to an agreement and move along. Cruz won’t maximize his value looking over his shoulder to avoid a hit every time he runs a route, and the Giants won’t get their money’s worth if Cruz just plays out the season looking for a big contract next year. If both sides can figure something out, Cruz can play all out and the Giants can focus on getting Nicks’ contract under wraps.

Sure, that’s the smart move. But we’re talking football players here.

A big part of the issue the team has with Cruz is Nicks, and Prince, and JPP, and Joseph, and Randle, and on and on. They cannot allow him to “hold them up” because once they do that their cap is busted or they’ll lose players they feel they need to keep, a number of whom are quite frankly much more critical to the team’s success than is Victor Cruz.

I try to be objective about these disputes, and I generally lean toward the player because the owners need no one’s sympathy. But in this case either the reports are wrong about the proposal, or Cruz is screwing the pooch.

F55 I think you feel as JR and does. But that doesn’t mean Cruz is wrong either. I said for long that I wouldn’t re-sign Cruz long term because it’s too much money tied up in the WR position. However, looking at it from the Cruz perspective as Nosh has laid out several times I don’t think Cruz is necessarily looking at it wrong from his perspective.

I think a shorter deal like 2-3 years would make more sense if Cruz feels like he’s being undervalued but wants security. Cruz would still be young enough to get a big contract after a 2-3 type deal. A short deal would still allow us to extend JPP, Nicks and Prince.

I’m not as concerned about Cruz’s deal as others but not because I’m annoyed just because we can survive fine without Cruz long term. We still are all but guaranteed to have him for 2013. I’m not going to have any ill will towards Cruz regardless of what happens. When JR has to act a certain when it’s contract time, I don’t blame players like Osi and Cruz for doing the same. Although, it won’t work with JR.

7.  Hanshi says:

If Cruz has until the 19th, why shouldn’t he wait and if no other teams gives him an offer sheet then sign the Giants deal. I know that’s not what we all want but isn’t that the best thing for him?

You’re correct in theory though most expect no for him. I just think there’s a growing feeling that he’s not going to re-sign. But if he does sign it should be between the 19th and the draft.

I never really thought he was going to re-sign and the offer was better than I expected. So I do think him re-signing is 50-50 before the draft ends.

8.  GeezUp says:

Good thing I didn’t get that #3 Cruz! jersey. I’m so fed up with this contract situation/negotiation! He’s becoming the NFL version of Dwight Howard!!!

•  kujo says:

Not nearly that bad.

Not even in the same zip code. The NBA the money was set aside. So Howard was just deciding on staying or going. Cruz is not getting the money he wants. Completely different!