Osi Umenyiora Says Goodbye; Thanks All the “Real” New York Giants Fans

March 29th, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora is now a member of the Atlanta Falcons, having signed a two-year, $8.5 million deal earlier this week. During his introductory press conference on Thursday, Umenyiora spoke highly of his former team, the New York Giants, and specifically their General Manager, Jerry Reese. But on Friday, the Chief took to Twitter to thank the "real" fans for a wonderful 10 years.

"To the Giants, and all the REAL Giants fans, thank you for 10 wonderful years. You will be missed for sure," Umenyiora tweeted. "To the Falcons, and all the REAL Falcons fans, THANK YOU for this opportunity; you won't regret it. Now Rise the f up!"

Umenyiora, of course, was referring to the fans who have stuck with him and supported him when others had given up on him and wished him away. We'll call that a primary product of social media, as many of those fans have taken to Facebook or Twitter to direct messages of undeserved hate towards him.

Love him or hate him, there's no denying that Osi gave the Giants a great 10 years, which included two Super Bowl championships and multiple NFL and franchise records.

We here at Giants 101 wish Umenyiora the very best moving forward except when he plays the Giants.

photo credit: MattBritt00 via photopin cc

Tags: Atlanta, Atlanta Falcons, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

36 Responses to “Osi Umenyiora Says Goodbye; Thanks All the “Real” New York Giants Fans”

1.  Dirt says:

You know, what the hell is the point of a salary cap when the small market teams all suck anyway? Looking at you Jacksonville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Kansas City, Tennessee, Carolina. So the teams that know what they’re doing have to lose stars while you continue to suck?

It’s called no QB. I think because they have a QB Carolina is different than the others in that group. They actually have real hope. I might be the only one but I think Weeden looked like he could be the answer for Cleveland. But when you miss on QBs, big market or small market you feel it.

•  Dirt says:

The public answer is competitive balance, which is crap.

The real answer is wage suppresion obviously. But let’s stop pretending that Jacksonville will ever assemble a roster that is competitive year in and year out with the help of a salary cap.

Jacksonville has been good in the past. But that’s Mark Brunell, David Garrad and Bryon Leftwitch performed well. It’s really as simple as consistent QB play. What team with consistent good QB play is bad? Even a team like Dallas is average. SD was good when Rivers played better and know have taken a step back because he’s not as good. Indy has been good and will be good due to QB play.

Really the NFL isn’t competitively balanced? Look at the redskins they sucked even though they spent heavily. Then they get fined 18 mil but get a QB and everything changes. Philly gets good QB play from Vick and they win the division, bad play from him the last 2 years and they become a bad team.

Also, it’s front offices. There’s no salary cap for front offices and teams like us, Bmore, Pitt and GB have befitted from just being smarter about picking players due to more resources and better people in executive management.

•  demo3356 says:

yeah, Green Bay, Indianapolis and New Orleans all say hi…
      Conversely the Jets, Dolphins and Skins have no idea what you are talking about….

•  Dirt says:

Yeah. I thought about this as I wrote it. I’m not talking about the loser big markets, that’s their own bad.

But GB, that’s a whole different animal, where football is life.

Indy and NO were all 1 QB away from being garbage as well. I can’t wait to see the mess NO turns into when Saint Brees retires.

•  Dirt says:

It’s not like Jacksonville or Kansas City or Cleveland or St. Louis or Buffalo or Carolina are just stacked with good football players afforded to them by a salary cap and they’re one QB away from greatness. They literally have terrible football teams generally from top to bottom.

•  Dirt says:

So I guess what I’m saying is it’s not like these clown teams are signing stars. It seems the stars just shuffle between the haves and the have nots don’t do anything.

Perhaps the salary floor will fix this, but I’m not banking on it.

Repost:

Pat White is interesting if he’s still PS eligible.

If we are looking at QBs in that realm then Denard Robinson is an interesting option. Because at the pro level he projects to a WR or RB but in practice he can help on scout team. Robinson showed toughness and his athleticism would seems to translate well on special teams not only return wise but in coverage units. He’s still likely not worth than a 5th round or later pick but him or a player like him might be our some real value.

Russell Shepard is also a name to keep an on from LSU. He was moved to WR but was recruit to LSU as the #1 QB in the country. He can provide many of the same things Robinson can provide.

