New York Giants Free Agent WR Domenik Hixon Will Meet with Oakland Raiders

March 28th, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Unrestricted free agent wide receiver Domenik Hixon met earlier this month with the Detroit Lions, but left without signing a contract. Some reports suggested he may have been waiting for other opportunities to open up, including a potential return to the New York Giants, but that has not yet happened. In the interest of keeping said options open, the veteran will now make his way to California to meet with the Oakland Raiders.

Hixon, 28, has been perhaps the most underrated player on the Giants during his tenure. And although he's received a lot of criticism for a variety of injuries, he's also been one of Eli Manning's most reliable and trusted targets over the last six years. He's filled a variety of roles, started when called upon and provided excellent value on special teams, specifically as a return man.

However, and for whatever reason, the Giants seem prepared to move on from Hixon. Earlier this month they signed former Carolina Panthers wide receiver Louis Murphy and don't seem overly concerned about finding new return men.

In 61 career games with the Giants, Hixon has hauled in 102 receptions for 1,405 yards and six touchdowns. He's also returned 56 punts for 597 yards and one touchdown, as well as 80 kickoffs for 1,966 yards and one touchdown. The jack of all trades has also rushed the ball three times for 18 yards, while adding 31 special teams tackles.

Tags: Detroit, Detroit Lions, Domenik Hixon, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Oakland, Oakland Raiders

12 Responses to “New York Giants Free Agent WR Domenik Hixon Will Meet with Oakland Raiders”

I love Hixon. If he’d sign a veteran minimum contract I don’t know why the Giants would allow him to leave. This one is a head-scratcher for me. The guy does everything well even if not at an elite level. He’s a quality receiver who can beat 2nd and 3rd corners on a pretty consistent basis. He’s a very good return man. He can be a gunner. He’s a “glue guy” who makes teams better on the field and in the locker room. Every player and coach loves him. They don’t yet have all of the wide receivers they’ll need. Why allow him to walk? Makes no sense to me.

I think when he explored free agency the team … assuming he’d take an offer like the one the Rams put on the table … moved on. Now we have Murphy and it’s too late to change that.

•  jfunk says:

Yep, Hixon could have been here, but his money was just given to Murphy.

I think it’s too late now. Barring injury that final WR spot will likely be for a young developmental player.

•  BadBadLeroyBrown says:

Maybe its Hixon who is looking for a larger role rather than to come back to fight for the #4WR spot behind Nicks,Cruz,Randle. With the Raiders he’ll definitely get a shot to start or at the very least become there #3WR

The giants would probably take him back for that much. But why would Hixon come back? Hixon isn’t locked into a battle to be our 3rd WR this year he would be in a battle just to be 4th. He might not really even see the field for us if Randle and Murphy provide what we expect. And there’s Jernigan as well who will probably be used more. Players want to play and I don’t see that as a likely possibility from his stand point. I know players like him frequently go to other teams and don’t have success. But given his sliding roster spot by next year especially if Nicks and Cruz return Hixon isn’t likely to me on our roster anyway.

Plus now we have 5 WRs. If we keep only 6 WRs like we did last year I think we would prefer a young guy who we can develop into a Hixon type and control for 3-4 years on the cheap. Only 5 WRs might be active game days which could leave Hixon out as well. Basically, there’s very little room for him in our WR group. He could return but if I was him I would try elsewhere because I have a far great chance of playing time and thus having impact enough to further my career going forward.

Osi is like a political party here. It seems like either you are for him or against him. I love Osi and do in many ways agree with Jim/F55 and other sentiments about how he will be missed. However, I do feel that the production we got from Osi in 2012 can be replaced. Norm pointed out Jenkins as a key factor and I agree. But the real key factor is Tuck. Some made fun of Osi as not being that important because he was starting but wasn’t starting because he was behind a allpro type in JPP and a probowl type in Tuck. Neither played like that last year. The DT situation was part of the issue but also it was that JPP or Tuck didn’t play as well. I feel like 2012 was a learning experience for JPP and he will be better for it. We might not see 16.5 sacks but I think we will see a much more effective DE. The question is Tuck. Now I know Tuck struggled through much of 2011 as well but he did play well those final 6 games on our SB run. In 2012 we didn’t see that Tuck. We need that SB run Tuck for the defense to succeed. JPP and Jenkins will help but the DL can only be elite again with the re-emergence of Tuck as an upper tier DE. Kiwi can also help but I think it takes Tuck to make our DE position what it needs to be. I have a better idea what I’m going to get from JPP and Kiwi than Tuck.

Rooting for Hixon to make some money. He’s been a good guy … and deserves a break. Too bad he missed the Al Davis give-away years.

As for O$i, I don’t see anyone bashing his talent. Oh sure, he gets some flak for not being great against the run. But not much … especially lately. And I think most of us realize we’re a better team with him than without him.

BUT … I won’t miss his b-tching and his contract antics. It was a long running act, and it got very stale by the end. In a few years he’ll be 35 … retired rich … won’t have to work a day for the rest of his life. On top of that he’s engaged to a beauty queen. He’s living the dream while a billion people exist on a dollar a day. I just wish that once in a while he acknowledged how damn fortunate he is … instead of whining and complaining that he was only making $7,000,000 a year. Boo hoo …

•  BadBadLeroyBrown says:

Hit the nail on the head in regards to “Oh-see”[Osi] Mario Williams got paid what about me.

He was the Master of the stationary bike lol…

If we bring Tim Hightower in it’s only to challenge Torrian for a roster spot. Not to say Scott has his roster spot locked but I don’t think Hightower and Torrian can be your 3rd and 4th RBs. The skill diversity is not enough plus they both have had durability issues. I think you bring in a late round draft pick or an UDFA and let him challenge for Scott’s spot. We need more speed in the backup role than Hightower and Torrian provide. I like Scott’s potential and while he does need to step up I don’t think this type of pick up is trying to replace him.

Also part of the reason we won’t bring Bradshaw back is because we really want to hand over the reins to Wilson and Brown. Having Bradshaw around makes that more difficult.

5.  jfunk says:

Osi was a great player and his production will be missed.

However, statements like “the Giants undervalued him” and ” he could have stayed for less” are inaccurate.

Osi Umenyiora is making less money than the Giants EVER paid him since his second year in the league. He’s making less money than Reese offered him just one year ago. Remember, Reese repeatedly offered him raises over the past two seasons, just not raises he was satisfied with. He was even “insulted” by the guarantee amount in last year’s attempt (the same $5M guaranteed he just signed for). Now he’s making less than all of those offers. Amazing how a after a few weeks as a FA agent he’s suddenly thrilled to be signing an offer that’s for less money than he called insulting when it was coming from Reese a year ago.

Osi Umenyiora is the sole reason Osi isn’t a Giant for life. He’s playing elsewhere and doing it for less money than the Giants offered him.

His production will not be replaced on the field and it’s sad to see him finish his career elsewhere, but let’s not pretend he was pushed out the door. He threw a temper tantrum and marched himself out that door.

•  jfunk says:

…only to find that not a single one of the other 31 actually want him as much as Jerry Reese did.

6.  jfunk says:

Regarding Hightower, somebody said it before but it’s worth repeating.

How can you possibly complain about the Giants taking a look at Hightower after just watching Lumpkin take snaps a few months ago?

There are only two backs better than a healthy Hightower on this roster and you need more than that to make it through most seasons.