•  Dirt says:

I’m not sure he is eligible, since he was drafted in ’09, but I’m an uninformed anonymous poster

He’s been out of football for the last 2 years I think though. I was more questioning it because he might have been active too many games in his first 2 years to qualify.

•  Dirt says:

My personal opinion is “Pat White – why not?” It’s a position you hope never has to play a single down. So why not take the spot on someone that can give you an entirely different dynamic in a pinch?

It’s not like the team is going anywhere if Eli goes down for the season. Not with Killdrive not having faith that the replacement understands his system. Might as well force upon him a guy that has no chance of fitting in his system.

Plus the scout reps for the 2013-sytle offenses is a plus.

I don’t think you can afford a roster spot for firm though. Look at how positions like CB and WRs have suffered injuries in the past. You can’t be cheap on dept because that’s how you win in the NFL. White due to his built can’t really contribute in other areas. But guys like Robinson and Shepard can contribute on special teams and are developmental projects at WR or another position.

3. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

OK, as it relates to the downtime yesterday:

Yeah, it sucks. It’s annoying and frustrating. Clearly some of the readers don’t understand how infuriating and frustrating it is for me, the Giants 101 staff and the network as whole. Some of the comments/e-mail were absurd. As if we do this sh*t on purpose.

People need to remember this is a FREE service. Free service has some downside to it. Look at the crappy ads we have to run and how much updating we have to do to even afford this site anymore.

Everyone needs to realize the traffic has become MASSIVE on G101. And while that’s all warm and cozy, that also means I need to spend a ridiculous amount of money to keep this site up and running.

Yesterday the issue came up when the main server went down and it tried to switch to the back-up (which, contrary to popular belief, is up-to-date. That’s one of the recent improvement. It no longer reverts back to 24 hours, but literally only three minute behind real time). The relay was broken and we couldn’t access to the back-up. Alas, the entire network was down until that could be repaired by the server host.

I understand it bugs people when these things happen, and I’d love it to never happen, but it does. And until I came afford something far more substantial, hiccups are going to happen.

•  Dirt says:

Dan, I’d actually like to thank you for the downtime – it allowed me to actually get some work done!

Don’t sweat it. And I didn’t see it here (maybe it was on the terrible facebook) but for everyone else, don’t be a dbag.

Mmmm Kettle Chips.

Although I have never complained I use to wonder WTH when the site was down. But last year when you explained this is not your full-time job I understood. This site being free and this is you “hobby” requires no explanation IMO.

4.  James Stoll says:

And I was expecting a Victor Cruz signing.
    Dan, you tease!!

Using technology guarantees glitches. Don’t sweat it Dan. You won’t lose anyone, even the folks who complain bitterly, just because you went down for a while. Maybe the people who come to you on Facebook (I’ve never seen that site and don’t intend to do so) are jerks, but I think the crowd here is pretty understanding. Your work is appreciated even if no one expresses it frequently enough.

I’ve made myself clear in regard to The Chief. He really should always be treasured by all Giants fans. We aren’t where we are without him. That’s the simple truth that overwhelms any minor complaints anyone might have.

7.  BadBadLeroyBrown says:

And this is another prime reason why Giants fans for the most part (UNREAL Giants fans as Osi would say)arent crying over Osi leaving. That and the fact that Osi stopped “trying” to play the run after Michael Strahan retired(his stats even reflect as much).

8.  BigBlueGiant says:

If Pat White can catch the ball and run routes, i’ll take him over Jernigan.

9.  wlubake says:

I’ll always remember Osi as a unique turnover-creating DE. His mastery of the strip sack is without equal in the NFL. Great instincts once he closes in on the QB. Special skill from a very good player. Atlanta shouldn’t hope for too much out of Osi, but when he gets near the QB, good things happen.

I did have a chuckle about Osi’s comment that Atlanta is the most skilled team he’s ever seen. This is the same team he essentially shut out a little over a year ago. They’ve gotten better, but it’s mainly the same core.

10.  kujo says:

The 2013 G101 Community Mock Off is officially ON! Send your 4-round mock drafts to mkier86 AT aol DOT com, along with your username. Results will be posted–and discussed–draft day!